Need help skycat

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i had a bitch that was sal/grey x coll/grey an she was an outstanding bitch for the first 3 seasons i worked her, she took a lot of bunnys, oot in the field an ones that were sat in the hedges,   t

Mines the same, just took it was because she's half collie.

Plan to get something a little less bright next time, whippet possibly with a dash of bull, never thought i'd hear myself saying that :D

You need something that will just hurtle down the edges and force rabbits to panic and make mistakes.

:laugh:

i know that feeling :thumbs:

mine does that aswell mate anything near a fence hedge etc he goes steady for a few seconds then stops and crouches down until i call him back ...... it seems as if they know they aint gona get them doesnt it ! my other one just goes full wack where ever they are ...... doesnt seem to bother me anymore ive learned to live with it :victory:

Some she just goes flat out at some of them the harder ones and catches them quite well, some of the easier ones with a bit more of a chance and she turns her nose up! Suppose they no what there capeable of after catching hundreds over the years!

i agree lads, but even tho i learnt to live with it it killed me haha

another can a worms............

would you breed form a dog or bitch that showed this trait????????

id say deffo no :thumbs:

Good point, hard to say for me realy as the more this goes on im starting to think mine isn't as bad as first thought, she gets alot of bunnys to hit cover hard and they fall into her mouth or come back into open a bang another in the bag! And its just this season realy and ive only been out a handful of times so far, so i couldn't realy comment but it wouldn't realy bother me!

i agree lads, but even tho i learnt to live with it it killed me haha

another can a worms............

would you breed form a dog or bitch that showed this trait????????

id say deffo no :thumbs:

Agree with you there mate, not a trait you want passing on to pups.

I often look at my bitch and wonder how the pups would turn out crossing her with a whippet, but just not worth the risk.

am with dotty on this one , i had a dog do it simular way bred as dottys but older coming up to retirement.

its so frustrating when you know they can and have caught rabbits in that situation before.

as for clever i dont know maybe they just want the easy life lol.

all the best with it ;)

Let's get this into perspective; this is a 15 month old first X Deerhound Greyhound ! It's only just starting, (or should be), they're not the cleverest breed and are renowned late starters, so give the dog a chance ! I have the litter sister to this dog, and am just starting her now,she came into season last month, or I would have started her earlier. She's learning from my other dogs, and I have high hopes for her, but I don't expect her to be a world beater, yet ! Davey, give him a chance, show him some game, take the rough with the smooth, he's got the breeding so I'm sure he'll come good !

Cheers.

Let's get this into perspective; this is a 15 month old first X Deerhound Greyhound ! It's only just starting, (or should be), they're not the cleverest breed and are renowned late starters, so give the dog a chance ! I have the litter sister to this dog, and am just starting her now,she came into season last month, or I would have started her earlier. She's learning from my other dogs, and I have high hopes for her, but I don't expect her to be a world beater, yet ! Davey, give him a chance, show him some game, take the rough with the smooth, he's got the breeding so I'm sure he'll come good !

Cheers.

im sure it will, like i said, i dont think its the same thing as my bitch as she was a working dog in her prime

whereasthis is about a puppy :thumbs:

sorry for hijacking the thread :icon_redface:

Sorry lads but any chance of advise of how to stop it I out tonight

Sorry mate, as above! Start with alot of easy runs or try to get as close as you can to the bunnys on the fence befor running the dog,if by this time the dog has no chance of getting it cos the bunnys making a move, keep the dog collared up, or it will only get worse! Will come with time!

My bitch only does it now and again and its not as serious as most have seen on here, its also towards the end of the night when she is tiring a bit!

Davey, believe it or not, but I've got a five year old bitch that I think is just coming into her best !! I talked to her breeder the other night and bragged about how she was getting better !! So don't worry to much about a 15 month old sapling ! He's got loads of time to proove himself, if you give him the chance !

Cheers.

No worries about hijacking thread found it iteresting and not trying to rush him just after a month of light work this started

davey,was the dog started in the day or on the lamp,,just wondering,,

The most important thing with any young dog, no matter what its breeding, is not to let it get discouraged. So if it sees load of rabbits which it has learned, are not catchable because they are too close to the hedge, try taking the dog on to land with which it is unfamiliar. My own dogs are reluctant to dive into hedges on the lamp if I'm running them on ground they also work by day: a dog knows where it is, night or day.

If I take the same dog out at night on to strange land, it will bust cover no problem at all and take rabbits out of the hedge very well. DeerGreys aren't at all stupid: they may not respond well to advanced obedience training until they are coming up 2 years old because they mature so slowly, but as far as predator reflexes go they are as sharp as any dog.

Don't let the dog get fed up with seeing rabbits disappearing down holes by day if you want it to try its hardest at night. I've done this so many times as my dogs get exercised on the same land I lamp: I've found that when starting them off on the lamp it pays to go somewhere completely new, where they don't expect the rabbits to dive to ground in a hedge.

Even within a type or breed you will get some dogs which are more prey driven, hard driving than others, even within the same litter. If you have a dog whose confidence is easily knocked, then do your damnedest to make sure it gets plenty of catches: go out with a gun and knock a few over, bolt some with ferrets on to open land where a catch is more likely. If you can't do either, then exercise the dog somewhere without rabbits so it only sees them when you take it out on the lamp.