Working lurchers PETS or TOOLS of your trade??

dogs live between 10 and 15 years are you going to keep them all til they die of natual if so you are going to end up with a lot of dogs

If a dog grafts all its life for you then you should show it some respect and let it live the rest of its life to the best standard you can offer it!! Not end its life because your kennel is to full!

I would say it depends on how much you do with the dog, what your expectations of the dog are and if you get on with the dog or not.

fair point, had alot of lurchers over the years, only kept one till she died of old age.The others never made old bones, most got hurt working :cry: . So mine are workers 1st, pet 2nd. If you think about it, when lurchers were 1st (created)they were kept to put food on the table, and if they (didnt) do that they (werent)kept :hmm:

I would say it depends on how much you do with the dog, what your expectations of the dog are and if you get on with the dog or not.

fair point, had alot of lurchers over the years, only kept one till she died of old age.The others never made old bones, most got hurt working :cry: . So mine are workers 1st, pet 2nd. If you think about it, when lurchers were 1st (created)they were kept to put food on the table, and if they (didnt) do that they (werent)kept :hmm:

mine are both really and bird have you heard???

i agree with the others,the lurchur is the ultimate pet! very stedy infact i couldnt think of a more generally stedy dog.this is a generalisation but they mostly just mooch at the side of you on walks even when the other dogs is running around and been daft.i got a young dog that is particually head strong but is maturing nicely and he is still steadier than any of my spanials or my dads spanials,im going on now!lol both.answer for me is companion!

you havnt met my dog mate, hell run the full lenght of the field to go and play with another dog hes just all play and hypo atm

haha i know what you mean.my lad did that when i 1st got him but i sorted his recall out now,it funny how many people scream when they got a 25inch bullx charging towards them flat out waggin there tail and wanting to play with some unsuspecting yorkshire terrier.lol.im sure he will grow out of it mate.atb

a well bred lurcher is a good tool , and deserve to be fed and looked after and once he gets older a good pet home ,and if not painlessly put to sleep ,not all lurchers ive had were pets to much prey drive and were not suitable to be pet homed