pea,s in a pod

took my two young sandys out yesterday for the first time,easy holes,no cover etc although ihad a lie up for at least an hour they bolted six.getting to the point i can,t tell the difference looks wise which jill is which,any sensible advice how to mark them appreciated.

The more you handle them the easier it will become to tell them apart. Other than this if your having problems at a glance when working - try different color collars.

don,t use collars,i,m a bit old fashioned lol,but i know what your saying about character,i got the impression yesterday ones going to be very determined and the others a bit less,but it was only first time so time will tell,cheers

The more you handle them the easier it will become to tell them apart. Other than this if your having problems at a glance when working - try different color collars.

don,t use collars,i,m a bit old fashioned lol,but i know what your saying about character,i got the impression yesterday ones going to be very determined and the others a bit less,but it was only first time so time will tell,cheers

Don't have to necessarily be locator collars, could just be a regular collar, pick them up for a couple of quid. Apart from just getting used to them, the only way to mark them apart is to either do something to the ferrets, which i wouldnt recommend (some idiot on here dyed his pink!) or attach something to the ferrets, and a collar is the logical option. Can't think of much else. Suppose you could shave a bit on the tail or something.

You will be able to tell them apart from simply handling them.. one may have a slightly longer tail than the other .. but the more you handle the more differences you will notice by feeling them :thumbs:

You will be able to tell them apart from simply handling them.. one may have a slightly longer tail than the other .. but the more you handle the more differences you will notice by feeling them :thumbs:

cheers kay,i hope the wife doesn,t get jealous wi awe that feeling stuff :icon_redface:

(some idiot on here dyed his pink!)

just since i was brung up i will say in my defence the dye was only food dye and lasted like 3 days , im total new to ferreting and i had a silly idea , and NOW nobody will let me live it down thanks again ideation lol

just since i was brung up i will say in my defence the dye was only food dye and lasted like 3 days , im total new to ferreting and i had a silly idea , and NOW nobody will let me live it down thanks again ideation lol

Sorry mate, idiot was a bit harsh, but i think it really is one of the daftest things i've seen. At least now we can laugh about it :thumbs:

Kay - yes you are right, you can always tell your ferret from handling and when you are picking her up etc or close to her. And even after a long time you can tell very similar ferrets apart from a distance. But the thing is, try having three very similar albino or polecat ferrets, all from the same line, so same body shape, size, movement etc, all bombing through a warren in a thick hedge, popping up for a second now and again - usually only a head showing. . . . . .you get the idea, a colored collar is really handy for telling at a very quick glance who is where doing what. If that makes sense. Shaving a tail is only so good, how often do you see the tail before you pick it up or are close. . . and then as you said you should know.

Sorry mate, idiot was a bit harsh, but i think it really is one of the daftest things i've seen. At least now we can laugh about it :thumbs:

Kay - yes you are right, you can always tell your ferret from handling and when you are picking her up etc or close to her. And even after a long time you can tell very similar ferrets apart from a distance. But the thing is, try having three very similar albino or polecat ferrets, all from the same line, so same body shape, size, movement etc, all bombing through a warren in a thick hedge, popping up for a second now and again - usually only a head showing. . . . . .you get the idea, a colored collar is really handy for telling at a very quick glance who is where doing what. If that makes sense. Shaving a tail is only so good, how often do you see the tail before you pick it up or are close. . . and then as you said you should know.

i had 2 white hobs brothers & they were very alike except one had a slight kink in his tail that's how I told them apart .. Ringo had the kinky tail & george didnt :laugh:

i had 2 white hobs brothers & they were very alike except one had a slight kink in his tail that's how I told them apart .. Ringo had the kinky tail & george didnt :laugh:

Haha. :thumbs: Wouldnt work if all you saw was a flash in a hedge or a head popping out of a hole. Most of mine are (by accident) different colors, i have three poleys, but the two jills are different ages and the hob . . . is a bog boy, so its not a problem.