woodburner flue

i am putting in a wood burner has anybody got any contacts for 6 inch flue pipe as it is working out about 200 quid just for 10 metres ..local company asked for 750 quid to supply and fit the thing,,to much for me so i am going to try and source it cheap and fit it myself ,,,cheers

just thought i would mention that i think if you fit it yourself you may not then be covered on your house insurance for it, it cost me £1000 to get my woodburner installed but he was a registered fitter and put up a plate with his number etc on it.

you know what its like these days you need a piece of paper for anything and everything :wallbash:

Aye you dont need a flue if your chimney is ok beware though my brother fitted his without checking the brickwork in the loft it had perished and smoke was finding its way into the loft and bedrooms I think you have to be registered to install one building regs I think

If its a new dwelling you will need too have it installed by a registered professional.'A durable notice shall be provided to convey details of the flue, the installer and type of combustion appliance that may be used in conjunction with the flue.'

Edited by Tassa

we have 2 logburners in our place.one is in a fire place and has a top flue which goes straight up the chimney and is plated up.the other is free standing in the kitchen and i paid to have a proper flue straight up threw the roof.i have all the paperwork.if your chimney is fine then should be ok.i had mine checked out first because its not worth the risk especially with kids in the house.they are worth more than £750 quid of anybodys money.

i am putting in a wood burner has anybody got any contacts for 6 inch flue pipe as it is working out about 200 quid just for 10 metres ..local company asked for 750 quid to supply and fit the thing,,to much for me so i am going to try and source it cheap and fit it myself ,,,cheers

if you can get it £20 a metre that is cheap, i work in a builders merchant and i would be selling it for more than that anything up to £40 quid a metre depending on the customer. As for having to be registered whos to say it hasn't been fitted since before you moved in? :whistling::whistling:

If you are in the south wales area pm me and i will give you a fitters phone number!

funny you said 20 quid a metre was cheap as i was also told this ,,another mate said 20 quid a metre stuff was crap and i should be looking at about 30-40 quid a metre for the good stuff that will last being pulled down the chinmney in one piece,,i tell you it ain,t cheap and i feel like going on a fitting coarse to start doing it myself but i need to find out if i need any other heating certs etc!!...buying the burner is the easy part

There are different grades. 904 is the better grade and 316 the cheaper one. As they have double skins I opted for 904 inner and 316 outer. I can't exactly remember what I paid but I think it was something like £26 per/m. It is worth looking in to in detail and will also depend on what you want to burn.

The other problem I found was the regulations are a bit stupid. Most fitters will tell you that you HAVE to have an air brick which in a drafty victorian house is rediculous. The regs also state you need a hearth that will extend 9" from the front of your burner. This is sensible in my opnion having used mine all winter. Sometimes you get a coal roll out on to the floor if you aren't careful. It's also worth getting a decent cowl to stop down drafts and rain getting in.

hi mate, i suggest you get it fitted by a hetas reg fitter you will find a local fitter on there web page, they will supply the required flu ,closure plate,air brick etc.. i have a fireplace business and you would,nt believe how many people i have in with problems when fitted themselves hope this helps jamiew,

A stainless 6inch flue will heat up quicker a draw air much faster, easier lighting and hotter quicker. Also if you burn alot of wood the resin collects on the inside of a chimney which sparks can ignite and you have a chimney fire :icon_eek: . Do it right do it once.

ATB,

PV.

agree with provamint put a log burner in without flue trying to save money did not draw well gasses were cooling in chimney causes more tarring of chimney got aflue installed cost £900 much better burning some of the cheap flues are only goaranteed 10 years atb kenny