Maggie hung up on barbed wire

My saluki pup jumped a fence he has cleared a million times and this was the rtesult of getting caught on the dreaded barbs

2010_0219jumpshots0021.jpg

(sorry about the quality of the pic

Thanks to a bit of advice from Skycat and a couple of mates it's now healed and the fur has grown back

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my pup gt caught on a fence 2 weeks ago she was only 7 months so i was practising her jumping on a fence without barbed wire and she was jumping it easy then she got a bit cocky and tried jumping it from a good distance and her front legs got caught in the squares and she flipped over,,

after that she only had a little limp for about 5 minits i expected her to brake a leg or something

gutted about your knee and my pup has had some tears from fences but he hasnt half learnt from it. when he used to get tired he would climb the fence like spider man and thats when the rips mostly happened i used to leave him to it but thankfully after the third big tear or punctures hes learnt to jump all the time. i know it sounds nastey but think it can do them good to get caught up make them respect the fences little more and make more effort to jump

£190 for half a dozen stitches and tablets the vets really do profit out of this insurance lark. still she is fixed now. but only allowed lead walks and she has to be kept quiet.which is were the real trouble will start she is on the go constantly!!!

Its a bit of a double whammy as we are off to see some new permission on monday which will be about pest control rather than sport but i wanted the little bitch to come along. So the its just the big lad, saluki x and the rifle, i may even take the ferrets and see how open the warrens are not keen on killing milky does but if it means access to good ground what can i do??

thanks again for the comments the knee isnt bad today like i said the morphine takes the edge off the pain and reality :clapper:

yes i agree mate all of mine are insured it costs more to insure them than it does the house the van and the car

i have a dog can jump 5ft gates easy but is always catching herself going over small wire fences it happens very often and her skin is like paper its just what happens when your dog is keen as f**k i would rather she cut herself trying than pulled up and let things away.the best dogs always seem to hurt themselves as they try hard and wont give up.my dog has a lot of whippet and thats my only fault her thin skin :thumbs:

Guest arch1

Did you all know that it was a women who invented barb wire.......And that isn't a April 1st joke either.

Good luck with the knee dude, iv'e had a few ops on mine due to Rugby injuries.

lots of exersises for you :yes:

Barbed wire - my most hated thing :censored: Not a big fan of ban this and ban that, but far as I'm concerned there is NO need for the stuff and I'd love to see it eradicated from the countryside.

Mine slipped in the mud going over a fence the week before Christmas, caught her chest and ripped herself open.

This was the vet's idea of repairing it - he scored the holes in her chest to release pressure on the stitches.

DSCF5965.jpg

And of course beause there was so much bruising and trauma to the area, all the skin died off, all the stitches were rendered useless, and this was what we were left with.

DSCF6188.jpg

Needless to say I abandonded the b@stard vet and sorted her myself. With some good advice from Skycat and the passage of time, this is how she'd healed in the MIDDLE OF MARCH

DSCF6784.jpg

As of now, the wound is finally completely closed, but only over the last two weeks.

I don't regret at all teaching my dogs to jump. But that injury cost me a bomb, and cost her an awful lot of pain and suffering.

Edited by lurchergrrl

my'n and a pals pup wasnt even jumping and manage to get court up in some barb wire just last week running near a fence and the :censored: stuf was rolled up only my pup got hurt big gash down front leg :doh: the blasted stuff shud be band. that last pic on hear maid me feel sick and very angry at the same time. glad she healed so well and hope the knee heals well 2

Add me to the list

Sal bitch on a run caught a barb....no damage thank God

well except to me freeing her :icon_eek:

worst touch i've ever got was liftin up a paling post with wire wrapped round it, it was one of the thick corner posts too. It slipped and I went to catch it, barb of about 3/4" went the whole way in to the knuckle of my thumb, was stiff for weeks. (not like that :D )

lurcher girl that would turn yer stomach looking at that wound, poor dog i know its expensive, maggie bust her stitches because in theory it sounds ok to lead walk them but just letting her out in the garden was a nightmare she hammers round it like an assault course. (Its a big back garden on different levels)

She is fine now and has been flying around hammering the big saluki x this morning she really has found her gears.

As an aside one of the farmers i know is working to remove all barbed wire from his land and he is a hill sheep farmer which is great for me as i tend to get the crotch of my pants snagged trying to step over fences and with a dodgy leg and a worse back trying to free myself is hysterical for other people watching!!

So glad that healed OK Lurchergrrl: I've never seen anything as bad as that in my life, and never seen a vet do as many tension sutures either, though admittedly my dogs haven't been quite that bad. I wonder how much experience that vet had! Horrible wound that, and not one I'd want to put in the book: just too much really, shame though as it would have shown just what a dog can recover from given the right sort of care and enough time.