THE MEN FROM THE U.S OF A

Guest DogFaceKillah

Any good coyote dog that is gonna remain good has a slight "avoid the sharp end" factor. I aint talkin bout cowards or nothin but if a coyote dog dont learn to kill without gettin hammered he wont be a coyote dog for long. He'll just be a bay dog or one that gets to go out about every 3 weeks. These coyotes dont half bite when they take a hold. They kill for a living and they have jaws as powerful as these big dogs that we are running them with and canines to spare.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From horse back the true way of hunting a Stag.[Old Pic} Young pup All grown up Old pic Not as tough as he started RIP Off Game lol General Custer just before he got stretched Hun

we don't hit the coyotes like Dan, Doc, Caps etc do, coon are our specialty although they'll run anything       the new and the experienced     Bull/Stag Loca learning the ropes from her

more

Posted Images

dirtwinger, I did 6 coyotes in two days with my dogs last winter and I'll tell you this, I werent even gonna think about doin the 7th cuz I would have been emberassed.

If they all were young healthy dogs and my male dog wasnt so crippled up, 8 or 10 in two days would not be out of the question but sometimes you gotta use your head a little even though its extremely hard for me on account of me being dropped on it too many times by momma. :wallbash:

I think the lads that go out foxing in this country often think of a coyote just as a big fox, but from what i understand they are more like a small wolf! I should think its hard for the British dog men to really understand coyote hunting as its not comparible to foxing in how the dog actually courses and more importantly kills the animal.

Or am i completely wrong?

I mean this in that a british foxing lurcher would really be expected to show no fear and get the job done regardless of circumstance and teeth. Again regardless of the size of the dog being used too. However from what i have gathered a coyote dog is expected to use a bit of brain and skill and avoid the sharp end if possible untill the right time to take the throat hold.

Just some differences i have picked up.

Again this isnt about size of hound or quarry, its about how the coyote and fox differ in the course and the kill. As pound for pound theres not much difference between a 90lb stag on a 40lb coyote and a 40lb beddygrey on a 16lb dog fox.

Edited by Born Hunter

I think the lads that go out foxing in this country often think of a coyote just as a big fox, but from what i understand they are more like a small wolf! I should think its hard for the British dog men to really understand coyote hunting as its not comparible to foxing in how the dog actually courses and more importantly kills the animal.

Or am i completely wrong?

I mean this in that a british foxing lurcher would really be expected to show no fear and get the job done regardless of circumstance and teeth. Again regardless of the size of the dog being used too. However from what i have gathered a coyote dog is expected to use a bit of brain and skill and avoid the sharp end if possible untill the right time to take the throat hold.

Just some differences i have picked up.

Again this isnt about size of hound or quarry, its about how the coyote and fox differ in the course and the kill. As pound for pound theres not much difference between a 90lb stag on a 40lb coyote and a 40lb beddygrey on a 16lb dog fox.

Born Hunter-Thats is exactly right, the coyote is a small wolf, not a big fox. A fox here is considered puppys game, and isnt given any more respect by a stag at the catch than a jackrabbit (hare) The jack and fox are worthy game because of the way they run, but once caught its no test, IMO.

All stags are not big dogs. Most my dogs have been 55-75lbs. The average weight on my 5 stags right now is 72lbs.

Take care.

Edited by UphillDoc

dan

you're frigging making me homesick. i haven't heard of any monkeys & footballs in 4 or 5 months. the 2X4 thing turned me on a bit too.

for you gents that liked the Custer pics, he had a pair of scotch staghounds(1 dog & 1 gyp) given him by Queen Victoria that he took out west with him. the dog ran off from the fort one day out the gateand out of sight but followed quickly by a young cavalry trooper. when he caught up to him the dog had killed a wolf single handed (not the big canadian monsters but a plains wolf of 50-70#). the same dog caught & tripped an adolescent bison bull and the gyp piled on after the trip. Custer killed the bull by hamstringing it & putting the muzzle of his revolver to it's head and shooting because the dogs had it pinned to the ground. if these accounts are true (& the wolf kill actually had multiole witnesses to the carcass so it might be) those were some damn good dogs.

i'm almost embarassed to put up my Sonic dog since he's not a coyote killer. in fact he's not even a good lurcher (my fault 1st longdog & 3 trips to Iraq). but he's become such a good yard dog that the wife has decided i'm only allowed to get sighthounds from now on. anyway here he is on a big feral hog (lot of hampshire blood in this one i think) w/ a friends dogo & a hound.

BrigusandBoar.jpg

I keep telling you to bring Sonic out to Texas. Josh is running on all his properties pretty hard right now. And my other buddy Joe has a couple of hundred thousand acres of farm land that he has hog removal contracts on. Both those guys are always happy to have an extra hand. Plenty of game other than boar to run on all that property. Coons are doing a number on the corn. Time for some eradication.

Sean

dirtwinger, I did 6 coyotes in two days with my dogs last winter and I'll tell you this, I werent even gonna think about doin the 7th cuz I would have been emberassed.

If they all were young healthy dogs and my male dog wasnt so crippled up, 8 or 10 in two days would not be out of the question but sometimes you gotta use your head a little even though its extremely hard for me on account of me being dropped on it too many times by momma. :wallbash:

The last one we took that day the dogs were really knackered and just didnt have the energy to kill it, in the end I ran it down myself tripped it and stuck the knife in.

Had a similar thing happen on one run, we saw a lame coyote in the distance hopping on three legs it saw us and started heading away. The ground we were on was split by dozens of dirtroads with bar ditches and we had to keep crawling through them with the truck, as a consequence we couldnt outdrive a 3 legged coyote, stupid I know but there you go it was always about 800yds or more away.

We let the dogs out and figured they would see and they just didnt see it so we chased across the desert in the truck for 2 1/2 miles with the dogs running next to us before my deer/grey spotted it and they all took off then. By that point they were exhausted we had got two already that morning. When we caught up the yote was sitting in a sagebush with the dogs lying down around it too tired to kill it. once again i used the knife, probably the hardest and dumbest coyote chase I have ever been on. lol

However from what i have gathered a coyote dog is expected to use a bit of brain and skill and avoid the sharp end if possible untill the right time to take the throat hold.

Your whole post was great first of all. Secondly I just wanna commend you for understanding. I do want to let you know that there are dogs out there so fast and so explosive and powerful though that the human eye cannot hardly tell that they were avoiding the sharp end but after dozens of kills and a dog never gettin a hair harmed on his or her perty little head one has to come to the conclusion that they dont like the sharp end at all.

The last one we took that day the dogs were really knackered and just didnt have the energy to kill it, in the end I ran it down myself tripped it and stuck the knife in.

Had a similar thing happen on one run, we saw a lame coyote in the distance hopping on three legs it saw us and started heading away. The ground we were on was split by dozens of dirtroads with bar ditches and we had to keep crawling through them with the truck, as a consequence we couldnt outdrive a 3 legged coyote, stupid I know but there you go it was always about 800yds or more away.

We let the dogs out and figured they would see and they just didnt see it so we chased across the desert in the truck for 2 1/2 miles with the dogs running next to us before my deer/grey spotted it and they all took off then. By that point they were exhausted we had got two already that morning. When we caught up the yote was sitting in a sagebush with the dogs lying down around it too tired to kill it. once again i used the knife, probably the hardest and dumbest coyote chase I have ever been on. lol

Such an honest reply deserves a little :clapper:

We are all flesh and bone along with our dogs and while there is the odd dog out there that is truely unbelievable in his performance, he is still just a dog. I have seen 1000s of dogs in my life performing all different sorts of tasks. I watched the greatest field trial greyhound dog run in this country for two years straight cuz my Godfather actually owned him. He was truely a phenom and nothin came close to him. I seen countless numbers of coon hounds run but only seen a few ever that made me say, "WOW!". I probably owned 50 or more cur dogs and only seen one that ever deserved to eat my feed. Seen bird dog after bird dog go throughout the years and was super impressed by them all until the day I seen a National Champion trial dog go in the field huntin. I all of sudden knew that all I had ever seen in my life were shit eaters before that but not being a bird dog man, how the f**k was I to know. The great ones whether dogs or humans, horse or mules, pigeons or chickens are only born once in a blue moon and even they are not perfect and made out of flesh and bone like all of use. Great post dirtwinger. :thumbs:

say you had two dogs on a coyote , how long would it take for them to kill a good un?

Two really good dogs only about 5 to 10 minutes at the most. Two "just dogs" never. :thumbs:

It all depends on the dog. My yella dog can kill a coyote single handed in less than 10 minutes almost always. Its not a fight though at all, its just a matter of blood flow and oxygen depletion. Any dog that "fights" a coyote to death will quit. Maybe not now, maybe not later but soon enough to make you realize just how shitty he or she is. :thumbs:

Two really hard core dogs like John and Stitch on a coyote, it would be dead within five minutes I'd say if they were young, healthy and fit but they are kill dogs. They are big, fast enough, and powerful. I dont know of anybody that has two dogs like them though that are young, healthy, and fit. Heard of a bunch of them but history tells me that it just aint so.

nice one dan :) im surprised you dont use more 1st cross bull'grey so i presume that is a speed thing

Ya, speed is a huge issue but chimp trust what I'm tellin you here. 90% of them aint gonna kill like what I'm talkin about. I'm not sayin they are shit at all cuz I know they are good at what they do but trust me, these coyote dogs(the good ones anyhow)are f****n murderers man. They aint playin around at all. I'd say alot of bullcross would spend more time locked jaw to jaw with a coyote than it would take a good coyote dog to trip throat and kill. Speed and power play a very important role in killin a coyote. These are not slow critters, they will run and fight a dog off like nothin you have ever seen before. Anything without tremendous amounts of speed will never ever lay a fang on em let alone stop it and kill it. I dont even think that "gameness" is an issue cuz dogs just aint game especially anything that aint pure bulldog. Like I said, some folks think a dog is game but they dont know cuz deep down inside they dont wanna know.

Guest DogFaceKillah

makes alot of sense that post dan, i think a bull x would get a season of work on them then have to be pts, as some bull x choose to fight there prey rather than deal with it

makes alot of sense that post dan, i think a bull x would get a season of work on them then have to be pts, as some bull x choose to fight there prey rather than deal with it

think i would prefer a dog that would catch and hold on anywhere especialy if it was mob handed