Armed Response

Guest Bronson-2007

Got stopped a while back leaving permision, Sgt Plod blocked the lane with his car, when I got out and asked him what he was doing I was told to get back in my vehicle and wait, within minutes two ARV turned up (four armed coppers one did the questioning and checking of firearms three pointing their guns at us) and held us under gunpoint for nearly an hour while they carried out checks I asked why the had arrived in force they answered "a member of the public had reported hearing gunshots".

Not good !!

Edited by Bronson-2007

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been stopped once since i've had my fac for having no mot (which i did'nt relise had run out 3 weeks before hand), but he never mentioned anything about firearms even though my details must have came up on he's check.

Also, just as i was driving away from my permission just before getting my fac i was stopped by 3 police cars as someone phoned them saying i was walking about the fields with a gun, i had the gun in the slip on the passenger seat as i was on the way to another permission just along the road, he popped he's head right in the window and checked that it was just an air rifle then checked my letter of permission before confirming over the radio that i did have permission. As i drove away i thought surely that should of been the job for armed response, i could of been another Dereck Bird for all they knew. Pleased it was'nt and i was only there for a few minutes.

I have been stopped once......

I parked at the side of the road and opened a locked gate that has a combination padlock on it (its bloody obvious that i know the owner when i know the combination) went through the gate with my shotgun, an old man was walking past, he looked at me and i said hello, waved and carried on into the wood and out on to the landowners fields.

Returned to the car and drove off, a few minutes later a police car behind me........they asked me to stop, i pulled over, two local officers came up, they stated we dont know why we have been called, we pnc checked the car and then run your name as the registered keeper through the pnc (dont you all recall in 2007 the police put all sgc and fac holders on the police national computer) and we know you have a shotgun certificate.......

the old man had rung police stating he had seen someone going into the woods with a gun (i thought the woods were the place to go shooting, i could understand him ringing if i was going into a school or pub) and apparently he had seen my car there a week before?

the cops couldn't understand why they had been sent and were embarassed stopping and talking to me....they said it was all already sorted by the control room and as far as they were concerned the car check and then the name check should have been enough.....they were pleasant enough lads , asked me what i had been shooting, i proved i had permission we had a natter and they wished me well

when i go lamping to my work i always have to phone for job number and even with that ive had the armed responce turn out four times and my mates had them out six time ,we sit in there car till they check it out they have a shot of our guns and go .

But the minute they radio in your car reg they get all your details they know your a certificate holder

armed responce had been called out on me and a patrol car turned up and followed me round the village for 10 mins but would not pull me (even tho i knew they wanted me) then the armed responce cars took over.

i will ask the question next time

I have been told that a marker won't appear automatically for a vehicle as it is the individual that has an FAC/SGC. Once the police stop you and check driver details that is when a marker appears..... and that kinda makes sense as although the vehicle may be registered to someone that has a FAC/SGC doesn't mean they are the person driving the vehicle.

Edited by dave1372

i was stopped about a foughtnight ago the plod followed me for about three miles down country roads as we were lamping out the window when he finnaly put the blinkers on and stopped me he asked me why i was so far away from home and asked if i had a fire arm with me then asked what i was doing ? mind the blitz sittin on the dash of my van i would have thought it pretty obvious very tempting to reply sun bathing but some of them dont have a sense of humour

I had the helicopter out a couple of months ago at 4 in the morning I was in some woods so I walked back to the car opened the boot and laid both shoties out broken  then phoned the herts control room told them that the helicopter was over head I gave them my URN No and was told to walk away from the car and keep my hands on show as soon as I walked away 2 bobbies appeared they were hiding and waiting for a ARV HAND CUFFS were put on then the ARV arrived 10 mins later the copper who put the cuffs on was a right gobby twat recond I was going to get 5 years

When the ARV finally arrived what a result the driver was a member of the same clay shooting club as me he duly bollocked the gobby one sent the copter on its way turned out the first two coppers had seen my car and it flagged up as owner having a SGC and they called the helicoptor in

I later got a call from the duty Inspector Apolagising for any inconveniance 

I had the helicopter out a couple of months ago at 4 in the morning I was in some woods so I walked back to the car opened the boot and laid both shoties out broken  then phoned the herts control room told them that the helicopter was over head I gave them my URN No and was told to walk away from the car and keep my hands on show as soon as I walked away 2 bobbies appeared they were hiding and waiting for a ARV HAND CUFFS were put on then the ARV arrived 10 mins later the copper who put the cuffs on was a right gobby twat recond I was going to get 5 years

When the ARV finally arrived what a result the driver was a member of the same clay shooting club as me he duly bollocked the gobby one sent the copter on its way turned out the first two coppers had seen my car and it flagged up as owner having a SGC and they called the helicoptor in

What's a URN number?

I had the helicopter out a couple of months ago at 4 in the morning I was in some woods so I walked back to the car opened the boot and laid both shoties out broken then phoned the herts control room told them that the helicopter was over head I gave them my URN No and was told to walk away from the car and keep my hands on show as soon as I walked away 2 bobbies appeared they were hiding and waiting for a ARV HAND CUFFS were put on then the ARV arrived 10 mins later the copper who put the cuffs on was a right gobby twat recond I was going to get 5 years

What's a URN number?

Its basically the number the police assistance desk give you when you phone up to tell them you are out lamping. Normally I only do this if I am going to be out and about near a residential area.

I had the helicopter out a couple of months ago at 4 in the morning I was in some woods so I walked back to the car opened the boot and laid both shoties out broken then phoned the herts control room told them that the helicopter was over head I gave them my URN No and was told to walk away from the car and keep my hands on show as soon as I walked away 2 bobbies appeared they were hiding and waiting for a ARV HAND CUFFS were put on then the ARV arrived 10 mins later the copper who put the cuffs on was a right gobby twat recond I was going to get 5 years

What's a URN number?

Its basically the number the police assistance desk give you when you phone up to tell them you are out lamping. Normally I only do this if I am going to be out and about near a residential area.

Thanks.

Just asked a friend of mine the situation.

The only marker for a FAC/SGC holder will be on a person, not on a vehicle. Therefore they will need to have your name and date of birth in order to check whether you are a holder.

When they check the car it will tell them who is the keeper and who can drive it, so chances are they find your date of birth from some previous encounter or record and hey presto.

When I ring my local police to tell them i'm going out for whatever reason, I get asked my date of birth as routine, so it would be fairly simple to get the two bits of information together.

Amendments (Textual)F1Words repealed by Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c. 65), Sch. 29F2Words repealed (E.W.) by Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (c. 60, SIF 95), s. 121(1), Sch. 7 Pt. IModifications etc. (not altering text)<A class=commentary-number title="Click here to jump back to the reference to this commentary item." href="#comref-981228">C1S. 46 applied by Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 (c. 45, SIF 51:1), s. 25(5)

47. Powers of constables to stop and search.

(1) A constable may require any person whom he has reasonable cause to suspect

(a) of having a firearm, with or without ammunition, with him in a public place; or

to be committing or about to commit, elsewhere than in a public place, an offence relevant for the purposes of this section,to hand over the firearm or any ammunition for examination by the constable.

(2) It is an offence for a person having a firearm or ammunition with him to fail to hand it over when required to do so by a constable under subsection (1) of this section.

(3) If a constable has reasonable cause to suspect a person of having a firearm with him in a public place, or to be committing or about to commit, elsewhere than in a public place, an offence relevant for the purposes of this section, the constable may search that person and may detain him for the purpose of doing so.

(4) If a constable has reasonable cause to suspect that there is a firearm in a vehicle in a public place, or that a vehicle is being or is about to be used in connection with the commission of an offence relevant for the purposes of this section elsewhere than in a public place, he may search the vehicle and for that purpose require the person driving or in control of it to stop it.

(5) For the purpose of exercising the powers conferred by this section a constable may enter any place.

(6) The offences relevant for the purpose of this section are those under sections 18(1) and (2) and 20 of this Act.

Production of certificates.

(1) A constable may demand, from any person whom he believes to be in possession of a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of this Act applies, or of a shot gun, the production of his firearm certificate or, as the case may be, his shot gun certificate.

(2) If a person upon whom a demand is made under this section fails to produce the certificate or to permit the constable to read it, or to show that he is entitled by virtue of this Act to have the firearm, ammunition or shot gun in his possession without holding a certificate, the constable may seize and detain the firearm, ammunition or shot gun and may require the person to declare to him immediately his name and address.

(3) If under this section a person is required to declare to a constable his name and address, it is an offence for him to refuse to declare it or to fail to give his true name and address.

Edited by Urban Fox Control London