A VERY close encounter

Hi Guy's.

Went for a little mooch late afternoon yesterday.

Got to the permission about 16.30, and got the kit ready.

Crept up to the gate, and peered around the corner......nothing out.

Made my way down towards the corner of the field, and got settled behind an old tree.

Was there for about 20 mins, and out came the first bunny.

He was tight in the corner and lazed at 48yds, so I waited for him to move out a bit.

After about 10 mins he started to settle down, but had his back to me, the bugger would not turn around.

So eventualy, i gave a him squeak, his head came up and he turned towards me, sat upright on his hind leg's, perfect shot!! squeezed the trigger and sent him up in the air, not olympic standard but desereved a 5. :D

Whatching him through the scope I saw his back leg's kicking, he was a good 2 yds out from the hedge, but managed to kick himself into the brush :wallbash: I looked and listened for quite a while but couldnt find the bugger.

After all the comotion I thought it best to move position to another field.

The other field offers cover on approach from behind some thick bush and scrub, so making use of the cover, I made my way over.

Peering through the bushes I could see 4 sat out chewing on the shoot's of the new crop, but they lazed at 86 yds.

Got over the fence and started to stalk forward, of course bunnies clocked me and legged it.

Not to worry, made my way along the egdge of the field, and took up position in a plough rutt at the edge of the field, approx 40yds from where the bunnies were.

Got comfy, and started the wait.

Had been there for about 30 minutes, when I caught a glimpse of movement out of my right eye, I froze to the spot, thinking this is one VERY silly bunny.

To my utter disbelief, and shock, an old Vixen came into view, not THREE YARDS from me, she was looking along the the field, shoulders low and a front paw off the ground.

She looked in pretty poor condition, her back was redish, but the flank's and belley were brown, teet's looked hammered, so I guess she had not long pupped.

I was straining my neck looking at her and moved very slightly, she heard me,and looked straght at me, but didnt show any real alarm, just held my stare for a couple off seconds, coughed, and walked away.

An experience I wont forget, and doubt Ill have the pleasure of repeating.

Not supprisingly, I didnt see much after that, so called it a day, and made my way back to the car.

A good couple of hour's with a story to tell :thumbs:

ATB.

Bill.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi bill

nice read that buddy ,had the same happen to me a few years back ,a big dog fox just staring at me !

Nice shooting buddy and dont forget your camera next time lol

regards

davy

good rear that mate its allways good to see other things than just what u shooting must say

atb chris

Hi Chris.

Well, what can I say mate, I hardly know you, but thank you for the comnment about my rear :icon_redface::thumbs::D

Your right Chris, not all about the kill is it?

It was quite an experience.

Cheers mate.

Bill.

hi bill

nice read that buddy ,had the same happen to me a few years back ,a big dog fox just staring at me !

Nice shooting buddy and dont forget your camera next time lol

regards

davy

Hiya Davy.

Thank's mate, glad you enjoyed it :thumbs:

Its quite something being that close to a Fox in its own enviourment, very humbling, as you know.

I had the camera with me buddy, but alas, on this occasion, bugger all to take a picture of :(:D

Always next time a :thumbs: ?

ATB.

Bill.

thats hell of a read for a crap afternoon mate,bad news on loseing your bunney bud,next time.

Hiya Falcongit.

Thank's mate.

It was'nt that crap realy, well...... on the bag front maybe it was. :yes::D

Comming home with a bunny or two is a bonus for sure, but for me, just being there is reward enough :thumbs:......... just wont eat tonight :D

As you say mate........NEXT time :yes:

ATB.

Bill.

good rear that mate its allways good to see other things than just what u shooting must say

atb chris

Hi Chris.

Well, what can I say mate, I hardly know you, but thank you for the comnment about my rear :icon_redface::thumbs::D

Cheers mate.

Bill.

well mate wat can i say :icon_redface: at least i shoot better than i spell eh :clapper: i got permission and im allways garented to see a couple off roe deer so cnt complain will get camera up there next time,

atb chris

thats hell of a read for a crap afternoon mate,bad news on loseing your bunney bud,next time.

Hiya Falcongit.

Thank's mate.

It was'nt that crap realy, well...... on the bag front maybe it was. yes.gifbiggrin.gif

Comming home with a bunny or two is a bonus for sure, but for me, just being there is reward enough thumbs.gif......... just wont eat tonight biggrin.gif

As you say mate........NEXT time yes.gif

ATB.

Bill.

yes its amazing what you see when you are out in the field,and it keeps you fit.thumbs.gif the other day i had munt jack about 15 yards away from me staring at me then just ploded of doing its own thing.

Hiya Falcongit.

Thank's mate.

It was'nt that crap realy, well...... on the bag front maybe it was. :yes::D

Comming home with a bunny or two is a bonus for sure, but for me, just being there is reward enough :thumbs:......... just wont eat tonight :D

As you say mate........NEXT time :yes:

ATB.

Bill.

hi ya bill

i cant agree more buddy

its the fact that we are out and enjoying the warm and the peace and if we come back with one or two rabbits its all been worth it good read bill :thumbs::clapper:

shay

atb chris

Hi Chris.

Well, what can I say mate, I hardly know you, but thank you for the comnment about my rear icon_redface.gifthumbs.gifbiggrin.gif

Cheers mate.

Bill.

Hi bud it,s not about numbers .Its the thrill of the hunt.some what to brag.Others just love the game.atb. Catcher thumbs.gif

Hard luck S.T, I had something happen like that last year on a pasture, was just about to take the shot when a fox lept over the fencing to grab the rabbit, the fox saw me, dropped the rabbit, the rabbit went one way, the fox went the other, and I just laid there gobsmacked :D

atb chris

Hi Chris.

Cheers mate.

Bill.

well mate wat can i say :icon_redface: at least i shoot better than i spell eh :clapper: i got permission and im allways garented to see a couple off roe deer so cnt complain will get camera up there next time,

atb chris

Hi Chris.

Realy mate......this has got to stop.......NOW you want to get the camera up there :icon_eek::D;)

ATB.

Bill.

Hiya Falcongit.

Thank's mate.

It was'nt that crap realy, well...... on the bag front maybe it was. yes.gifbiggrin.gif

Comming home with a bunny or two is a bonus for sure, but for me, just being there is reward enough thumbs.gif......... just wont eat tonight biggrin.gif

As you say mate........NEXT time yes.gif

ATB.

Bill.

yes its amazing what you see when you are out in the field,and it keeps you fit.thumbs.gif the other day i had munt jack about 15 yards away from me staring at me then just ploded of doing its own thing.

Brilliant mate, nice to get so close nature :thumbs:

Bill.