Hi all,

I have no desire to own one but can anybody tell me the law on owning pistols these days?

I thought they were illegal but there seems to be quite a few for sale on guntrader? :hmm:

I also note that quite a few clubs are still called so & so rifle and pistol club.

Anybody clear this up for me please?

Hi all,

I have no desire to own one but can anybody tell me the law on owning pistols these days?

I thought they were illegal but there seems to be quite a few for sale on guntrader? hmm.gif

I also note that quite a few clubs are still called so & so rifle and pistol club.

you can have a section 5 firearm providing it has something unique about it, i.e it was 1 of 10 ever made, or was owned by william of the great north sea (you get my point) but it then becomes a 7.3 firearm and must be stored in a heritige gun club and only accessable on heratige nights, you also cant pick it up from a shop yourself, someone whos a section 5 RFD must do this. not sure on the aplication to get a 7.3 pistol so someone else might have to speek about that.

or you can get a muzzle loading pistol (black powder) on a normal FAC ticket, or a Long barreled recolver on a normal FAC ticket too both will be for target shooting only of course.

or if they are deactivated you can buy one anytime :)

Edited by AzMaN

Hi all,

I thought they were illegal but there seems to be quite a few for sale on guntrader? hmm.gif

you can have a section 5 firearm providing it has something unique about it, i.e it was 1 of 10 ever made, or was owned by william of the great north sea (you get my point) but it then becomes a 7.3 firearm and must be stored in a heritige gun club and only accessable on heratige nights, you also cant pick it up from a shop yourself, someone whos a section 5 RFD must do this. not sure on the aplication to get a 7.3 pistol so someone else might have to speek about that.

or you can get a muzzle loading pistol (black powder) on a normal FAC ticket, or a Long barreled recolver on a normal FAC ticket too both will be for target shooting only of course.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

:thumbs:

Hi all,

You can also buy pistols for humane dispatch fella if you can prove you have good reason to own. :thumbs:

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

:thumbs:

Hi all,

I thought they were illegal but there seems to be quite a few for sale on guntrader? :hmm:

It's hugely convoluted but, essentially, just about the only thing you can't own a pistol for these days is target shooting; unless it's a big one, or a muzzle loading one, or a historic one.

There are are also exemptions for owning them for shootng animals, possessing as part of a collection, possessing as a historic handgun, and possessing under the exemption for antique firearms.

Also, you can possess them for the purposes of starting races - yes, that's right, you can possess a .44 Magnum perfectly legally for starting althletic races yet if you target shoot with it you can do 10 years!!!

What a wonderfully *****ed up country we live in.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

i have a smith & weston revovler 6 shot reduced to a 2 shot 22 rimfire section 5 . for dispatch was refused a semi auto pistol on the grounds it was easy to knock out the weld in the mag CRAPP the revolver is a lot easier to do .and much more bulky to carry on the hip holsterd pistol safe required in my van fixed to the floor pan for carriage .