Shitty Morning.

So last night i decided i would get up early and head down the road to try my luck for an hour or two at a new piece of ground i've been asked to have a go at. It's only a couple of paddocks and a piece of woodland, but it's like Watership down.

So i got up this morning intending to take my three jills out. Opened up the court and gave them all a whistle, they came out but one was missing. Opened up the nest box and she had passed away.

Not a good start :(

But i decided to soldier on anyway with the two remaining jills. . .

Loaded them up into a new ferret box i bought (i usually make them, but fancied a bow backed one) from DD timber products and headed off in the car.

When i got there, netted up the first big set, about 30-40 holes. Went to the box to get the ferrets and when i opened the one compartment i could immediatly tell something was wrong. My wee poley jill had been scratching at the (badly) stapled down (weak) mesh covering the air holes (attached to the inside of the box?) and had managed to tear all of the metal away, and in the process sliced all her legs, pads of feet and face right open, there was blood everywhere. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Needles to say that properly f****d my mornings ferreting up (not that, that was the most important thing).

Went home, cleaned up the jill, fed her, gave her some anti biotics. She seems ok, running about, eating etc. Hopefully the other ferrets will give her a clean as well.

So yes. . . . . two ferrets down before i even started, one of them permanently. I've lost one of my best workers (out of three) and one is out of action for a bit but i'm sure she will recover. Problem is i really need three hard working ferrets, minimum, and the kits are still too young to be working flat out. It leaves me in a bit of a sticky position, as i've decided to try and buy a good working adult ferret. . . . . which i know is almost impossible.

So a shitty day.

But if anyone has or knows of a good worker for sale, any colour, age (within reason and over 1), sex etc then i am willing to travel and pay. Seeing it work would be great, but there are obviously some whos word i would just take.

HELP! :cry:

jesus, youve had a rotton morning, if you were over the water id sort you out with one!

atb finding one, im sure theres someone here with a spare or 2! ;):hmm:

Cheers Gem, i hope so. I'm heading out next two days as well, so f**k knows what i'm going to do. WIll have to just use the one jill and my mates hob. It;s tough tho as a lot of the warrens are really large.

Harsh morning, I never have mesh in my carrier boxes, always have drilled holes, I had one box with mesh on the inside years ago and the ferrets bent it back, so it was re-moddled, you should be able to find a replacement jill, there's still plenty around :thumbs:

Harsh morning, I never have mesh in my carrier boxes, always have drilled holes, I had one box with mesh on the inside years ago and the ferrets bent it back, so it was re-moddled, you should be able to find a replacement jill, there's still plenty around :thumbs:

Yer mate - same - mine are always (apart from this one) home made, and just have holes, no mesh. I have now removed the mesh, that was the first time i'd used the box and i did think about removing it befre i put them in, but as they were only going to be boxed for a short time i didnt think it would cause a probem. The jill that got cut up is looking a lot more perky now, which is good. But i'm still down a ferret, due to the dead jill, who was probably the best i had. I hope i can find a replacement, i have a few good kits here for later in the season, but finding an adult, especially a good worker, at this time of year . . . . is a bit of a nightmare :(

Thats really rubbish for you and your team. I'd be gutted.

Not that I'm planning on buying any boxes, but this DD timbers company, perhaps a strongly worded letter? So that they may at least refine their design. Has anyone else had any problems?

Are there any ferret rescues in South Wales that you could try for an adult? Even the RSPCA rehoming?

Right so here is an update! I was meant to be heading out again today, this time to a new farm where there is a fair rabbit problem. The plan was just to have a bit of a look see and figure out the best way to do it etc. As i only have one working jill right at this moment and also it's hedge rows, i arranged for a mate to come along, bringing a couple of his ferrets.

Got a text as i was getting into the motor to go and pick him up, telling me he couldnt make it as he was sick :hmm: Problem is i had arranged to meet the farmer to get shown around, so couldnt not go. I knew it was going to be tough, if not impossible with just me and one ferret, so decided to leave all the nets at home and just take the jill, a .410 and a pocket full of shells.

Turned up and looked around - lovely place, plenty of land and plenty of rabbits. Most of the warrens are a long the hedge rows, both sides, and pretty huge. I explained to the farmer i was short handed today and so would not be having a proper go at them until later in the week.

After a look about i picked a hedge row near the truck (and in view of the farm house), dropped the jill at one end and let her do her thing, working her way along the hedge. The rabbits were hard to bolt due to the warren sizes and only having one ferret, and sods law most of them bolted on the other side of the hedge, or ran along through the VERY thick cover, but i still managed to take a half dozen with some very good (if i do say so myself) shots with the .410.

So despite the lack of help and single ferret. . . . a sightly better start to the season. I'm hoping this ground should be producing some good 40+ bags when i start to do it properly