Few trapping pics from the State Maine

Let me clear something up. The coyote with only 3 legs was not caught in a trap. The bottom of the stump has mud on it not blood. The injury was old and all healed and fured over.

DO YOU USE THE DRAG MUCH ?

About half the traps are on drags, I’d rather stake them, but because of thieves and trigger happy bird hunters we drag what we can’t check before 9am.

Millet said!---Why dont you set proper fecking trap's so they will hold the animal fast instead of chasing the poor fucke.r all around the county with a leg breaking trap strapped to it's limb..

In the last several years of trapping I haven’t had a broken leg on a coyote, fox, or cat. And I’m talking a few hundred animals. Had two dislocated shoulders, one from the coyote jumping off a bridge.

My traps are the modern type with laminated jaws that have a gap so when the jaws are closed the trap don’t cut to the bones in the foot like the old style traps do. Also I have a few rubber jawed traps, and I can tell you the laminated cause less damage than the rubber jaws do.

Millet! The first part of my trap checking has all the traps staked with cable stakes, Similar to what Snareman invented. The reason for the drags is so the coyote, fox, or other animals can get out of site from those who would steal, or blow the animal away at point blank range with a 12 ga, shotgun. Some of these animals would have been released, like fisher, bobcat and sometimes the fox.

And from Chay---rips your f****n throat out you twat. everyone canhunt or trap the way they choose but thats a f****n disgrace and that goes to any f****r on here that would treat an animal in that way

Our traps are checked each day, That’s the law. The coyote is caught by the foot and 99 percent of these could be released with nothing more than a sore foot. I have never seen a broken bone with any of the modern traps I use. And at times I skin out the whole foot if it’s for a rug type mount.

If you anti types would just take time to learn the truth, but no, you’d rather judge, hate and condemn.

From Moley--the trappers are releasing trapped animals that are non the worse for thier experience , hundreds of otters have bin relocated in america by using footholds into areas that didnt have any at all the released otters are breeding well, now the us government wouldn,t allow animals to be trapped this way if they could not be released unharmed

What Moley said is true, Animals are foot trapped all the time for relocation and study. The wolves, lynx, coyote, and cat’s are trapped then fit with a tracking device. All done mostly with foot hold traps. If damage was severe this practice would not be used.

how do you release a bobcat without having your eyes scratched out ,just wondering

Cats wind pipe is real close to the outside of the neck.—“So I’m toldâ€-- You just put enough choking pressure with the cable catch pole until the cat starts to pass out. Then you’ve got about 10 seconds to get the trap off it’s foot. Cat’s are easy. Bear are a little tricky. Only done it once, we got lucky, hope it don’t happen again.

Edited by Hornhunter

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pics mate,just one question how do you release a bobcat without having your eyes scratched out :icon_eek:,just wondering

Hey Bigeddie, The best way to release a Bobcat Is a piece of plywood with a notch cut In It for the Trap & Foot to fit In and use the plywood as a shield, and your all set. Take Care !

:signthankspin: keep the pics coming very interesting to see trapping in different countrys :thumbs-up:

10 SECONDS,fecking hell it takes me longer then that to tie my shoe lace.And as for the bears well....thing i will stick to the rats and rabbits.I think i should be saying take care to you guys.Bigeddie

Edited by bigeddie

Very articulate reply Hornhunter. It would have been very easy to have replied in the same vein as your condemers. The trouble is, it seems to me, is that everyone has an opinion about just about everything. Opinions are the worlds cheapest commodity, everyone gives them away, willingly, but the only opinion worth listening to, in my eyes anyway, is the CONSIDERED OPINION. I know absolute jack about these traps, therefore all i have is the bog standard reaction opinion....UNINFORMED. You have the experience to give the considered opinion.. the one worth listening to. No harm to those that don,t like them... just don,t use them is the best way for you. For years we slag the antis for not understanding what we,re about, and then voila, we turn on people in the same game as we are, different discipline, but essentially the same game. Just my thoughts on it. Regards Mapreader.

Good post Mitch. Down here in NZ we often have baits dropped from the air for possums, and I suspect that the powers that be are trying to get feral pigs and deer as well. They use 1080 poison, and I am not at all happy about it. I much prefer the idea of trapping, or maybe even bait stations if necessary....but wholesale drops of poison from the air seems to be a fairly unenlightened thing to do.

When I was a teenager, old-fashioned gin traps with toothed steel jaws were commonly used to catch possums. It was quite common for young folk living in the country to set these possum traps. Nowadays the use of these toothed-jawed traps is banned in some areas, and generally frowned upon by a lot of people. The smooth-jawed Victors etc are used instead (plus they are smaller and lighter to carry).

Anyway.... one morning a buddy up the valley where I live phoned to tell me that my cat was caught in one of his toothed gin traps. He was upset, and for some reason didn't attempt to let the cat go himself.... he phoned me to deal with it. It must have taken a lot of courage to call me. I went up the valley and opened the trap. The cat simply walked away and I don't recall even seeing it limp.

She was a great cat....she used to follow me out rabbit hunting on the hills around home.

I've hunted for many years. Of course I can't prove it, but from my observations I think animals are a lot less bothered by injury and pain than we might imagine. That is no excuse to wantonly injure them of course, but I find it a comforting thought.

what a great a read !

i think everyone who replied had a point to make and i for one will happily take any information on any type of hunting and absorbe it like a big sponge ! :yes:

I think millet like many of us on here simply saw those traps and automatically thought ...unnessary suffering!!! :angry:

but given the facts we know know this is not the case !

a big thank you to hornhumter for the education ! :clapper:

if only everyone would take on the facts before spouting the preverbial about something they knownothing about !

i would hope Millet and every one else on here (me included) will learn a lesson from this thread ! ;)

Happy hunting !

Ricky

what a great a read !

i think everyone who replied had a point to make and i for one will happily take any information on any type of hunting and absorbe it like a big sponge ! :yes:

I think millet like many of us on here simply saw those traps and automatically thought ...unnessary suffering!!! :angry:

but given the facts we know know this is not the case !

a big thank you to hornhumter for the education ! :clapper:

if only everyone would take on the facts before spouting the preverbial about something they knownothing about !

i would hope Millet and every one else on here (me included) will learn a lesson from this thread ! ;)

Happy hunting !

Ricky

spot on ricky a big lesson to be learnt think back to the hunting debate fought by anti,s that didnt understand fox hunting and what was their main argument " it's cruel'

Guest james b

millet , i don,t agree with shooting phesants out of season , yet you put a picture up a while ago of some partridge and a phesant shot out of season , very clever , it paints a very bad picture to anyone reading this forum that there are still shooting lads about that ignore the seasons ,especially with all the bad press air rifle have had recently,... kettle , pot , grimey arse !!

:11: .. I shot game birds ONE WEEK ONLY before the season started, Pointing out my mistakes which have got nothing at all to do with this thread is a bit stupid and how on earth does that have anyhting to do with this thread and how was it cruel??

The animals were hardly put out of their misery very quickly, they were stood there while he got his camera out of his bag and took a picture before killing them.

Any thing i shoot is killed instantly with a head shot..so how can you compare the two .. :blink: ..

Millet

ANYTHING you kill you say is head shot thats the worst f*****g target to go for

it is so small maybe you are plinking bunnies but if you claim to shot a deer with

a head shot i think you need f*****g shot.

As for trapping every man to his own :drink:

WELL NICKY

NICE TO SEE A FELLA WHO CAN ADMIT HE WAS WRONG AND OPENED HIS MOUTH BEFORE KNOWING THE TRUE FACTS :victory:

SHAME THE OTHERS CANNOT BE A " MAN " ABOUT IT ,

HORNHUNTER ,

MATE IAM ENJOYING YOUR INPUT ............. DONT LET A FEW FOOLS STOP YOU POSTING ,

ALL THE BEST ........ TO ALL THE REAL DEALS

DUCKWING ;)

Terrible stuff the 1080, Its basically a peice of meat laced with poisen. After a few weeks the poisen can wear off and degrade, when the target or NON TARGET animal eats it its not powerfull enough to kill them so they are suffering for weeks.

:cry: Saw a lot of signs in Western Australia, would hate for a dog to come across it. Mitch are the baits supposed to be for foxes? What other species do they have an impact on?

WELL NICKY

NICE TO SEE A FELLA WHO CAN ADMIT HE WAS WRONG AND OPENED HIS MOUTH BEFORE KNOWING THE TRUE FACTS :victory:

SHAME THE OTHERS CANNOT BE A " MAN " ABOUT IT ,

HORNHUNTER ,

MATE IAM ENJOYING YOUR INPUT ............. DONT LET A FEW FOOLS STOP YOU POSTING ,

ALL THE BEST ........ TO ALL THE REAL DEALS

DUCKWING ;)

If you mean me duckwing i didnt open my mouth !

;)

i had no idea you use a more modern and upto date humane method's.. Cheers .. ..

Millet

Thanks for the comeback Millet, shows you are interested in learning. And thanks to all the support from the other members on here!

Can’t deny that things “Accidents†can still happen with traps, but ther's a lot more cruelty from animals getting hit by cars and crawling off into the woods with broken legs and backs than there are by traps.=

I’ll take a few pictures of the traps in a day or to show the difference in the old verses the newer type.

Thanks again!

Edited by Hornhunter