DRAWING

Guest Lurchers2006

swansea jack stop trying to stir shit........i have only been on one dig(it was before it got banned) and we dug down to the fox and the terrier was baying it........there was no way i was sticking a gun in the hole with the terrier.............so what do you do in that case with oput a drawing dog....................in my case a drawing terrier was put in and with some help we got the fox out, scrufed released and shot immediately...........how would you suggest???

to say lurcher2006 i have no clue really but i reckon let it do a few above ground with another dog then on its own so that even if it does get bitten it knows it can kill them......possibly wait till the cubs and enter on them!

dickyboy you dig to terrier and fox put the spade in tube and remove terrier from dig then you should be able to pull back spade to allow the fox to show and shoot the fox with a clean head shot or you could get you boot behinde the foxes neck to hold him down and shoot him to the head. ;)

if you not willing to handle a fox you shouldnt be digging them :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 months is still to young i my opinion to let any lurcher have fox on thier own be it on the lamp, a slip after a dig or drawing give the dog plenty of runs with another dog and build up confidence then around my 17/18 months old if the dog ants to draw then let it draw. But as boots said it makes a better end to the dig to give the dog a slip on the fox at the end of the dig. Thats my opinion anyway. And swansea jack if your not gonny offer anything usefull then dont post on the subject just cause there is a ban in england doesn't mean that anyone from other places can't post on this fourm. I think you will find people from all over the world on here and lads how have pre-ban knowlage can still offer advice.

:hmm: I'm in Wales... :blink: there's a ban here as well...

If you're out to kill foxes the surely, the cleanest most humane way is the best... or do you think toying with them at the end of a dig is acceptable or necessary ?

I have an opinion, I can say what I like.....

Guest Nightwalker
Thanks for the advice lads , as for Swansea jack everything is sorted, this is a forum and everyone has their opinions so lets respect them,

I've dug a lot of foxes in the past and never seen any need for a draw dog. Like you have been told, shoot it, or use the spade or a bit of wood to imobilise it while you get hold of it and pull it out and then shoot it or knock it on the head. Job done, legally, cleanly with no excess suffering to fox or dog.

Guest Nightwalker
No gun mate!! So do ye think hes old enough for entering to fox?

I've never used a draw dog so I couldnt say. My dogs are always self-entered, and are usually taking fox earlier than most. They come out and about with me, there's plenty of game about where I am, they see, they chase, and when they are ready they start doing it. I would forget using a dog, why get your dog chewed up for no good reason when you can do it yourself with the help of the spade or a bit of wood? I used to use a nice little .22 pistol for shooting stuff at the end of a dig, single shot is all you need, either a .22 or even a .410 pistol would do, can you get a ticket for one for that in Ireland?

Edited by Nightwalker

Not all situations allow for a gun to be used .That is why some people use drawing dogs with there terriers.If your next to housing estates etc it would bring you a lot of hassle discharging a firearm when a good drawing dog could go straight in and do the job quietly.Also not all terrier lads have guns.

Not all situations allow for a gun to be used .That is why some people use drawing dogs with there terriers.If your next to housing estates etc it would bring you a lot of hassle discharging a firearm when a good drawing dog could go straight in and do the job quietly.Also not all terrier lads have guns.

just my two penneth worth,if we havn,t got a gun we tend to lift out the terrier , place a net over the dig and stand back , once the fox is in the net , a quick tap on the top of the snout , knocks it out, then you have a good bit time to sort the job out properly, first and foremost is to do the job without any unnecessary cruelty

I'm with swansea jack on this one, if your digging a fox you want the job over and done with as humanely as possible, most of the lads I know, always just draw them by hand/net if they are to be unharmed, OR they are cleanly dispatched by a shot.

yeah but he's in ireland!! He should keep going!! a dog is better than sticking my hand down to remove a fired up terrier from a hole....

as it happens i don't dig anymore as i now shoot!! but its his sport and he's doing it legally!!

and its about giving dogs the confidence to do there job well....so yes if it legal enter them on young foxes to get there confidence up!!

You openly admitted youve only ever been on one dig. So tell me why comment on something you have virtually no experience with? Not being nasty just asking a question ;)

I could be wrong in in England, Wales and Scotland if you are digging to a fox don't you have to have a gun present to dispatch the fox?

:yes::yes::yes::yes: anything else is illegal.... flushing foxes for guns using one terrier in preservation of Game Birds. If your terrier is stuck then you can dig him out :whistle: