.222 or .223 Which is best?

If you want it for foxes mate, one is as good as the other, the .223 would be more modern as you say but the old .222 is still man enough for the job. The .223 is certainly a helluva foxing rifle but if you are out lamping foxes the maximum sensible range would be 160/170yds and the old .222 is capable of this, just my opinion, hope this helps. :thumbs: By the way, my mate has a .223 and he tells me to buy the rounds are over a quid a piece, but he can reload them for about 38p a piece. cheers.

What is the difference between 222 and 223? Please dont say 001. Apparantly the 223 is a more fashionable gun. But I never was one for fashion. Costwise the 222 appears to be cheaper. Dont know about ammo though.

Ian.

I'm struggling with the term fasionable, nothing to do with fashion, its just common sense and practicality!

If you reload there is little between the two, but .223 has more power!

There is more choice/availability of new guns in .223 and more choice/availability of factory ammo in .223.

It is .222Rem and .223Rem, and Remington hardly chamber any guns in .222 anymore.

.223 is the new .222, life moves on, and unlike fashion it is unlikely that .222 will come round again in a few years as .223 edges it in most departments. .223 is also a military 5.56 equivalent of course, but lets not get involved in that monumental debate!!! :thumbs:

The .222 is a fine round and nothing wrong with it as all the .222 owners will tell you, and they are right, but then the Arc was a fine boat in its day and the Wright brothers plane was superb!!

ATB!!

Edited by Deker

Erm, how's about .204??

204 great flat fast calibre, problem with buy ammunition maybe, get load dies also. But if you prefer all is there. I go with mainstream, more availability. :thumbs:

.222 and .223 which is best? there identical (not literally) there is no best gun but there is a best shooter the gun is only as good as the operator to a certain point,

there is a lot of posts regarding .222 and .223 i myself see the .223 as the more common and newer round an improvement of the .222 personally i like to look at the resale side if i decide to sell and .223 seems more popular and a very well liked round among us foxers i can get 55 grain hollow point federal 20x for £18,50 but i find 40 grain Nosler balistic tip federal 20x for £27,00 shoot much flatter and more accurate in my gun

What is the difference between 222 and 223? Please dont say 001. Apparantly the 223 is a more fashionable gun. But I never was one for fashion. Costwise the 222 appears to be cheaper. Dont know about ammo though.

Ian.

Well, no difference at all that you'll be able to notice, (the actual bullet is exactly the same).

The .223 aces the .222 in that you can buy ammo virtually anywhere, and have a choice of quality bullets, also for rifles, all the

major players offer .223 in a variety of models and prices (not so .222).

However if you fancy a vintage, set trigger Anschutz or Similar, then a .222 is the most likely .22 centrefire calibre you'll find,

(maybe the .22 Hornet as well, but that's yet another 'can of worms'). Older rifles are not usually screwed for moderators, and often

do not really suit them.

So if you want a standard new or new'ish .22 centrefire with the obligatory T8 moderator etc etc then it's the .223 for you.

If you haven't owned a centrefire before brace yourself for ammo cost, this may/should start you off reloading, and if you go down this

route then calibre starts to mean less as apart from the brass the rest is readily available.

AndyF

.222 and .223 which is best? there identical (not literally) there is no best gun but there is a best shooter the gun is only as good as the operator to a certain point,

there is a lot of posts regarding .222 and .223 i myself see the .223 as the more common and newer round an improvement of the .222 personally i like to look at the resale side if i decide to sell and .223 seems more popular and a very well liked round among us foxers i can get 55 grain hollow point federal 20x for £18,50 but i find 40 grain Nosler balistic tip federal 20x for £27,00 shoot much flatter and more accurate in my gun

£27.00! :icon_eek: I've been had then - I paid £35 for the same stuff. Groups brilliantly... on paper :icon_redface: Don't get too het-up on the caliber issue - especially on rounds with similar ballistics - Its all relative and at the end of the day its up to you to put the pill in the spot.

In terms of the real difference........ 0.001... and a few penny's in the cost of ammo. Peformance wise it's all in the mind :big_boss:

I shoot and reload the .222 and I must say the Foxes have never complained at me shooting the .222 compared to a .223 or a .22-250, just more powder, more bang and the Foxes fall over just the same.

I can reload the .222 currently for 30p a round with 40 or 50gr ballistic tipped rounds of some description so I'm happy for them not to produce a myriad of factory rounds in all specifications as it makes no difference to me whatsoever.

The .222 was known in its hay day as an inherently accurate round and still is today, it won many benchrest competitions in the 50's and 60's until such custom rounds as the 6mmBR came along.

I'm no great shot with a rifle really, but with the .222 and my own loads I can happily shoot 1/2" group or less which is more than i'll ever need.

To really throw a spanner in the works of modernising shooting, I'm very seriously thinking of ditching my .17HMR for a .22Hornet :D

Well thank you all for your comments. I have decided to go for a 223 Tikka with Ase mod and Schmidt & Bender scope.

Ian.

You have chosen... wisely :notworthy: Looking forward to seeing you post a pic of your first fox with no face :thumbs: