Favourite lurcher to work with bushing terriers

I work a collie/greyhound first cross alongside my terriers when bushing for rabbits. We don't chase many and catch very little of what we do chase, but we do have some great sport. Most of the land i work comprises of small fields, woodland and disused railway tracks. I would probably catch more if i just worked terriers, but i enjoy watching the lurcher run. I may be getting another lurcher soon to work alongside my ageing bitch, but haven't fully decided what.. maybe collie/greyhoundxwhippet......bedlington/whippet x collie/greyhound or maybe a whippet, but i do think whippets or over priced. Anyway just wondering if anybody else is like me in that they come home with a empty rucksack on most occasions, but just keeps at it and also what your preferred bushing lurcher is or would be.

Pure bred whippet IMO :thumbs:

My two lurchers - both 26" tts, work well with my russell. The lurcher dog in particular has learned to listen carefully and often snatches a rabbit just as it breaks cover. We come home empty handed often enough. I would say may dogs are happy and fulfilled. They're delighted with a catch but love to hunt. It's not being given the work that would ruin them in my opinion.....

ferretingoctober2010130.jpg

untitled.jpg

I have a first cross collie / greyhound shes very good at ferreting and bushing, she could do with a bit more speed on the lamp. I also work a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 bull- very fast straight line speed, not so good on the turn but hes for bigger stuff!- good lamping dog. I also have a third dog- 1/2 whippet 1/4 greyhound 1/4 bull pup, he should make a good all rounder!.

Lurchers used for bushing don't have to be restricted only to small dogs. The type of land our dogs bush on is exactly as you describe, woodland and disused railway lines (or it was till they started using the bloody thing again for steam trains :thumbdown: ) One of the best lurchers I have for this kind of work is my 29" deer x. Shes very agile for her size and is more than a match for the smaller lurchers I keep (deer x's and collie x between 23 and 25" tts) when it comes to bushing and regularly puts something in the bag, along with her terrier mates :thumbs:

In her younger days she was excellent, shes getting on a bit now (10) but still, to this day, holds her own with the younger dogs - that said shes rubbish at ferreting, she wasnt brought up as a ferreting dog and hasnt the patience for it, she likes to hunt and she does it very well

isla2.jpg

isla1.jpg

and more recently

DSC_0067-1.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048-2.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

So Isla, my 29" first cross deerhound greyhound, is without doubt my favourite bushing lurcher :)

I'm with Keeps (crackin pics too!) in that I don't think size matters that much. What I would go for is a speedier type (cross unimportant), personally, i wouldn't be lookin to a half cross bull or collie. Now if its a whippet type or deerhound type, all that matters is that it tunes in and is fast off the mark. Oh yer, i'd be wary of terrier blooded dogs too, i've found 'em all too keen to crash through themselves, missing the bolt, when all i want 'em to do is keep 'dixy'! :thumbs:

ive been beatin the woods lately :D and my deerhound grey bull grey has been havin some fantastic runs hes only 15 month and coming on a treat atb Top Lamper

this is the pack I run the lurcher usually stays on the outside waiting for a bolt but if the quarry bolts back into cover hes straight in after it. the big dog lying down is a pointer lab x and no better game findin dog have i owned and he can scoop a sheep shit up without breaking stride.

post-30088-060081000 1287432631_thumb.jpg

ive been beatin the woods lately :D and my deerhound grey bull grey has been havin some fantastic runs hes only 15 month and coming on a treat atb Top Lamper

this is the pack I run the lurcher usually stays on the outside waiting for a bolt but if the quarry bolts back into cover hes straight in after it. the big dog lying down is a pointer lab x and no better game findin dog have i owned and he can scoop a sheep shit up without breaking stride.

HA HA.. CRACKING LINE :laugh: ..I don't know what they feed the sheep on these days, but what comes out the back must be tasty for a dog... My old lurcher would regularly come back with shitebreath after going missing through cover... five seconds is all she needed :doh: