Stag hounds

Who would use a proven american staghound for stud if available?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who would use a proven american staghound for stud if available?

• Yes
    • No

how many deerhounds have you saw artic that can do what they are bred to do nowadays , ive not saw agood cross for years that can do the hare roe fox rabbit job ,like the ones i had and many others in the eighties , are there still dogs that can catch good winter hares etc , not saw one for years mate honestly

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think its important to keep a line of good dogs between close friends and people you trust. after all who gives a F**k what other people are running once your own dogs are top notch. Hense the reaso

Never understood needing big fields, just coz the dogs are big!? All my dogs have lamped rabbits, even in junk yards! I like a bigger dog, and mine have caught rabbits everywhere, and my two best dogs

Posted Images

looks like youve got folks trust dan think if you wanted to you could make few quid pal whilst helpin your cousins get fire back into there deerhpund crosses win win,if you wanted to do it that way me id prob breed a bit of good bull blood into the strain i know its hard to find real good bull blood but i can so thatsnwhat id do my opinion cheers

Just a point in relation to restoring the deerhound. Would it not be better to put a stag hound into the mix as it contains the blood of the original old school working deer hound? I dont see how putting bull blood into a deerhound will fix any problem. And im not talking about breeding for type here , im dead against that kc shit. what im saying is that these staghounds contain deerhound blood that is old stock and not kc and are probably like what the scotish deerhound would look like if the kc didnt make shit of them. im not talking about any few genuine working deerhounds left before someone takes offence.

But is it unreasonable to say that our deerhounds would look more like the staghounds if the kennel club didnt come into play?

Dan made a good point that we should just keep breeding worker to worker and create our own strains but maybe importing stags could speed up the process?

Good point, but like Dan has mentioned already, who do you trust to import quality not just any old staghound!!! Money isnt an issue, its usage!

For years we have got on with our own deerhounds and crosses, and worker to worker without any problems,doing the job correctly 100% and there are some top lines out there too.

Why introduce something else now? I see no point.

yes ,but there is allways room for inprovement in most breeds ...mybe take the gamble find a good proven strain in the u/s and import some straws and use a i cheeper opption than dirrect import of pups !!

how many deerhounds have you saw artic that can do what they are bred to do nowadays , ive not saw agood cross for years that can do the hare roe fox rabbit job ,like the ones i had and many others in the eighties , are there still dogs that can catch good winter hares etc , not saw one for years mate honestly

Whin your stuck in the 80's mate, a bit like me :clapper:

I have seen many many deerhounds that did take fox, the lot. I agree not as many now, but thats because of many different reasons, the ban is one of them.

Im talking pure deerhounds Whin, i assume your are to?

thtas agood idea riohog as my mate has one called cowboy at the moment in his second season areal good dog , he can do the coyote and the jack rabbit impressive balance turning and not bad wind , for no saluk in him ,rio hog when was the last time you saw agood derrhound type do the graft thtas expected on big nites along time ago for me , used to be some in the north east and some in scotland but not saw any for years

sorry lads i might look a fool but whats the make up of a stag hound as there not a reconised breed and everywhere i look for info on them all they say is visulise a deerhound x greyhound and there just seen as a greyhound proto type. so can anyone help clear it up for me as everyone who has seen my lurcher has said it looks like hes got stag hound in him. hes incredably strong and very musclar. no signs of bull in him or anything like that. even vet said hes got the structure of stag hound in him and since then been trying to look them up.

looks like youve got folks trust dan think if you wanted to you could make few quid pal whilst helpin your cousins get fire back into there deerhpund crosses win win,if you wanted to do it that way me id prob breed a bit of good bull blood into the strain i know its hard to find real good bull blood but i can so thatsnwhat id do my opinion cheers

Just a point in relation to restoring the deerhound. Would it not be better to put a stag hound into the mix as it contains the blood of the original old school working deer hound? I dont see how putting bull blood into a deerhound will fix any problem. And im not talking about breeding for type here , im dead against that kc shit. what im saying is that these staghounds contain deerhound blood that is old stock and not kc and are probably like what the scotish deerhound would look like if the kc didnt make shit of them. im not talking about any few genuine working deerhounds left before someone takes offence.

But is it unreasonable to say that our deerhounds would look more like the staghounds if the kennel club didnt come into play?

Dan made a good point that we should just keep breeding worker to worker and create our own strains but maybe importing stags could speed up the process?

Good point, but like Dan has mentioned already, who do you trust to import quality not just any old staghound!!! Money isnt an issue, its usage!

For years we have got on with our own deerhounds and crosses, and worker to worker without any problems,doing the job correctly 100% and there are some top lines out there too.

Why introduce something else now? I see no point.

Artic you are right in everything that you said. and I guess I am just thinking about a few "What if's". Trust would be a huge issue and if a man was serious about bringing back a good dog then he would have to see it working out there first! And if he did see it doing well out there then one thing he wouldnt have to worry about when he brought it back would be whether the dog should be doubled up for its first few runs out our not :clapper: . It is possible that these dogs could have a lot to offer eg coat, feet stamina, strength and above all prey drive and gameness that is tested on quarry that would eat our quarry for breckfast. Look if it never happens there is no harm in wondering and having a bit of a chin wag about it.

thtas agood idea riohog as my mate has one called cowboy at the moment in his second season areal good dog , he can do the coyote and the jack rabbit impressive balance turning and not bad wind , for no saluk in him ,rio hog when was the last time you saw agood derrhound type do the graft thtas expected on big nites along time ago for me , used to be some in the north east and some in scotland but not saw any for years

cant really make ancomment on deerhounds these days ,as i dont own one ,but im sure the boys in the know .,can tell you where the good ones are ...dont see to many down by me these days !

sorry lads i might look a fool but whats the make up of a stag hound as there not a reconised breed and everywhere i look for info on them all they say is visulise a deerhound x greyhound and there just seen as a greyhound proto type. so can anyone help clear it up for me as everyone who has seen my lurcher has said it looks like hes got stag hound in him. hes incredably strong and very musclar. no signs of bull in him or anything like that. even vet said hes got the structure of stag hound in him and since then been trying to look them up.

worker to worker

i asked several rio hog and mates with dogs do they no anybody with good deerhound crosses for an allround lurcher ,to work the hill , and keep his terrier company on days out etc be a sytalking companion of proven stock and have a good coat, he could get a saluk cross etc tomoz but fancys adog with abit coat , tred the bull cross wheqaton cross etc but fancys adeerhound cross lke he had as we had as teens , until we were early twenties a very good dog ,never saw any since of the same stamo cau strong hare etc flushed roe caut and killed fox a real good dog ,are there guys oput ther who still have good deerhound types like that

The problem is that if anybody tried to import a real good staghound over there, it would be impossible. These ass clowns over here would rape ya and send you shit. I know I wouldnt send you any of my good dogs so why would anybody else. You would end up buyin shit dogs from phony ass dog jockeys and then get them over there and realize you took it in the arse and hate the dogs when they should have been culled not shipped to some poor fella across the pond. Just breed workers to workers like some of these boys on here promote and you will have great dogs. The constant breeding of these F1 crosses is not good. It aint no different over there than it is over here. These dumb sumbitches over here are ruining our old school staghound blood by constantly breeding more shit track type dogs into them cause they think it will give them more speed and when their dogs dont get faster they breed more greyhound into them never realizing the dogs have plenty of speed but they aint showin it cause they "DONT WANT TO" catch the critter.

So true that Dan no one will sell a good dog but if I was you I would defo get the EDWARDS line over here bro if ther that good they will hae a impact on a lot of crosses :gunsmilie:

There is no Edwards line. I did not breed my dogs. I dont take any credit for any of that. I didnt even own my current dogs a year ago. They were handed over to me by a friend. My friend did not even breed them. He takes no credit for that. Good dogs are where you find them, not some magical secret or breeding plan. They just crop up here and there from time to time. Nobody could just wave a wand and recreate my yella dog. We are tryin to just keep what we have between a very small circle but it aint workin. I have wrecked my male dog twice now and one of the top bitches in this country died last night bred to her half brother who was also top notch. Their daddy was one of the greats. We were gonna combine blood of the best of the best. We have bred Stitch to a top notch bitch though a few weeks ago and hopefully in about 5 weeks or so we will be able to say, they are on the ground.

i asked several rio hog and mates with dogs do they no anybody with good deerhound crosses for an allround lurcher ,to work the hill , and keep his terrier company on days out etc be a sytalking companion of proven stock and have a good coat, he could get a saluk cross etc tomoz but fancys adog with abit coat , tred the bull cross wheqaton cross etc but fancys adeerhound cross lke he had as we had as teens , until we were early twenties a very good dog ,never saw any since of the same stamo cau strong hare etc flushed roe caut and killed fox a real good dog ,are there guys oput ther who still have good deerhound types like that

dont know to be honest . not my stamp of dog ,if i was that interested in them i would find one ,..but im not

some of the old boys ,might still adopt the attitude ,,..if you got a guddun ,keep it to yourself!!