I need to buy a new 4x4, for various reasons it looks like i am looking at a twin cab pick up. It needs to be able to do the biz off road, both in terms of lamping and also general countryside work but i also drive from wales to scotland fairly regularly. Any suggestions on which are better and which are to be avoided?

atb

Jai.

Land rover, nissan and mitsibushi are all great but would be real diesel guzzlers on your long trips up to scotland. I have heard good reports about the Ford Ranger for fuel but not sure about its off-road capibiltys, unless you are doing anything seriously off road i would imagine it would cope quite well with a decent set of tyres(BF Goodrich Mud terrains, 50k miles on them) :thumbs:

Like the new Hilux myself but never heard anything about them.

after one myself at the moment couple of my mates have got the ranger good trucks pull horse boxes,cary the dogs and all the gear,good mpg the only fault they say is the rear leaf springs can snap, we go out in a hilux and cant fault it, only trouble at the moment is there all holding there value

i have a navara d40,,,my 7th nissan pickup....every make has problems and faults and ive had the odd one with myn but its done 90k now returns over 35mpg with a steady foot and will get anywhere i want it too go...comfy,fast and good value and in my eyes the best looking pickup out there,,if its a brand new one then maybe wait for vw new truck out in september i think as vw take some beating for reliability ect

why get a ranger when the mazda is the same machine, but its cheaper. both seem ok off road, aint no landy, but your ass will thank you for it on the big runs

the new vw looks to be a clinker, but will prob be pricey

Guest alastair

isuzu my first choice had 6 of em,never let me down once,but if pushed hilux next,dont trust nissan anymore with all the engineand recall probs,a mate got a ranger and he loves it but ive never liked fords unless were talking about a granny mk1 v6.

have tried most but am sticking with my narvara done 139000 miles still going strong go anywhere and all the gear fits in easy ford is ok but change back springs as new they are made from cheap shit and can be very boncey on the rough