If it wants to it will

That saying is a load of BOLLOCKS if its too big then its too BIG SIMPLE :thumbs:

LOL.

How many have you seen that couldnt get there? {too big}?

I will put it this way NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I TRY AND PUT MY BIG SKIN FLUTE UP MY WIFES FIRE EXIT :icon_eek: IT JUST SIMPLY DOESN'T GO IN NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY' WHY IS THAT '' BECAUSE ITS TO BIG :icon_eek:

AND WHEN YOUV'E GOT THE HORN THERES ONLY ONE THING YOU WANT TO DO :thumbs:

Try some ky jelly :thumbs:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if it cant get it cant get simple as ...

i take it don you are a hunt terrierman and alot of your digging is in chailk an flint, which is why you require a selection of sized dogs?? so even your 11inch dogs sometimes are too big to get ther

If it's too big...it's too big. End of.   There are some situations where a dog will push through (light soils), but on the other hand the fox will be digging on itself in those situations and it ne

i think its down to what kind of earth being worked,in some situations big strong terriers are just too big and can be very limited to where they can be worked..on the other hand i sometimes feel my terriers which are small and narrow are abit on the light side in some situations. i think its down to different tools for different jobs..good topic donny c.. i would be interested to hear your opinion on this. thanks steven :thumbs:

That saying is a load of BOLLOCKS if its too big then its too BIG SIMPLE :thumbs:

LOL.

How many have you seen that couldnt get there? {too big}?

I will put it this way NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I TRY AND PUT MY BIG SKIN FLUTE UP MY WIFES FIRE EXIT :icon_eek: IT JUST SIMPLY DOESN'T GO IN NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY' WHY IS THAT '' BECAUSE ITS TO BIG :icon_eek:

AND WHEN YOUV'E GOT THE HORN THERES ONLY ONE THING YOU WANT TO DO :thumbs:

Full of shit maybe

i think its down to what kind of earth being worked,in some situations big strong terriers are just too big and can be very limited to where they can be worked..on the other hand i sometimes feel my terriers which are small and narrow are abit on the light side in some situations. i think its down to different tools for different jobs..good topic donny c.. i would be interested to hear your opinion on this. thanks steven :thumbs:

My opinion is its a load of shite ..I hear it all the while only from people who only keep lumps..I keep a varied kennell from 11inch to 14 inch..My little ones struggle in places .We dug stuff last season you would hardly get your fist in ..Stick them in tight rock places or chalk watch them dig on in that ..As said sick of hearing it..Different tools for different jobs ..JMHO. :thumbs:

i take it don you are a hunt terrierman and alot of your digging is in chailk an flint, which is why you require a selection of sized dogs?? so even your 11inch dogs sometimes are too big to get there early on in the season? what if you were not so lucky to be in the job you are,just like so many who are not intrested in digging cubs in aug,sept and oct but dig adult animals in the winter in proper earths, where 11 inch dogs are just pushed out the way. This is why up and down the country lads keep kennels of the so called "LUMPS" to do they're work. Also these LUMPS often are used to produce your smaller dogs

• Like 1

If it's too big...it's too big. End of.

There are some situations where a dog will push through (light soils), but on the other hand the fox will be digging on itself in those situations and it needs a special dog to follow it tirelessly.

I had one last year in an old rabbit burrow with sandy soil. The fox was digging on faster than my bitch (who is very small BTW). We only managed to get it by sinking a second hole in front of the fox (with a bit of guestimation).

Some of the dogs bred these days are far too big, not in height (as a leggy dog will fit places you wouldnt believe), but in girth.

Up this end, a big dog is alright for parading the streets and shows (lol) but when it comes to actual graft, it is almost useless.

It aint the size of the dog, its the size of its heart. Thats what alot of the happy go luckys forget when they go breeding there staff x patts and their pigs on leashes.

Just my opinion.

FTB

• Like 1

i take it don you are a hunt terrierman and alot of your digging is in chailk an flint, which is why you require a selection of sized dogs?? so even your 11inch dogs sometimes are too big to get there early on in the season? what if you were not so lucky to be in the job you are,just like so many who are not intrested in digging cubs in aug,sept and oct but dig adult animals in the winter in proper earths, where 11 inch dogs are just pushed out the way. This is why up and down the country lads keep kennels of the so called "LUMPS" to do they're work. Also these LUMPS often are used to produce your smaller dogs

No not at all..We find them in tiny earths at all times of the season ..I dig from sept onwards and not all are cubs.11inch dogs pushed out the way?? depends on the breeding but thats another thread.I keep a few lumps myself so I do not dismiss them, as said different tools for different jobs..If these lumps are often used to produce smaller dogs then something wrong there .Proper litters should be even in size YES??But getting away from the thread isnt it .The thread is about that statement (if they want it they will ..So going by your lengthy reply you imply they will??Oh edited to add did you just join to reply to this specific thread???

Theres also the rockpile scenario to consider whereby you maybe need a dog that can get tight but also be leggy enough to be able move about in the pile but unless theres another way to it a dog that is too big to get through a certain size gap, he won't be able to get to his quarry.:victory: Cheers, D.

no, i didnt join just to reply to this thread, just thought it was a good thread to reply to, after your last post i totally agree with you don, no one can expect a over average size dog to get to where a smaller dog can. my point was these bigger dogs are a tool for a job and shouldnt slated for their size.

no, i didnt join just to reply to this thread, just thought it was a good thread to reply to, after your last post i totally agree with you don, no one can expect a over average size dog to get to where a smaller dog can. my point was these bigger dogs are a tool for a job and shouldnt slated for their size.

Im not slating them as I keep a few ..Just when people say if its in them they will get there ..Inexperience methinks :thumbs:

I think a lot of this big dog thing started when small game dogs became hard to find,size has little to do with it if you have the right dog,the best allround terrier ive ever seen was very small and shyed from nothing,more emphasis seems to be put on gameness these days,no matter how much damage these bull x terrier types take.

A bigger stronger dog can be very useful we kept the odd one ourselves,but for no messing about one hole fox digging the little ones win hands down if you have good ones imo.