Hurricane Higgins

Apart possibly from Ronnie o Sullivan,Higgins surely has to be the most naturally gifted pure snooker players the game has seen,theres plenty better tacticians of both generations,Davis then and John Higgins now....but for pure ability and talent Alex Higgins had few equals.

Apart possibly from Ronnie o Sullivan,Higgins surely has to be the most naturally gifted pure snooker players the game has seen,theres plenty better tacticians of both generations,Davis then and John Higgins now....but for pure ability and talent Alex Higgins had few equals.

with all the money in snooker it s a pity his so called proffesinal mates didnt step in sooner and help the fella out in his hour of need

For me Alex hurracane Higgins, was the best of all time, a real party man, & a man who made a boring game entertaining. It must be thanks this man made it poprular in the 80's. RIP :thumbs:

For me Alex hurracane Higgins, was the best of all time, a real party man, & a man who made a boring game entertaining. It must be thanks this man made it poprular in the 80's. RIP :thumbs:

Remember seeing him in an exhibition match at Highbury corner ,fxck me did he like to party , :thumbs:

Bumped into Higgins coming out of a boozer in belfast called the Gin Palace about 6 years back he used to play the punters for cash in the pool hall upstairs...sad really he was in a right state...a character of an era gone by...R.I.P

Met him in a pub about 5 years ago in Belfast. I was with my youngster, aged 10 at the time and we were going to the Irish Cup Final. I stopped off for a couple of pints on the way and there was a pool competition going on in the bar.

My young boy wanted to play and as he was quite decent I allowed him. He actually won and the guys were so impressed they asked Alex in to watch. He was sitting quietly in a corner reading The Racing Post and refused, saying he wasn't interested in playing pool that day.

I brought my boy through to the bar to meet him anyway. Alex was taken aback, saying he was the same age and looked like his son, Callum. He agreed to play one game against him and the bar erupted.

Everyone rushed through to the back room and my son broke off. Alex took a wild stab at a trick shot and potted the black. He wasn't as magnaminous in defeat and stormed out in a mood.

We went back through to the bar and he bought me a drink and gave my son a tenner.

One of sport's colourful characters, he certainly had his dark side. But I'll never forget him winning the 1982 final and calling for his baby.

RIP Alex

Edited by tdavepat

The death of a legend r.i.p A.H.He was at the crucible in sheffield only this year potting a few balls.

used too stay up when i was a kid just too watch him.he was a rebel but a lovable rogue who brought the game of snooker alive.remember when he won the final in 1982 i think and got his little girl out of the crowd for a hug.REST IN PEACE FELLA.