showing your lurcher

what is peoples obsession with showing there lurchers at game fairs?

i dont see the point i have my dogs to work not prance round a ring.

so any info on the logic on this would be much appreciated.

sorry if ive offended any one.but this is my point of view.

Edited by hullhunter

totally agree with you.shows do nothing for working dogs only make them prettier and being prettier is no advantage.

Shows are just something to do in the summer months, meet friends have a crack, some people work and show their dogs, some only work them but many dont work them so what, working dog owners move in their own circles, breed from workers or mates workers for what they require, not interested in looks.

I have always had lurchers to work but many years ago I was fortunate to have a beautiful looking good worker so In the summer I showed her with some success, if I won great, if i didnt I enjoyed the day out.

For the past 20 years I have had non show type but still go for the crack, I have made many good friends all over the country, some show people, many workers.

Also if you look back prior to the Hunting Ban more showing people wrote letters, marched and supported financially and otherwise our lurcher work than actual working people, and I dont mean on percentage of show to working owners, many working people did their own thing, ban or no ban.

So live and let live. Theres room for us all and if all the lurchers owners worked their dogs, there would be less game for us . hahaha. Cheers WR.

• Like 3

During the mid 90s i won over 60 championships in 21/2 yrs with a dog that i bred as a worker,just so happens he was also a nice dog.

This dog was the sire and grand sire to all them dogs mentioned in that advert for show dogs in the countyman's a few weeks ago.He was

taking rabbit,hare and fox regularly,single handed during the winter.

Each to their own.

Maybe some people are proud of the time and effort they have put into their dogs, to achieve optimum performance and health . . . . . . and want to show it off? Just a thought. :whistling:

ive put a lot of time into my dog and im realy proud of him in the field and out and when you walk away with reserve champ it makes it all worth while

this is my veiw showing is just a bit of fun in the summer when there is not much eles to do only walk your dog to keep them fit for the next seson so you may as well get out to shows with ur dogs and meet up with friends and family and have a good day and if the dogs win any thing well its something else to be proud of your dog for and it gets the the dogs out as well . ;)

Maybe some people are proud of the time and effort they have put into their dogs, to achieve optimum performance and health . . . . . . and want to show it off? Just a thought. :whistling:

Good point.

I can't understand someone buying a lurcher just to show & not working it but what about owners of rescued lurchers who are generous enough to give the dog a home? Those dogs might have been great workers but retired injured.

Also, I think it's good for the dogs if they get taken out for the day and spend the whole day with their owner off season. Maybe it encourages some owners to take better care of the dog through the off season.

I think shows are good for what they were originally intended - an end of season meeting place for owners of working dogs to spot potential studs, especially in our sport where we tend to work alone. I would never just happen to bump into someone with a decent dog from the other side of the country. Although I can't tell by looking if the dog has the temperament to do the job it was bred for, I can tell if it will be physically capable of doing it.

I think that as long as we don't draw up written standards for crosses/types then the obsessive showers won't turn lurchers into useless freaks like some registered breeds.

i went to kelmarsh today and i was going to put him in working lurcher but not on sheet at this one so the other opstion was rabbiting dog but it was only under 21 inches my dog stands 27 tts i thought all lurchers were rabbiting dogs so why call it a lurcher show not havein a go just wanted your views