discouraging silver fish??

The last few times i have been fishing i have been pluaged with silver fish. I have been targeting tench and bream of any size and carp ranging from about 5-10lb, i have been using an open ended feeder and method feeder packed with groundbait and 2 grains of sweetcorn on the hook.I have also float fished sweetcorn, worm and pellets

The problem though is that every chuck i am greeeted by loads of small roach which mop up my hookbait and loosefeed before the larger fish can get there :(, i know that there are large carp and tench in this lake but how can i catch them!?

Guest arch1

Try feeding them off. A lake near me had largish Bream in it. But no matter how you fished it you always got the small stuff first, them the Skimmers turned up, then eventually the big boys. I just kept feeding via either a larger feeder or by a catty and kept at it. It worked in the end for me.

Another thing, try cutting out the fishmeal, everywhere you go these days has had tons of fishmeal chucked in, all the fish seem to be on it. Try a different groundbait, a sweet one. Bream used to like that.

Best of luck, pictures required when you catch.

:thumbs:

Now and again I fish a lake that has plenty of tench and tons of small rudd. To target the tench I feed small pellets with a soft tutti frutti pellet on the hook. I've had up to 16 tench in a morning with no rudd. Using maggots I've had 100s of small rudd with no tench.

Don't mess about mate, get a big 'ol pellet hair rigged and im sure you won't be pestered by "bits"... :victory:

Perfect answer that any rudd that can take down a banded 8mm halibut pellet is a rudd worth catching

Richard

Thats the way you's boys have to do it but the day I have to use a hair rig on an Irish water is the day I'll give it up, LOL.

Mind you, I swore I'd never use pellets.

:tongue2: Neil, With the pellets you mostly need to use a hair mate if your'e going to use a hard pellet (as in this instance). Likewise on the rivers, without a hair it would be difficult to present the pellet and have any degree of confidence it is still on the hook!

It took us barbel anglers many decades to get onto the hair, we were trapped in the mists of time with the old faithful "luncheon meat" and casters, but we have mostly all moved on now and the hair is now part and parcel of where i now fish. Saying that, i still don't like it for chub.. :victory:

Thats the way you's boys have to do it but the day I have to use a hair rig on an Irish water is the day I'll give it up, LOL.

Mind you, I swore I'd never use pellets.

:tongue2: Neil, With the pellets you mostly need to use a hair mate if your'e going to use a hard pellet (as in this instance). Likewise on the rivers, without a hair it would be difficult to present the pellet and have any degree of confidence it is still on the hook!

It took us barbel anglers many decades to get onto the hair, we were trapped in the mists of time with the old faithful "luncheon meat" and casters, but we have mostly all moved on now and the hair is now part and parcel of where i now fish. Saying that, i still don't like it for chub.. :victory:

Why dont you like them for chub ? is it because of deep hooking ?