• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bow hunting is illegal in the uk mate, so are most ways for you really if your on your own. 17 for an air rifle, forget a powder rifle for a bit try applying for a shotgun and joining a club this will

Learn to walk, before you run, read a few topics on THL, find out where your heart lays, and start from there

It's such a shame people feel they can't meet new people and show them how to do the most basic and fundamental act that any living animal does. Hunting is a god given right. And should be embraced, learnt and taught to one and all. I totally understand why people feel that new comers should be ignored and pushed to the sidelines. But some people don't have the luxury of being born into hunting families. And as responsible people they try to find people local willing to let them come along, watch, learn and then hopefully take part. Rather this than them just go off and do it without the skill or knowledge that they need to keep this sport on the correct side of the law. Sure educating people is the only way to stop them making mistakes which will one day get this sport outlawed. I don't mean to rant. But I'm so interested in hunting and everything that comes with it. All I want to do is learn. There is no substitute for hands on experience. Just to clarify. I'm not an anti. I'm a 31 year old man who works as a welder in saddleworth.

it is a shame pal... yea , but thats how anti's work! Why bring astranger into your hunting life, when your dogs could go, animals could get poisoned... House damaged as your car could etc...

Not a lot we can do about it mate but we are all to knowledgable on here that antis are using material from the site...the next man maybe a descent hunter, thats your choice... seen it for real mate/.

• 3 weeks later...

i know that some lads are cautious of antis,but me personally i couldnt give a flying f**k about them,and another thing (maybe its just me)but how do they actually operate.lets say i met someone from here who wanted a day out hunting.im guessing there animal fanatics so it wouldnt be long till you found out they were a bit suspicious.also i would welcome being conned by an anti id batter him within an inch of his life :yes:

i know that some lads are cautious of antis,but me personally i couldnt give a flying f**k about them,and another thing (maybe its just me)but how do they actually operate.lets say i met someone from here who wanted a day out hunting.im guessing there animal fanatics so it wouldnt be long till you found out they were a bit suspicious.also i would welcome being conned by an anti id batter him within an inch of his life :yes:

:yes::clapper:

oooh... well that sucks... always been into hunting with a bow... been looking around the web for some air rifles... 17 this year... Is it hard too get a air gun lisence? do i need an adult with me then i go out with the gun? ( i dont know any adults would can do that... none arae interrested ...) guess i will have to go out on my own... guess that sounds cool... just stalking around on your own in the wilderness... I live im cumbria... not interrested in getting any training... is training needed? is there anywhere in cumbria i can just go and shoot?... dont want too pay for training... just set up a target and shoot somewhere... what type of air rifle sould i be looking too get... there are meny and dont cost much.. around £100-300£... was thinking about this air gun, WEIHRAUCH HW98 F.T Long Range Air Rifle from Sportsman Guncentre Ltd... just wanna start on rabbits and maybe clay pigons someone said... dont know where to go and if i need a lisence or where to get one infact and land permission...

can anyone help... wanna get out the house... need a hobby... maybe get a dog... maybe i can ask about that in another forum...

well welcome to THL, where abouts in cumbria are you? i would recomed staying on hear and asking as many questions as you wish most of us are here to help.

firstly i think the age at whtch you can shoot un supervised is now 18 shit i know but hey.

and no you dont need a licence for a standard airgun. no their isnt any where you can just shoot you must have permission of the landowner first you can shoot in your back garden if its safe, or joing a gun range thats a very good way to get into this and meet people.

no you dont need training but you do need lots and lots of practice when you can hit a 10p at 30m every time then shoot at live critters. clay pidgeons are not normaly shot with airguns just shotguns. however sitting clays up as still targets is good fun because they shatter when hit.

permission is hard to come by very hard in cumbria but if you are safe honest and give a good first inpression then you may just get on. but if you do get permission dont for christ sakes bugger it up because the farmer will probly never let any one on agen,

i used to live in cumbria and could walk from breastones to cold fell and have permission all the way!

all the best pc

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I'd like to hunt for food in the UK(not that I would waste the hide or anything else). Where can I hunt, and what can I hunt with an air-gun? How much does one cost? Where do people hunt? There is a forest near me maybe 1mile squared, can I go hunt wild boar in there with a air-rifle? I've seen deer around, never actually seen a boar but apparently there are many. I'm practising archery as I'd like to move to a country where bow-hunting, spear-hunting etc. is legal, but until then I would like to be able to hunt some food here.

Edited by miles37

I personally recommend that the only thing you buy is some good books, watch as many DVD's as you can, go for plenty of walks and think hard before you buy anything else.....

There's far to many airguns being sold by "wannabee hunters" that end up on some council estate being shot by some thug at cats, ducks, cars and even people and far to many dogs being sold over and over till theres no value and they get dumped. Leaving the genuine people with the bad name!!

Then after thinking over everything you've learn't, join a air gun club, hone your skills there, not on live quarry, "one shot, one kill" and "a good shot is a safe shot" (nearly typed sh1t..lol) should always be you moto's, people don't hunt just to injure animals, only idiots do that. Leaving genuine poeple with the bad name!!

Then and only then, if you truely 'need' a dog and have thought deeply and very carefully if you can devote the time, effort, space and expense to look after a dog do you venture down that road, an air rilfe is one thing, but a dog is a living animal and to treat them baddly is cruel and not what hunting is about at all, if anyones else tells you different they are a complete idiot !! Leaving the genuine people with the bad name!!

If your genuinely interested you will put in the time and effort in before doing anything else.

Hi. I'd like to hunt for food in the UK(not that I would waste the hide or anything else). Where can I hunt, and what can I hunt with an air-gun? How much does one cost? Where do people hunt? There is a forest near me maybe 1mile squared, can I go hunt wild boar in there with a air-rifle? I've seen deer around, never actually seen a boar but apparently there are many. I'm practising archery as I'd like to move to a country where bow-hunting, spear-hunting etc. is legal, but until then I would like to be able to hunt some food here.

Oh yeah you would look well hunting wild boar with an air rifle man, are you a LUNATIC or just a SIMPLETON. Just keep practising archery and move to the rain forest :fool:

Oh yeah you would look well hunting wild boar with an air rifle man, are you a LUNATIC or just a SIMPLETON. Just keep practising archery and move to the rain forest :fool:

shooting boar with an air rifle :laugh: oh this site is swirling the plug hole.

• 2 weeks later...

it sound absurd but dont ansewr people who think shooting a boar with an air rfile is ok with nasty comments :no: . he obviously is very new and the best thing to do is just explain.

miles, assuming your 14 or over you can hunt with a air rfile borrowed from someone 21 years or older (i.e ur dad) unaccomponied edible quarry you can hunt with an airgun are rabbits, wood pigeons and squirrels. i would strongly recommend you join an airgun club near you and get some practice and help from experienced shooters before buying an airgun. bow hunting or spear hunting is a big no-no in the uk and you really have to have an exceptional shot and have good fieldcraft before starting in the u.s.a or aus. you need to ask permission from the land owner before shooting. if you dont your facing a criminal record. i would rewally highly recommend you get down a club before you start and talk to the people there.