Cutting Tool

seany

Thinking of getting one of the above or somthing similar for quik quite clearing of brambles nettles.

Any suggestions experiences,and are they legal to carry on private land?

Seany :thumbs:

well i think you must have good reason to have one!

So i would say you'ed be ok but keep it in your bag when walking anywhere near people!

and only take it out when you need it!!!!!

Thinking of getting one of the above or somthing similar for quik quite clearing of brambles nettles.

Any suggestions experiences,and are they legal to carry on private land?

Seany :thumbs:

well i think you must have good reason to have one!

So i would say you'ed be ok but keep it in your bag when walking anywhere near people!

and only take it out when you need it!!!!!

most of my burys are in hedge bottoms so i thought i could wack the odd stray branch out of the way,plus scare off trespassing dog walkers(joke!) :thumbs:

Get some secateurs, as machettes will make too much noise when chopping away. If you do get a chopping tool like that to cut back the brambles/undergrowth etc then cut them back at least a couple of days in advance or you may find your digging a lot.

JoeD

Been clearing a couple of spots today in preparation for next Sunday i used the bill hook folding saw combo .

Always leave it at least 3-4 days between the clearing of and entering of ferrets , weeks probably better though imo give everything a chance to settle :thumbs:

30 miniutes here

Me too, I clear holes, partner follows laying purse nets down full hedge. Go for a drink a fag and a chat back at vehicle. Go back to first warren done with ferrets quietly. This way this gives chance for bunnies to calm down. Beauty about this is if any slip the nets then theres a good chance of backnetting. I have seen us take a full morning to prepare setting 100+ nets before getting out the ferrets. Cant chance putting in all the effort a week before for poachers to do it after all the hard work done clearing out.

Dillan

To be fair mate dont get that many poachers round my permission .

I leave for a week because I have to cut back a lot of vegetation nettles and stuff , makes a fair old noise and makes bolting hard with just a couple of ferts .

I like to make a good job of it because it saves a lot of time further on in the year :thumbs:

Billhook or slasher works for me :thumbs: keeps the brambles and nettles away from your hands.

Dillan

Ah bill hook they look just the job

30 miniutes here

Me too, I clear holes, partner follows laying purse nets down full hedge. Go for a drink a fag and a chat back at vehicle. Go back to first warren done with ferrets quietly. This way this gives chance for bunnies to calm down. Beauty about this is if any slip the nets then theres a good chance of backnetting. I have seen us take a full morning to prepare setting 100+ nets before getting out the ferrets. Cant chance putting in all the effort a week before for poachers to do it after all the hard work done clearing out.

Dillan

The chap who comes with me always says why put the work in for someone else to come along.

Billhook or slasher works for me :thumbs: keeps the brambles and nettles away from your hands.

Dillan

30 miniutes here

Dillan

The chap who comes with me always says why put the work in for someone else to come along.

Only an issue if you share permission. I hate sharing. Funny how rabbits seem or are said to be unhappy to bolt if you cut some nettles above ground, but if you unleash ww3 with the splatter guns above ground they keep bolting like gooduns :hmm: I know sound does effect, but i think there are more important factors, like if the rabbits have seen a ferret before.

Dillan

30 miniutes here

Dillan

Only an issue if you share permission. I hate sharing. Funny how rabbits seem or are said to be unhappy to bolt if you cut some nettles above ground, but if you unleash ww3 with the splatter guns above ground they keep bolting like gooduns :hmm: I know sound does effect, but i think there are more important factors, like if the rabbits have seen a ferret before.

I'm the only one on my permission , so i am probably a bit spoiled in that the only human the rabbits see are me .

I hate having to dig so that's probably why i rest the warrens after the cutting and clearing plus its just habit and the way i was always taught .

Could it be that clearing the area around a warren which is disturbing the ground in its self makes them more wary and less likely to bolt as they maybe have a natural fear of digging mammals i.e foxes badgers

Maybe shooting doesn't cause the same fear :hmm:

I dont use a shotgun when ferreting , in fact can't remember the last time the .410 came out the cabinet , might have to give it some use this season and see if it makes a difference :notworthy: