(pre ban) how many fox would you let a young dog take dubbled up before you let it have a go single handed?

PRE BAN I think that even if the dogs capable of doint the job by itself theres always the chance of a f**k up, if youve got two dogs then i think doubled up is the only way.

Look at it this way, if your in a pub and a mate gets into a fight your going to jump in aint you? Even if you know your mate capable of sorting it himself?

Why risk your dog slipping at a crucial moment etc and getting his face bitten off when a second dog would avoid that?

Theres far to many "im hard cos my dogs only got half a face" pricks in the game and they give the rest of us a bad name.

We double up most of the time for numbers. The dogs take alot more stick doubled than they do single handed. I've seen a dogs nose litrally hanging on by 5mm of flesh and flapping over etc because we doubled up. Same dog does take stick single handed but nowhere near as much. For see this id never doubled up again on certain quarry.

A dog on its own can take complete control. The only dogs imo that take less stick doubled up overall are ones that look for "safe" holds and tbh are they even worth running? They just make the other dog look bad.

PRE BAN I think that even if the dogs capable of doint the job by itself theres always the chance of a f**k up, if youve got two dogs then i think doubled up is the only way.

Look at it this way, if your in a pub and a mate gets into a fight your going to jump in aint you? Even if you know your mate capable of sorting it himself?

Why risk your dog slipping at a crucial moment etc and getting his face bitten off when a second dog would avoid that?

Theres far to many "im hard cos my dogs only got half a face" pricks in the game and they give the rest of us a bad name.

We double up most of the time for numbers. The dogs take alot more stick doubled than they do single handed. I've seen a dogs nose litrally hanging on by 5mm of flesh and flapping over etc because we doubled up. Same dog does take stick single handed but nowhere near as much. For see this id never doubled up again on certain quarry.

A dog on its own can take complete control. The only dogs imo that take less stick doubled up overall are ones that look for "safe" holds and tbh are they even worth running? They just make the other dog look bad.

i think if there are 2 lurchers when you see a fox both will be slipped as there is more cance of catching it i have had 1 doubled up fox with my bitch but before she got that i have slipped her single and if i ever see another when im on my own i will slip her.i think if they are going to do it they will.what happens with these dogs that dont have another dog to work with

[

This is a silly answer if it's one on one why would you jump in unless it was to stop it. Too many gutless wonders out there jump in and gang up on people nowadays. If he is stupid enough to get in a fight and can handle himself let him wear his own lumps. Don't escalate it that's where things go pear shaped and someone ends up seriously injured.

Dhard thats hardly the point my dear little sugarpuff! Lol! Were talking about running foxes pre ban, not weather or not we would help a mate out in a fight! That was just an example, not a very good one perhaps depending on the quality of the friendship that you obviously offer.

lolclapper.gif

Dhard thats hardly the point my dear little sugarpuff! Lol! Were talking about running foxes pre ban, not weather or not we would help a mate out in a fight! That was just an example, not a very good one perhaps depending on the quality of the friendship that you obviously offer.

If a mate of mine was getting a pasting i'd intervene read what i said properly. If he is capable of handling it himself no need to be a thug and jump in and gang up. When you've had to save someones life because three blokes have ganged up on him for virtually no reason you to may get pissed of with comments about jumpin in. Especially as the relevance to this topic is diddly squat. I like the original post am interesting in hearing experienced lurcher owners views. I also would like to know how the ban has effected methods of hunting with lurchers. As if i read it right you can use a dog to flush the fox but you have to kill is yourself? Doesn't this go against the traditional method of which sighthounds hunt as they have always been bred to kill or can they be trained to hold? Could this be the reason for the addition of a bull breed as they are traditionally holders? Obviously as i abode in Australia the ban is irrelevant to me but the knowledge could be useful at some point.

p.s don't think i've ever been called a sugarpuff before at least not to my face :notworthy:

ME PERSONALLY WOULD LET MY MATE HAVE A SCRAP ON HIS OWN IF ITS JUST 1 ON 1 BUT IF THERES 2 OR 3 ON 1 THEN YEAH I WOULD STEP IN, WOTS THE POINT IN HAVEIN 2 DOGS ON 1 FOX WHEN ITS A JOB FOR 1 UNLESS YOU HAVE A DOG THATS SHIT.PLUS IN MY VIEW I DONT THINK THAT THE DOG HAS PROVED ITS SELF IF ITS DOUBLED UP ALL THE TIME wallbash.gif .

when u double your dogs on them they still get injuries?

sey if the fox locks onto 1 dogs muzzle and the other dog pulls it then itll tear half the dogs face anyway?

WELL SAID ,PEOPLE WONDER WHY THERE DOGS FACE IS SO BASHED UP BECAUSE THE PAW c**t ON THE FRONT END GETS PULLED AROUND.thumbs.gif

If your dog has the right drive he'll done it on his own, maybe be a little shocked when he hits his first and it hits him back, particularly if he's only done bunnies at that point,but if he's mature enough and ballsey enough, his drive will kick in,,only ever entered dogs on their tod, but only run lurchers with wheaton blood , can be different with other breeds,,

If a mate of mine was getting a pasting i'd intervene read what i said properly. If he is capable of handling it himself no need to be a thug and jump in and gang up. When you've had to save someones life because three blokes have ganged up on him for virtually no reason you to may get pissed of with comments about jumpin in. Especially as the relevance to this topic is diddly squat. I like the original post am interesting in hearing experienced lurcher owners views. I also would like to know how the ban has effected methods of hunting with lurchers. As if i read it right you can use a dog to flush the fox but you have to kill is yourself? Doesn't this go against the traditional method of which sighthounds hunt as they have always been bred to kill or can they be trained to hold? Could this be the reason for the addition of a bull breed as they are traditionally holders? Obviously as i abode in Australia the ban is irrelevant to me but the knowledge could be useful at some point.

p.s don't think i've ever been called a sugarpuff before at least not to my face :notworthy:

In answer to your question about how the ban has affected peoples hunting. No difference really, most of the time there is no one about to object to whats going on. Honestly i reckon that, way more people, are now hunting fox with lurchers since the ban, most of which didnt know what the f**k a lurcher was before it was on t.v.

The main difference is that now the word 'pre-ban' comes before everything you say and every photo you take, and then its all ok.

Jai.

I also reckon that if you bring the dog into the game running on its own then thats all it knows and it gets the job done fine. It might miss a couple at the start but it soon learns, just like any other quarry.

Jai.