There's been alot of this mentioned lately on here. I give now and then bones (lamb) to my dogs, they are fed on meat, veg and biscuit.

What do you feed yours?

When chicken wings are offered, raw and fed whole?

What bones do you give your dogs?

chicken carcass /wings , beef mince raw .fish ,raw some veg occasional small amounts of mixer ,

most meaty bones but not pork bones ...cant remember why not ,,mybe it was an old wifes tail about pork bones and dogs i heard at one time ..oh yea and i add olive oil to the feed :thumbs:

I give meat etc, in the form of rabbit and some butchers waste, including pork as it's unlikely to be wormy as of old which was a worry of old, pigs trotter being a favorite of the dogs. I'm lucky as the rabbits come with having lurchers and I've a butcher that alows me access to his bone box so I can pick up that days throw out so it's pretty fresh and then frozen into daily portions on return home. This is in addition to a complete and table scraps ie we usually do a few extra veg that goes to the dogs. Amounts vary a few examples might range from

1. lamp breast, pigs trotter one day,

2. complete with a little veg the next

3. half a rabbit and some complete

4. complete and veg, anon.

I'm aware of the risks of feeding bones but personally feel the benifits outweight the risk at this point when not overfed but it has to be an individual choice. By using own caught rabbits and fresh as available butchers waste I also reduce the bacterial load to a minimum. The end result works well for me with healthy energenic dogs that hold good stamina and cope with some heavy workloads by getting a good variety of protein fat and carbohydrate.

Regards sandymere.

Theres some good diets posted :thumbs:

Regarding the mince, ive always on the spare of the moment brought fresh and offered to dogs the same day. Frozen mince, would that be suitable for them, i.e defrost night before?

Also the Riohog i enjoy olive oil myself :D , i take it you use for the dogs coat? Do you offer that everyday?

Sandymere i can get access to pigs trotters, are they ok to give the dogs each day with other supplements?

I'm asking as i'm thinking of slowly introducing more raw to my dogs diet, eventually feeding raw as to a biscuit mixed diet. Dog food has gone sky high!

Regarding the mince, ive always on the spare of the moment brought fresh and offered to dogs the same day. Frozen mince, would that be suitable for them, i.e defrost night before?

Also the Riohog i enjoy olive oil myself :D , i take it you use for the dogs coat? Do you offer that everyday?

Sandymere i can get access to pigs trotters, are they ok to give the dogs each day with other supplements?

I'm asking as i'm thinking of slowly introducing more raw to my dogs diet, eventually feeding raw as to a biscuit mixed diet. Dog food has gone sky high!

yes i give them olive oil every day the coats look good and it also has a fat content works for me :thumbs:

Mine get lamb ribs,backs,necks..pigs trotters ..chicken mince,beef mince,beef cheeks,rabbit,all fed raw with no meal at all if i can help it..also a little fresh veg 3 times a week. They are sound ,healthy and full of energy.They occasionally get pheasant ,partrige..and pigeon if they catch them lol...atb stabba...just to add all the above are fed as fresh as possible

I get butchers offcuts too and my dogs eat everything apart from the pigs trotters, skin and heads (dont know why but they always leave um). Same as sandymare i bag up and freeze a random collection into day sized portions. The only rubbish i have from the butchers is the trotters, pig skin and heads. I dont get a lot of white meat from the butchers though so i either buy a chicken for um once a week or more usually i manage to "come by" a rabbit or two. If i want to give them cod liver oil capsules etc or worming tablets i find it easier to use mince as you can make a little meatball with the pill in the middle of it and the dog eats it without even knowing. I feed boiled eggs to my dogs as a treat now and then, never raw as i heard raw eggs are bad for um (dont know if its true or not but why risk it?!) and they get a tin of tuna/sardines/mackerel in either oil or tomatoe juice also as a treat. They do really well on it too and have great coats and plenty of energy.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=151389

Edited by kill um with crisps

sorry little slow replying, I wouldn't give trotter daily but now an again there fine, I get them as part of the general butchers waste they only get trotter about once a month or so but perhaps a little more often wouldn't hurt, its trail and error, I use lamb ribs/necks or general pork waste a couple of timea a week, bones carry risks but it's a balence that is an individual choice. Frozen mince is fine but bear in mind pet mince is likely to have a heavey bacterial load so fresh butchers waste or human quality is likely to be better.

Regards sandymere

Artic i'll give you my mans number later . . . . he delivers raw food and its the best quality and price i've found. Get yourself an old chest freezer and put an order in, don't worry about doing it gradually, just put them straight over.

Mine get a mix of . . .

Beef rib

Lamb breast

Turkey necks

Lamb necks

Shin of beef

Chicken wings and carcasses

Turkey legs

Venison bones

Whole rabbits

Pheasant

Pigeon

Duck legs

Raw mackerel

Tripe

Minced . . chicken,beef, lamb and venison

Plus offal, eggs and veg if i can be arsed to blitz it up.

I try to do 3 days of bone meals then a day of offal/eggs and tripe . .. making a wet meal.

They never get dry food and i don't suppliment . . .. I've been feeding this for 3 years now and the dogs IMO look great and are constantly full of beans. I have also noticed a massive increase in recovery/healing time from injuries since i've fed raw. :thumbs:

I get butchers offcuts too and my dogs eat everything apart from the pigs trotters, skin and heads (dont know why but they always leave um). Same as sandymare i bag up and freeze a random collection into day sized portions. The only rubbish i have from the butchers is the trotters, pig skin and heads. I dont get a lot of white meat from the butchers though so i either buy a chicken for um once a week or more usually i manage to "come by" a rabbit or two. If i want to give them cod liver oil capsules etc or worming tablets i find it easier to use mince as you can make a little meatball with the pill in the middle of it and the dog eats it without even knowing. I feed boiled eggs to my dogs as a treat now and then, never raw as i heard raw eggs are bad for um (dont know if its true or not but why risk it?!) and they get a tin of tuna/sardines/mackerel in either oil or tomatoe juice also as a treat. They do really well on it too and have great coats and plenty of energy.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=151389

Mine love the trotters and all is quickly gone even the toenails but ther're all different, one of mine won't eat rabbit which is a bit of a pain. The egg thing is interesting, i found a study back along which showed that cooked were digested better than raw but in truth the difference was minimal, in reality cooking doesn't alter protein digestion to a significant degree, I feed raw meat because it contains bones which would be a problem if cooked and because its easier. I feed cooked veggies as they are markedly more digestable cooked than raw. Eggs are good as a snack post exercise in hot weather as a raw egg mixed with half a pint of water and a couple dog dog biscuits encourages extra fluids as well as giving a protein boost, mind let them get a drink of water then settle a while or your get a load of vomited eggy water on the floor.Regards sandymere