making lurchers

I would always go lucher to lucher when breeding a bitch of mine to get a pup but sooner or later your going have put a pure to your line :thumbs:

And.....why do you believe that?

Dan just think that your going have to some time or another l try explain.

The pup l breed last year her dam was saluki x wheaten x greyhound her sire was deerhound wheaten x greyhound x bull.

Already there is to much breeds in that mix so when l breed her l am thinking off putting her to a pure to thin the mix out :thumbs:

A pure what though?

She only turning 2 this season so wont be until she about 4 or so but thinking a pure saluki or a good staying dog think that is the only think she is missing but only time will tell she prop wont be good enough to breed from find out this year and the next :thumbs: :thumbs:

O.K mate only i have seen and had a lot of disapointments [bANNED TEXT] going back to pure greyhounds.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

intresting topic everybody will have opinion for me as a good allrounder thats a dog that will do daytime hares work with ferrets and lamp the few dogs i have had over the years that have done this h

I believe genetics plays a big part , working parents , bred to catch ,will pass on those genes to their pups, those genes the ability to catch is upmost in all top class dogs, On the other hand , n

I would always go lucher to lucher when breeding a bitch of mine to get a pup but sooner or later your going have put a pure to your line :thumbs:

And.....why do you believe that?

The pup l breed last year her dam was saluki x wheaten x greyhound her sire was deerhound wheaten x greyhound x bull.

Already there is to much breeds in that mix so when l breed her l am thinking off putting her to a pure to thin the mix out :thumbs:

A pure what though?

She only turning 2 this season so wont be until she about 4 or so but thinking a pure saluki or a good staying dog think that is the only think she is missing but only time will tell she prop wont be good enough to breed from find out this year and the next :thumbs: :thumbs:

O.K mate only i have seen and had a lot of disapointments [bANNED TEXT] going back to pure greyhounds.

l WOULD ALWAYS GO LUCHER TO LUCHER EVEN A 3/4 JUST TO NARROW THE LINE DOWN :thumbs:

Already there is to much breeds in that mix so when l breed her l am thinking off putting her too a pure to thin the mix out :thumbs:

If I were you, I'd just breed back to a pure lamping dogs or a pure coursing dog depending on what you want. :thumbs:

I believe genetics plays a big part , working parents , bred to catch ,will pass on those genes to their pups, those genes the ability to catch is upmost in all top class dogs,

On the other hand , no bog standard greyhound produced today, no matter what its won , is ever born to catch, likewise no collie no matter how smart was ever produced to do the work of a top class running dog the genes are not there,

Having bred first x's in the past and perfect good dogs in there own right, are just not in the same league as a purpose bred animal, there just seems to be an inbred sense of timing and striking ability in good lurcher x lurcher,,thats my opinion for what its worth , best of luck,,

• Like 1

Right our 'lurchers' are a proper mix of all kinds of shit, mostly with very little true breeding, and little litter conformity.

The stags, which are basically lurchers (although maybe that should be long dog), are basically greyhounds with better feet - dans words not mine, (and i'd say a bit of deerhound) added, that were bred down from the hounds that came over from here, but they seem to have a lot more true breeding lines, and and from the litters i have seen, real good litter consitancy.

So the stag breeders never need to throw a pure grey in anywhere, they just put another working stag in.

We have such a mish mash with a lot of our lurcher to lurcher dogs, we got to either through a pure in occasionally to 'tighten up' the lines, or start working on some proper line bred lurcher lines (which some obviously do), and that's gonna involve culling a lot and breeding with thought.

Just my take.

I believe genetics plays a big part , working parents , bred to catch ,will pass on those genes to their pups, those genes the ability to catch is upmost in all top class dogs,

On the other hand , no bog standard greyhound produced today, no matter what its won , is ever born to catch, likewise no collie no matter how smart was ever produced to do the work of a top class running dog the genes are not there,

Having bred first x's in the past and perfect good dogs in there own right, are just not in the same league as a purpose bred animal, there just seems to be an inbred sense of timing and striking ability in good lurcher x lurcher,,thats my opinion for what its worth , best of luck,,

Their speaks a voice of exsperiance well said.atb dell

Not been on T H L for a while,j this thread caught my attention, I've just recently been offered a bitch pup out of College Causeway , I'm seriously thinking of taking it to breed but my head's fxxxxd like a chicken trying to think what would be the best cross to line it with, definately no bull cross. anybody got a real daytime dog out there.

just wondering do any off ye guys line breed your lurchers. or do you just breed what you think is a good dog to good bitch and hope for the best. IMO there are alot of disapointments in this method, reason being that brothers and sisters of the dogs used may have been no good and alot of these great dogs are once offs that cant reproduce themselves because there out of nothing. just a thought

just wondering do any off ye guys line breed your lurchers. or do you just breed what you think is a good dog to good bitch and hope for the best. IMO there are alot of disapointments in this method, reason being that brothers and sisters of the dogs used may have been no good and alot of these great dogs are once offs that cant reproduce themselves because there out of nothing. just a thought

:thumbs:

And also lots of litter variation.

well snizle,i agree totally with your thinking,to produce guaranteed workers both sire and dam need to posses the gene that makes them excell in the hunting field,you can line the best working dog to the most outstanding bitch and still produce only mediocre offspring,because either the dog or the bitch only inherited the working gene and therfore its not guaranteed to pass to the off spring,iv line bred dogs for the last 15yrs and every one has excelled at there job,in the past i also bred very good dogs to very good bitches and produced dirt,i would never breed from a greyhound that wasnt tried and tested in the hunting field,and believe me a greyhound that will kill toothed quarry on a regular basis is a very rare find! imo

Dont agree with that at all,,,striking ability or timing isn't inbred its learnt by doing....the more access the dog has to game the better it will become...dogs overtime develope their own style of striking it comes with experience :icon_eek:

Dont agree with that at all,,,striking ability or timing isn't inbred its learnt by doing....the more access the dog has to game the better it will become...dogs overtime develope their own style of striking it comes with experience :icon_eek:

a pup i bred 3yrs ago used to sneak off up the fields at the back of my house when he was 9months old,lie down in the ditch and wait for the rabbits to come out,then course and catch one,he would run along side the rabbit then when he thought the time was right he would change gear and pick it up,i agree they improve with experience but there born with the ability

imo