poacher me old mate i know what a whippet is all about ,just never seen many worthy of calling a decent dog , i live in mineing villages and was brought up a round greyhounds and the odd whippet ,luke my old long gone collie type had racing grew in him ,just dont see ,what the big deal with pure whippets for aworking dog , on a hunting site , i have been unlucky that everone i have saw have been not to good , to short on the leg and exitable at times , there maybe good ones out there ,maybe, i know that ,just all of a sudden its whippet this and that ,when i was mad keen at rabbits in the early ninties , through to 95 a god rabbiting man or two never had awhippet now all of a sudden whippets galore , just the way i see things at times ,

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine will be 5 months old on the 16th. He's very fiery, not scared of anything and doesn't have problems with the cold or rain (was worried about this before I got him). He does tear easily though, of

yet to see a good working whippet ,for years, ive never had a dog cause i lke them i like a dog what does the work ,years a go we used to have rabbit comps there was a black whippet type looked near

When it came to the whippets vs whippet crosses debate, I was always on the side of the whippet crosses. However, since my brother bought a pure whippet a couple of years ago and is constantly regalin

Posted Images

My introduction to hunting was via my whippet, he was from Dondelayo lines....show lines, i was only 14 years old at the time. The lady who i got him off said that some of her dogs did work rabbits on the disused railway line next to her house and that they were good lampers. Didn't know much about rabbiting at the time, i got a whippet because a was allergic to longer haired dogs and i seemed to be ok with my grandads whippet. Well my little whippet was soon trying to slip his lead at any local cat he saw, not that a 14 year old would ever slip him. Anyway he soon found some rabbits in the nearby fields and from that point we never looked back....hooked. Took 4 years to catch our first rabbit, not many about locally and obviously i was green to the whole hunting game, but it was the best 4 years of hunting i have ever had. This little whippet would dive staight into the thickest bramble and nail a rabbit. He learned to work the lamp, he chased and caught the odd hare he stumbled upon with the help of the two border collies and a jack russell he worked with . He would have ago at fox, something i haven't ever had an interset in, but it didn't stop him....although i personally don't think a whippet can dispatch a fox quick enough. He had good preydrive and would always give 110%, he did occasionally open up, but never really bothered me unless lamping in front of a farm. Unfortunately, he got knocked down when he was at his best.

I have only worked lurchers since, mainly collie greyhounds, which do respond quicker to your commands and i find them less sensitive if you happen to raise your voice. My mother's whippet will stay out of distance if he thinks your in a bit of a mood....something which i find very frustrating. I would definitely have another whippet, i think they give you excellent in the seat of your pants sort of sport, great dogs to have around when bushing with terriers. I think in the right hands they are incredible little dogs.....although i'm lover of the little well built ones not these tall ones you see alot of knocking about today....each to there own :thumbs:

Edited by wuyang

poacher me old mate i know what a whippet is all about ,just never seen many worthy of calling a decent dog , i live in mineing villages and was brought up a round greyhounds and the odd whippet ,luke my old long gone collie type had racing grew in him ,just dont see ,what the big deal with pure whippets for aworking dog , on a hunting site , i have been unlucky that everone i have saw have been not to good , to short on the leg and exitable at times , there maybe good ones out there ,maybe, i know that ,just all of a sudden its whippet this and that ,when i was mad keen at rabbits in the early ninties , through to 95 a god rabbiting man or two never had awhippet now all of a sudden whippets galore , just the way i see things at times ,

We had them as kids whin and so did a lot of other lads in yorkshire we hunted them on slag heaps canal and river banks as well as woodland and they were as good as owt for scrounging about and never failed to put rabbits or the odd hare in the bag.I myself have noticed their rise in popularity over the last 6 years maybe alot of lurcher lads are returning to the sport they started out just mooching about for the odd rabbit because how things are going thats all any of us will be able to do in the future.atb dell

18"tts hasnt read the rule book

sonnyvul001.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

sonnymooch079.jpg

16" tts often goes to ground if you arent carefull

wintertoday266.jpg

lillyfox003.jpg

not a single spot of Mike Brown stuff in them

what the breeding mate if you don;t mind me asking

the dog is Ch sired and is nearly full Nevedith breeding, takes everything, the bitch is more or less oakbark also takes everything, they will and have done everything solo, but most of the time i get them to do it together now, which if people are honest most of them do with any type of running dog, just when you say that with whippets, most the knockers say its because you need two, be interesting to see how many of these knockers have good single handed lurchers ;-)

I have read alot on whippets on this site and they get alot of bad press off folk on here like they shiver they tear 2 easy .they have bad feet. no stamina. 2 light 2 small .the list goes on.

well heres my whippet no world beater but a good dog 2 1/2 years old he bushes like a terrier at times. hits the ditch on the lanp has run on stubble fields plenty of times has bags of stamina.he hit a dyke 1 nite i thought he was dead only for him 2 pop up with d rabbit in his mouth.he was probly over worked this season with me having no work and all that.and he hasnt had 1 injury yet

feel free 2 leave your thoughts and memories of these game little dogs

pics r allso welcome

nice looking dog atb :thumbs:

ATB MC

post-32721-127048534457_thumb.jpgpost-32721-127048538641_thumb.jpgpost-32721-127048542032.jpg

i have a whippet also but to be truthfull the lurchers i have are better than him but he still puts them in the bag and is a very keen dog,just lacks a bit of brain lol.

he is a good solid dog and never had any trouble with him with stamina,feet or the cold.

ar3.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

rosygoodun.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

22102008.jpg

09102008003.jpg

regards SS

When it came to the whippets vs whippet crosses debate, I was always on the side of the whippet crosses. However, since my brother bought a pure whippet a couple of years ago and is constantly regaling me with tales of how fantastic it is I'm starting to think I may have been wrong. He's been so impressed by her that he's just added a Rabbitrunner whippet to his team too. :thumbs:

• Like 1

im talking about rabbiting , yet to see a good one compared to the old whippet grews ive had and saw , whippets are for summer hunters and rossete hunters , fireside dogs ,you no that youre self mate they are jumped up to make abit money and bred with yet to see agreat allround rabbiting dog in the pure whippet , maybe wrong

mines useless by i know alot that arent

If you need a home wane? ;-)

This is my whippet, who i dont think is pure whippet icon_eek.gif saw both parents, both lovely whippets yet i seem to have got a complete and utter throw back!!! I dont know if she has some sort of throw back gene or if maybe mum got 'had' by something else (although im not sure what she could be crossed with, she is about 19TTS but isnt as delicate as other whippets)

I might do some shows this summer but not sure whether to enter her as a whippet or a Lurcher hmm.gifclapper.gif

What is your opinion on her?

post-27622-127058166414_thumb.jpg

post-27622-127058168442_thumb.jpg

(That is the 1st time she has ever held her ears up like that!!!)

This is my whippet, who i dont think is pure whippet icon_eek.gif saw both parents, both lovely whippets yet i seem to have got a complete and utter throw back!!! I dont know if she has some sort of throw back gene or if maybe mum got 'had' by something else (although im not sure what she could be crossed with, she is about 19TTS but isnt as delicate as other whippets)

I might do some shows this summer but not sure whether to enter her as a whippet or a Lurcher hmm.gifclapper.gif

looks like its got german shepherd in it looking at it side on

looks like its got german shepherd in it looking at it side on

Yes, i agree but she is so small, it is puzzling me icon_eek.gif