making lurchers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

intresting topic everybody will have opinion for me as a good allrounder thats a dog that will do daytime hares work with ferrets and lamp the few dogs i have had over the years that have done this h

I believe genetics plays a big part , working parents , bred to catch ,will pass on those genes to their pups, those genes the ability to catch is upmost in all top class dogs, On the other hand , n

Worker + Worker = Worker

Greyhound x = romantic notions and possibilities

The first line is true as true can be BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Most here in the states don’t even know what a "good" GH is. Dogs that don’t make the track because of there physical ability or that physiological [temperament} can’t make the track get passed around out here like candy. That’s were the worker to worker bit comes in. Most of the greyhounds never “workedâ€. I was in the racing biz for a little bit and the bitchs that you would want to breed to make A, AA pups don’t grow on trees and sure as shit don’t show up at a sale to be bought and make Stags or Lurchers. This is the negative stigma come in……you broke the “golden Rule†you never went worker to worker. Once you have a real GH in your hands then you’ll know what I’m talking about. Don’t get me wrong I’ve bred lurcher to lucher and Lurcher to greyhound even GH to non sight hound several times its all in using the right dogs, there no set recipe in dog breeding its always a game of chance even when you put your best foot forward-Stunt.

Most here in the states don’t even know what a "good" GH is. Dogs that don’t make the track because of there physical ability or that physiological [temperament} can’t make the track get passed around out here like candy. That’s were the worker to worker bit comes in. Most of the greyhounds never “workedâ€. I was in the racing biz for a little bit and the bitchs that you would want to breed to make A, AA pups don’t grow on trees and sure as shit don’t show up at a sale to be bought and make Stags or Lurchers. This is the negative stigma come in……you broke the “golden Rule†you never went worker to worker. Once you have a real GH in your hands then you’ll know what I’m talking about. Don’t get me wrong I’ve bred lurcher to lucher and Lurcher to greyhound even GH to non sight hound several times its all in using the right dogs, there no set recipe in dog breeding its always a game of chance even when you put your best foot forward-Stunt.

:thumbs: Good post ya fag! :thumbs:

Aye, big thing here, very few have worked greyhounds, for generations, so the breed just aint built for work. A 'proper' working greyhound, bred worker to worker over generations, would be a handy thing to have around for your line, in my opinion. But picking a grey to use, just cos its a grey, is just a bit foolish, if there is a working option of a tested x breed.

Worker + Worker = Worker

Most here in the states don't even know what a "good" GH is. Dogs that don't make the track because of there physical ability or that physiological [temperament} can't make the track get passed around out here like candy. That's were the worker to worker bit comes in. Most of the greyhounds never "worked". I was in the racing biz for a little bit and the bitchs that you would want to breed to make A, AA pups don't grow on trees and sure as shit don't show up at a sale to be bought and make Stags or Lurchers. This is the negative stigma come in……you broke the "golden Rule" you never went worker to worker. Once you have a real GH in your hands then you'll know what I'm talking about. Don't get me wrong I've bred lurcher to lucher and Lurcher to greyhound even GH to non sight hound several times its all in using the right dogs, there no set recipe in dog breeding its always a game of chance even when you put your best foot forward-Stunt.

well put stuntman,i keep a few greyhounds myself--a lot of them dont make the track due to being fighters-these dogs are seldom slow.Im thinking of 1 gh in particular "split the bill"-his pups had more drive and kill than most bull xs and were super fast.A lot of them liked to "have a look" at the very least during races...I believe a brother or uncle (cant remember which) of him was at stud in america but was sold on

to argentina after killing and partially eating a kennel mate. (edited :parade song was his name)

Edited by tinytiger

Worker + Worker = Worker

if that was the case, why aint there a serious gap between the abilities of a lurcher bred from workers to workers an dogs that were bred from grey............

worker to worker will gee ye better odds i agree, but i seen a few 3/4 breds an 1/2 crosses that can hold theyr own wae any worker to worker :thumbs:

intresting topic everybody will have opinion for me as a good allrounder thats a dog that will do daytime hares work with ferrets and lamp the few dogs i have had over the years that have done this have been lurcher x lurcher they are far n few between good allrounders but certain lines of lurchers consistentely produce good dogs speed is not everything in a lurcher too much can be a handicap we have seen em fly to hare and fly straigt past if it was all about speed we would all have greyhounds

• Like 1

Aye, big thing here, very few have worked greyhounds, for generations, so the breed just aint built for work. A 'proper' working greyhound, bred worker to worker over generations, would be a handy thing to have around for your line, in my opinion. But picking a grey to use, just cos its a grey, is just a bit foolish, if there is a working option of a tested x breed.

IDE- I agree, BullXs arent a big thing here in the states so I really cant comment from experiance but I would imagine quite a few Staffs get bred to sight hounds just because they are "Staffs" in the UK. Fewer than few I would wager have seen the "work" that would qualify them to be bred to an equal in sighthound field.

Edit to add thats what happens here with the greyhounds...."its a greyhound it must be fast" :laugh:

Edited by STUNTMAN

IDE- I agree, BullXs arent a big thing here in the states so I really cant comment from experiance but I would imagine quite a few Staffs get bred to sight hounds just because they are "Staffs" in the UK. Fewer than few I would wager have seen the "work" that would qualify them to be bred to an equal in sighthound field.

Edit to add thats what happens here with the greyhounds...."its a greyhound it must be fast" :laugh:

Nail. On. Head.

Aye i'm sure a lot of our 'Bull x's', the bull in the line is not proper tested, and is just used cos its a bull and looks the part.

But then a lot get around this by breeding bull x to bull x.

But even here it's the same crack, big head, looks hard, got scars, must be 'good'.

Obviously we do have some legal excuses, but still. . . . . .

But i guess if you want the best, rather than a chance of something good, you gotta really put the 'work' in at every stage of the breeding and testing. And at least that way you know that it all comes to standard.

I would always go lucher to lucher when breeding a bitch of mine to get a pup but sooner or later your going have put a pure to your line :thumbs:

And.....why do you believe that?

Dan just think that your going have to some time or another l try explain.

The pup l breed last year her dam was saluki x wheaten x greyhound her sire was deerhound wheaten x greyhound x bull.

Already there is to much breeds in that mix so when l breed her l am thinking off putting her too a pure to thin the mix out :thumbs:

Edited by iceman001979

I would always go lucher to lucher when breeding a bitch of mine to get a pup but sooner or later your going have put a pure to your line :thumbs:

The pup l breed last year her dam was saluki x wheaten x greyhound her sire was deerhound wheaten x greyhound x bull.

Already there is to much breeds in that mix so when l breed her l am thinking off putting her to a pure to thin the mix out :thumbs:

A pure what though?

Already there is to much breeds in that mix so when l breed her l am thinking off putting her to a pure to thin the mix out :thumbs:

A pure what though?

She only turning 2 this season so wont be until she about 4 or so but thinking a pure saluki or a good staying dog think that is the only think she is missing but only time will tell she prop wont be good enough to breed from find out this year and the next :thumbs: :thumbs: