training a fully grown jill

I got a fully grown jill and when i took her out to work her for the first time since i have had her, i put her next to the hole and she just looked at me like she was trying to say "what do you want me to do and where's my cage?", is there any way i am abke to train her up, i have a fully grown hob that works great, has never layed up yet and has never tried to bite, if catches one down a hole he will drag it up to the top, is this any advantage to trainging her?

find a shallow warren, maybe a 4 or 5 holer, then actually put her down a hole, rather than placing at the side, if she backs out, pick her up, move to another hole and put her in again, if she's never been used for ferreting before, then it may take a little time and patience before she gets the idea, she may become good, but she may also not,

find a shallow warren, maybe a 4 or 5 holer, then actually put her down a hole, rather than placing at the side, if she backs out, pick her up, move to another hole and put her in again, if she's never been used for ferreting before, then it may take a little time and patience before she gets the idea, she may become good, but she may also not,

Same as stubby said is she eating meat ?? maybe help to try her hungry ?

Edited by The one

I got a small albino jill with the view to breeding her and when i tried her she was the same turned out she would only eat dry grub wouldn't even eat a dead rabbit in the hutch with the rest of the gang ,I soon gave up the idea of breeding from her just keep trying her nice and easy and hope she comes good for you mate

I got a small albino jill with the view to breeding her and when i tried her she was the same turned out she would only eat dry grub wouldn't even eat a dead rabbit in the hutch with the rest of the gang ,I soon gave up the idea of breeding from her just keep trying her nice and easy and hope she comes good for you mate

Ive got a polecat jill in the same boat, wont eat raw meet and doesnt seem that interested with rabbits either. Anyone had any good experiences of them coming good in the end??

Cant wait to get back out there!

I personally would never take a jill out ferreting, that was in season, having an enlarged vulva, that close to the ground, in contact with who knows what down those warrens, is only asking for trouble.

if you put any value on your ferts, leave her at home until out of season, just use the hob for now

First things first give her some practice running through tubes etc. Then when shes not in season - take her out with the hob and let them run through a small set together. I've yet to come across a ferret that is TOTALLY un-inquisitive, i think they all will eventually take to running through warrens, although may never truly 'work' the tunnel network.

Ive got a polecat jill in the same boat, wont eat raw meet and doesnt seem that interested with rabbits either. Anyone had any good experiences of them coming good in the end??

Cant wait to get back out there!

Yes mate, i have a jill here at the moment, most of her first season was frustrating as hell :wallbash: :wallbash:

However, :unsure: , when out one day with Bud from here, she just seemed to click, since then there's been no stopping her, she's like a weathered pro, never fails me. She also preferred biscs instead of meat, like her mum, will work her little socks off and enjoys some biscs at the end of the day :blink: , give the ferret a full season with regular opportunities in relatively easy warrens, ideally those you have seen rabbits go into :yes:

I'm sure you'll have the answer after a good seasons trying ;)

All the best, LD13