dont know if anybody has heard of any more cases of parvo buta close mate of mine has bred a litter of cocker pups, they were doing really well ready to go one day then the next day lost loads of weight,being sick and diorrea,two days later 1 pup left out of five, it lookes like that will die too totally gutted.

dont know if anybody has heard of any more cases of parvo buta close mate of mine has bred a litter of cocker pups, they were doing really well ready to go one day then the next day lost loads of weight,being sick and diorrea,two days later 1 pup left out of five, it lookes like that will die too totally gutted.

parvo is a horrible virus my advice would be to

1,contain the virus, dissinfect foot ware when leaving the premisses and no movements of dogs off or on to premisses

2,all pups on premises over three weeks old can be giveen half a jab of parvo vaccine

3,ensure all adults are vaccinated

4,complete dissinfection of kennels (including feeding bowls, beds) with a dissinfectant, hypochloride works a treat and much cheaper than any stuff the vet will try to sell you

5,burn all bedding materials

kennel hygiene is very important keep up with the dissinfection and hope for the best, atb dt

Edited by dafydd thomas

I remember when Parvo first reared it's ugly head around here; early 80's it was... I had a collie x, a saluki x and a deer x in the kennel. Only the deer cross caught it, possibly 'cause she was only a few month old. The vet tried for three days to save her, to no avail. I scrubbed the kennels out with Jeye's Fluid and burnt all the bedding,the other dogs were ok. I thought this horrible disease had all but been erradicated now ?

Cheers.

Lots of differing opinions on it, my vet who i know as a personal friend as well, has written papers on all sorts, very well respected in the vetinary world. His opinion on it is the decline in people vaccinating dogs, the disease was all but eradicated due to people vaccinating dogs. The increase in the disease now and the differing strains in his opinion is due to a lack of vaccination, an increase in the dog population. He knows i vaccinate my own dogs myself, so its not a case of using his opinion to sell his services.

alot of it round our way as well a friend took there dog to the vets notices every where about it in the last 18days 28 cases 12dogs dead and like people on here bin sayin its even effecting dogs with all up to date jabs :censored:

how is it transmitted? is it dog to dog or could my dog pick it up from being somewhere an infected has been?

It's passed on through urine, vomit and shite. If a dog that has pavo urinates and your dog comes into contact with the urine, even just sniffing it, your dog could catch it.

Parvo is cyclical, everyone does a good job vaccinating regularly, then the crazy "anti vaccination" nuts will crop up, scare the bejeezus out of a good number of people, so they stop vaccinating, give it a few years and then it is back more virulant than ever before. I have seen 2 massive outbreaks over the years, even had 2 rescues with it a few years apart, so unfortunately have some experience with Parvo. The virus will shed at different rates and strengths, and is unpredictable in nature. Its most common (and easiest) passed along manner is in shit, but as said earlier urine and saliva and even dog hair can carry the shed virus.

This should have all been prefaced by saying that I have been very lucky over the years to have NEVER had a pup or dog with a reaction to a vaccine. I call the "anti-vaccination" people crazies, but most of them have seen bad vaccination reactions so their experiences have colored their opinion, just the same way that my positive experiences have colored mine. I would estimate that with my own dogs, pups and rescues over the past 20 years I have jabbed 1500 times, all sorts of breeds (most working and sporting types) so that is a pretty good number to go by.

I have always vaccinated pups at 7, 10, 13 and 16 weeks, and again every year. I heard a statistic one time that in reality, one, possibly two jabs should do it, but there is such a high failure rate with vaccines for a number of reasons that the veterinarians recommend the 4 jabs just to make sure. I don't know if that is really true, but it is what I heard. For the $2 per jab, it is money well spent IMO.

• Like 1

why have they put the moved logo at the side of this topic :hmm: