allotment this year shocking

1st year in the new house so with a new plot , everything i grew was pretty pathetic .

spinach looked half grown and then went to seed

radish wasnt bad but went to seed very quickly and some of them were spongy

peas are half grown and pretty tuff

rhubarb isnt doing much

only thing growing now is carrots parsnips and shallots and the gooseberrys done well oh and obviously the horshradish went nuts because its a weed lol

i think a good dose of horse manure at the end of the summer and a re-think is in order

Edited by chimp

1st year in the new house so with a new plot , everything i grew was pretty pathetic .

spinach looked half grown and then went to seed

radish wasnt bad but went to seed very quickly and some of them were spongy

peas are half grown and pretty tuff

rhubarb isnt doing much

only thing growing now is carrots parsnips and shallots and the gooseberrys done well oh and obviously the horshradish went nuts because its a weed lol

i think a good dose of horse manure at the end of the summer and a re-think is in order

That's the trouble with all this growing you've got to be thinking ahead and preparing all the time,i can't wait to give it another go after my lawns established,got a side corner plot earmarked now just need to box it in and fill with good soil.....not sure what to grow yet,maybe some Herbs to start and beans,

Higgins.

Youve hit the nail on the head chimp :notworthy: its new ground mate id be doubling the amount of manure on it for the first year then do a third of it each year sounds like little feed and nothing to hold moisture my lotty was the same when i took it on one year on it produced real well mate thats the beauty of gardening get your soil right and everythings much easier atb. :thumbs:

persevere;- i lost most of my crops when my shetland pony broke in and pulled up alot of the young carrots, ate the spinach/cabbage/brussel sprouts + trampled the rhubarb, still have a few bits + i ate some of my new spuds + carrots today in a venison stew my OH made,

i planted my potatoes in 5yr old well rotted horse manure in large tubs! and im pleased with the results!

nice try chimp :laugh:

been talking to the wife going to transplant the rhubarb and fruit bushes/strawberries back home .

the small patch of ground at front of house has been already dug over so will try transplanting the sweetcorn and swede plants that are growing down there,

and going to have raised beds along the patio & drive in back garden its a good length you can get a van and car on the drive, :thumbs:

spent all morning carting manure down to my allotment

all last week buiding chicken pen put hens in it last night and this afternoon im told the allotment sites shutting down as hes had a £300 water bill and 6 plot owners jack it in .

the joys of renting off a farmer. :censored:

What a :censored: I thought people were queuing for allotment spaces???

thats what he said but whos going to start one when its 5 ft high thistles ,

he only advertised it in local rag with a tiny advert. :wallbash:

nice try chimp :laugh:

been talking to the wife going to transplant the rhubarb and fruit bushes/strawberries back home .

the small patch of ground at front of house has been already dug over so will try transplanting the sweetcorn and swede plants that are growing down there,

and going to have raised beds along the patio & drive in back garden its a good length you can get a van and car on the drive, :thumbs:

That's a real shame. I hope you will be able to salvage your fruit & veg after the work you put in. Good luck.