in caboolture ( brisbane)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea mate I don't really know what it's like over there hunting wise, Australia is great for hunting! Brisbane is a big city, as soon as you know what you want to hunt come on ozziedoggers.org Pigs are fun, if you can get onto a few foxes i'd say there a lot different to anywere else. Spotlighting is big over here, it's a little but more of a challange to spot a pig though. Roos are illegal to dog/shoot unless you have a special license. Both myself, brother fox, Dan Edwards and I suspect a few more are off ozziedoggers forums.

All the best with the move.

Steve

• 4 months later...

im here now anyone any contacts i can get intouch with ran over a baby possom other day thats the closest iv came to hunting :gunsmilie:

seen a pointer x mastiff four :piggy: the woman that owned it when i asked said it would do a hare did not wanna insult her but :fool:

talking to her she said no one uses the bull x hound thy rither put the pit over a heavyer dog i reckon a decent bull x would hold a :piggy: all day long :showoff: and get there alot quicker

only thing i can think of is thy need there dogs to have a better nose

im here now anyone any contacts i can get intouch with ran over a baby possom other day thats the closest iv came to hunting :gunsmilie:

seen a pointer x mastiff four :piggy: the woman that owned it when i asked said it would do a hare did not wanna insult her but :fool:

talking to her she said no one uses the bull x hound thy rither put the pit over a heavyer dog i reckon a decent bull x would hold a :piggy: all day long :showoff: and get there alot quicker

Interesting comments there mate there as many xs as there are pig hunters over here. Brother fox touched on it but nsw north and the pig hunting becomes the most popular sport southerm NSW south and the foxhunting takes over, and then you can be lucky like me and live in the middle and have the best of both worlds. As far as Running dogs go not a lot up north although there are a few hardy soles like Stabs the further south you go the more popular they become. Dont let any one tell you a bull xgreyhounhd or staghound wont catch a pig they do just fine. as far as fast game goes it is advantages to have a dogs that will pick the game up quick before its miles away stags and greyhound x are used for this and probable why saluki xs are not popular out here. As far as the native stuff goes It doesnt take a big dog to take that game though it takes a strong to do it regularly and be able to take the knocks a 28 to 30 inch stag will do the job nicely not that any one would do such a thing. If your interested when you get over here and are settled Pm me and I will put you in contact with a friend of mine who lives just north of Brisbane.

As was menitioned earlier toowoomba is a great area and some good hunting to be had up that way.

All the best with move

the pig dog they all love is the "bull arab" which is a bullyXgreyXsome sort of hound. they have been tinkering with them for ages, but im pretty sure thats how they started. go pig hunting if you can. nothing like wrestling something that weighs 100kg.

Edited by roodog

think the arab in bull arab does go back to the saluki.not 110% but think i read it somewhere.i lived on the sunny coast not long ago.what a place. :thumbs:

no saluki. the way it was explained to me was, that one of the blokes who had them first. wanted a flash name to go after the "bull". im not sure but i think money was a big infulence. he had a doberman in the yard called "arab"....so the arab bit comes from an unrelated doberman just to sell a few more pups.

incidentely his line that he is selling now has the catchy handle of "bull enduro's"