:sick: :sick:

Anyone bother with puffballs great fried in breadcrumbs with a bit of bacon.

Went and checked my little spot this morning after all the rain we had got these beautys and also just missed a rare flush of blewies sadly flys beat me to them atb. :thumbs:

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

be wary of those blewies mate , there about five months early :sick: :sick: :sick:

Been picking shrooms for over forty years mate i know a bluey when i see one :thumbs: its not unusual for rings to flush after heavy rain midsummer had blues at this time of the year before but the flys got to them this time which is par for the course in summer ive put them on the compost heap now letting there spores out :toast: Tiff you can eat most puffballs here in the uk only one you cant is the earth ball and they are black inside they are a very sweet mushroom but must be picked while they are still white inside i look for the farmers muck heaps and check them they always hold shrooms :thumbs:

Shouldnt knock something till you try it atb.

Hi Blacktabs what part of the country do you come from? I to have been picking srooms for over40yrs but never found any blewies this early ! but then again iv'e never looked for them .

Great to see and a good heads up ,it just shows you can teach an old dog new tricks , cheers mate ..:thumbs:

Cheers Derbyduck :notworthy: im in derbyshire mate gods little acre for sure :thumbs: especially so when it comes to the old fungi.

Have you tried growing them at home every place ive lived ive managed to get a ring or two growing never thought about wetting them down to get them going till just now though. :doh:

Mustard mate had my first libby in 75 before they became popular made a good living from them for a few years if you know where to look and what to gather there are better shrooms than libbys but harder to identify . :icon_eek:

Shrooms can be good money makers those top chefs pay top dollar for our wild delicacys boletus last year was fetching 35 quid a kilo can pick a few kilo a day local so not only good for the belly but the back pocket too lol .atb.

Had a quick look this morning on a patch that sometimes has blewis growing on it but no look it was a bit dry .

Blacktabs I remember back in the day me and mate going out and picking 3 carier bags full of magics! lol no wonder iv,e got a bad back i must have bent down a thousand times that day ! my mates enjoyed them and i got a few beer tokens aswell :drink::thumbs:

Black tabs if you fancy a mouch later on in the year drop me a pm :thumbs:

Derbyduck if i showed you my blewie beds you would have to be blindfolded on the way there lol 50 pound is a bad morning but as i go alone most of the time i will drop you a pm mate :yes: good crack when the seasons in proper :thumbs:

know what you mean about the bags of libbys mate never seen fields like there are in the derwent valley only once in wales where they held the psillocybin fair. :icon_eek:

Trappa good on you mate :thumbs: have you tried the smaller puffballs there out now i believe if not now maybe next rainfall we have a beach wood here thats full of them and amethysts decievers both easy to identify and tasty.

I was the same as you trappa still am about eating fungi im unsure of seen one kid die years back that i knew well he knew his shrooms but a couple can mimic other species the two most deadliest can do,

So if ive any doubts about them i leave well alone mushroom poisoning is no joke once youve eaten them theres no going back so please everyone reading this thread Take care when picking atb.

• 2 weeks later...

years gone a slice would be cut from the centre of a giant puffball and hung on a nail with a small weight hanging from the bottom to help give it a bit more length ,when fully dried out it was hung and used as a strop to help keep your cut throat razor sharp ...... cut a full slice out of your puffer and quarter it then dip the wedge shape quarters in thin batter made with lager beer,quite nice.......had field blewies at easter one year whilst picking a few saint george`s for the stew pot , i kept a few blewits meself and took the rest to a veg shop who bought stuff off me but someone beat me to it so i didn`t quite get top dollar for them . keep a wide eye open , Ray .

post-42920-094146900 1277939757_thumb.jpg

Derbyduck if i showed you my blewie beds you would have to be blindfolded on the way there lol 50 pound is a bad morning but as i go alone most of the time i will drop you a pm mate :yes: good crack when the seasons in proper :thumbs:

know what you mean about the bags of libbys mate never seen fields like there are in the derwent valley only once in wales where they held the psillocybin fair. :icon_eek:

Trappa good on you mate :thumbs: have you tried the smaller puffballs there out now i believe if not now maybe next rainfall we have a beach wood here thats full of them and amethysts decievers both easy to identify and tasty.

I was the same as you trappa still am about eating fungi im unsure of seen one kid die years back that i knew well he knew his shrooms but a couple can mimic other species the two most deadliest can do,

So if ive any doubts about them i leave well alone mushroom poisoning is no joke once youve eaten them theres no going back so please everyone reading this thread Take care when picking atb.

and that is exactly why i dont pick mushrooms , my father in law sometimes come back with bog standard field mushrooms but i have to watch everyone else try them first before i do lol

• 1 month later...

I know it's an old thread... :D

interesting thanks for the info, had not heard anything about them before nor seen them.

I don't know if you guys have it there, but there is a black fungus that grows on the silk of sweetcorn (maize). Now I've seen it growing and it looks absolutely hideous, but it is supposed to be a delicacy in south American dishes, and is rated really highly in fine cuisine. Makes me wonder though how COULD it taste good? :sick: But I'd try it if it was prepared properly!

Does it look anything like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot

Wouldn't fancy a dose of 'St Anthony's fire' myself! :no: :no: :laugh: