terrier will not come back

I have a 7 month old border lakeland bitch.in the house or garden

she will come back but when we are out and she gets the scent of

something she just blanks out today she went missing for 2 hours.

anybody got any tips on training?

i am interested to hear what people think here too, as i have a 3 year old terrier i took off a woman who tried to cut his throat and he has serious designs on the horizon if he's not on a lead whether there is something to chase or not and it is holding me back from working him as i cant seem to improve his recall.

i was advised to buy a really long lead so he could have some slack but learn he should stay within a certain distance and help with recall training, this has had no positive effect whatsoever.

im sure you can buy lightweight rope/cord strong enough breaking strain not to break on a snap but light weight enough not to get in the way but just get as long as you need put it on her coller hold other end of it or tie it to your belt then just hold the coil let the dog run then when to far stop it and show her wher you want her to go distance wise and then call her back and praise her when she does come back my jrt done the same but would only yap at things in the dark wood about my area so i could hear where she went so just followed her now i take summut what she is intrested in like a squeeky ball and when she goes to far i make the noise and she comes back and soon will be on a shepperds whistle to call her back instead of ball as in process of training still atb hope this helps

• Like 1

get the dog in an old barn or a tennis court so it can t escape and practice your recall or use a lengh of washing line , electric training collars are very good if used sensabley, best of luck mate

Squeaky toys! My terriers go crazy for them. Make sure they only get it when they come back, not at home etc, and play with it in front of them, really have fun (c'mon, it's not the first time your terrier's made you look like a crazy person!) you want them to want that toy so badly they will drop anything to come and get it. This is the only thing which worked with my Jack russel, thought I'd never be able to call her and see her running.

I've found with terriers you have to fight fire with fire to get them as biddable as other dogs. That terrier has to know if it doesn't come back to you when called, it's in a whole world of shit...

That terrier has to know if it doesn't come back to you when called, it's in a whole world of shit...

Worked with my previous terriers :thumbs: . Not reccomended for lurchers though.

I agree with you 100% there mate. :thumbs:

That terrier has to know if it doesn't come back to you when called, it's in a whole world of shit...

Worked with my previous terriers :thumbs: . Not reccomended for lurchers though.

Well said terriers are highly strung once they know who the boss is they are quick learners atb