Shooters dog?

As some of yez may know, I am out of the field right now. I hope to get my FAC back next year, and start some serious field shooting. Bunnies, foxes, and if I can deer and wild boar. Following all the threads on THL, it has become very clear that I am going to need a dog. I am asking here, rather than the dog forums, because I just plain don't know enough about dogs. My Dad had a great lurcher. He (the dog, not the Dad) was a collie/GSD X grey. Bright as hell, agile, turn on a tanner, bloody quick and a powerhouse agin Reynard.( I'm talking 1950s). I reckon that would make a great dog to take out with a gun. Flush quarry, zap bunnies, follow up missed shots. Yes you guys, I admit that I don't always make a one-shot-drop. The dog could also be trained to track deer.

Any sensible views welcome, about possible breeding, or even about the idea of using a dog with a gun to hunt, welcome. I DO NOT WANT TO START A FIGHT with the dogmen, OK?

Ric

Not being funn but i'm not sure if flushing game with a lurcher and trying to shoot it with a rifle is going to work. If you want a dog to catch game, get a lurcher. If you want a dog to flush and retrieve game to be shot with a shotgun then get a spaniel or lab, depending on what suits your personality. If your wanting a dog to track deer, follow up wounded beasts etc, you can't beat a teckel. But trying to shoot over a running dog is a recipe for disaster. Just my thoughts.

Not being funn but i'm not sure if flushing game with a lurcher and trying to shoot it with a rifle is going to work. If you want a dog to catch game, get a lurcher. If you want a dog to flush and retrieve game to be shot with a shotgun then get a spaniel or lab, depending on what suits your personality. If your wanting a dog to track deer, follow up wounded beasts etc, you can't beat a teckel. But trying to shoot over a running dog is a recipe for disaster. Just my thoughts.

Got to agree, the only reason for a rifle man to have a dog in most cases is for tracking deer, and there are plenty of good tracking breeds, even the humble lab.

Call Dave Platt, Deerhound Greyhound, reputable breeder of top class hounds sent all over the world for all quarry. :thumbs:

Imagine trying to flush it with a deer/grey and drop it with a rifle? Apart from anything else it would ruin the dog surely?

Thanks guys. So you reckon a classic gundog would be a better bet? No problem with me, just that I have such great memories of the Dad's big mean yeller hound! A good working Lab is probably my best bet then.

Again, thanks.

Ric

Ok...I get where your coming form Ric..

I, as you well know, am a shooter. My chosen dog, is a lurcher.

She is not used to flush to the gun, but when we are out she comes with us and us used to follow up wounded animals. Which she does very well.

Whilst not a trained retriever, she listens intently when the gun is fired, in the same manner...And wants to go to the site of the kill. Most of our shooting is done at night, and she will look through cover to find and retrieve lost rabbits for instance. Its not retrieve to hand all the time, but 70% of the time, she does.

My dog is 23" tts and and is not used to hunt any thing bigger than rabbits. But will find bigger shot quarry... And whilst i have not wounded any deer, she can find shot deer no problem in cover.

I would also point out that I use the do for traditional lurcher hunting methods as well, from ferreting to lamping...

I would not however take her to a driven shoot.............. laugh.gif That would be one economy too far!!

I've been out with the lurcher/rifle combo many times and seen it work very well. :yes: If you're adding a shotgun to the equation I think I'd be thinking along the lines of a more traditional gun dog. :thumbs:

Again, thanks for some sensible points. I don't have to make a decision yet, so I can weigh up the various ideas. If I were after a dog to work only with a shotgun, it would be a flatcoat and no question. I am thinking more in terms of a "General Purpose" dog to take out with a rifle. Perhaps a smaller lurcher, like a Beddy/Whippet, would be a good choice? I've met some big Bull x Greys and they are great dogs at what they do, but would be spoiled if used as gundogs.

If truth be told, I just like the idea of a day out mooching with a .22lr or .223cf and a good dog to point or retrieve. Proper hunting!

YIS, Ric.

Hi ric,

If its only for tracking teckel, but if your looking for a general purpose dog for tracking, and maybe rabbit and birds, i'd look at the german pointer breeds but only for mostly open fields, i've seen a pointer trained to point the front foot for feather and the rear up for fur...!!!!!!! And it was truely amazing to watch it work....

however they need to be excercised alot, And tend to get problematic and agitated if left alone for long periods...

Not sure what your after quarry wisr but you know where i'm at if i can help.

Snap.