Pellet types and weight. What to use??

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, mate.

Accupel's are a great pellet, if your gun likes them. A very good all rounder and tend to work very well in a wide variety of guns.

I've had very good results useing Loguns (16 grains) in my AA410c, they fly very well and 'cos they've a better ballistc performance than a conventional waisted pellet, they don't drop as much at range as their weight may sugest.

Cheers.

PS.. Not splitting hairs but Bisley Mags started life as H and N Baracudas and came onto the market in the early 80's, a good few years before PCP's were sold. Yes, they do work best in pre-charge and pump-ups but they were first made for the U.S.Of Overlord.A. and other markets with a higher than ours power limit.

Edited by andyfr1968

Thanks for your reply's guys and for those who wish to start the "I think he's turned his rifle up" comments just keep them to yourself. I have my FAC an a .22 LR and a .17hmr that covers the longer range shots.

Right with that out the way... The reason i ask is that i have a crow problem. Mainly around the farm buildings where the crows are coming into the sheds and ripping bags and taking the eyes from the small lambs. I have found even head shots with my Accupels are not taking them down. So i wanted to try out a slightly heavier pellet at close range to see if it would do the job better.

My conclusion to this was i am going to try the Logun Penetrators 16g.

Thanks for every ones feedback

if you have your fac then whats the problem with my comment about your guns power? i put it because a friend of mine had problems with lighter pellets in his fac air rifle. if head shots arent taking the crows down then i would suggest that you chrono your gun and check its power, or get closer to your quarry. pellets choice is not going to make that much difference unless your accuracy is being affected by your pellets (wich i'm assuming its not as your hitting head shots). i use field target trophy in my fn19, which are 15.1 grain and they knock crows over easily. i dare say if i use a heavier or lighter pellet, a well placed shot will have the same effect.

chrono your gun using different pellets and get some samples to see which group best at your higher ft/lb.

try this site for sample packs:

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/acatalog/Pellpax_SAmple_Packs.html

if you still want me to keep my comments to myself then by all means, i will do :thumbs:

Hi Sax.

Have you chronoed the rifle ?

16s may take you over the 12ftlb.......just a thought.

Bill.

I thought that all air rifles has to be sub 12ft/lb with the heaviest of pellet available?

I know of a case where somebody local to me was using 14s in an air rifle putting out 11.8ft/lb, and he got pulled. The police checked the rifle on their calibrated kit with 16s and it went to 12.6ft/lb, he was done. The police said that maybe he was set for 14s but the fact is he COULD have had 16s.

NO NO NO!!!!! if you dont have an FAC and that rifle is not listed on it.. and its over 12ftp than u get your balls handed to you..

There is nothing to say if the police want to test your rifle they will use what ever pellets they happen to have with in reason. no tlike they will use a 20+ grain for sub 12

but 15.4-16grain then sure why not..

There is no reason that you should want to use anything over 15 really.. 14.3 grain pellet will have flatter curve than 16 go with out saying. and you wont really see much chnage in how they are affected by they wind, ever rifle is diff even if they are the same make

there are millions of posts just like this one all over the fourm. just try diff types pick what u like and stick to it..

for example, my s410 sub 12 my son has loves JSB dome ( same pellet at daystate .22 FX.22 ) but cost less and think there 15g

My FAC s410 34.7 ftp loves i mean LOVES! JSB also.. same 15g flat as a witchs tit, hit at 120-150 yards np its all down to what your rifle likes.. i dont see a need or the point in using anything over 15g maybe 16 if it was a very windy day but then i would not use an air rifle lol..

i say stick to what your happy with. no need to use 16g+ in 12ftp and keep your sub 12's to 11.5/11.8 and you should be ok.. unless your giving the police a reason why they should stop you or question you there is no problem.... just think SAFE! BE SAFE! and keep them around you SAFE! if you cant do that.. dont by a gun of any kind..

Guns are TOOLS! not TOYS!

Thanks for your reply's guys and for those who wish to start the "I think he's turned his rifle up" comments just keep them to yourself. I have my FAC an a .22 LR and a .17hmr that covers the longer range shots.

Right with that out the way... The reason i ask is that i have a crow problem. Mainly around the farm buildings where the crows are coming into the sheds and ripping bags and taking the eyes from the small lambs. I have found even head shots with my Accupels are not taking them down. So i wanted to try out a slightly heavier pellet at close range to see if it would do the job better.

My conclusion to this was i am going to try the Logun Penetrators 16g.

Thanks for every ones feedback

if u have your fac then you really should know what am about to say.. your comment about the head shots.. ok Sub 12ftp or even FAC air rifles dont have the force on impact to defourm and brake up the pellet ie thats why they go though rabbits skulls.. so a crows skull is not going to do anything to defourm that pellet. using a heavier pellet will make no diff other than make your pellets drop sooner and faster if anything will defourm less..

unlike your .22 rounds with will be Expanding for shooting animals as its not legal to use solid round to shoot animals ( solid for target only )

.22 or 17hmr not only has a crapload more force but the round are made to brake up on impact.

a better shot for taking crows would be to aim for the heart cavity at the base of the neck around the sholder area/chest you aim for the head u have a kill zone of a pin head the heart area around 2 pence coin.

hope this helps and not really a good idea to make comment like

"I think he's turned his rifle up" comments just keep them to yourself

when asking for advise :p

hope you sort your crows out.. i know how you feel about them pecking the lambs eyes .. i had the same problem last year.. but my gold pigeon sort that out for me :p

I guys,

Please don’t everyone automatically think that putting a heavier weight pellet into an air rifle will increase the power of the rifle automatically or that putting a lighter pellet into your rifle will lower the power.

Some weeks ago I did some chronoing with my HW100KT PCP.

First I used FX 16 grain pellets which are brilliant pellets and give me a very high power reading, well up in the 11s.

After I finished testing the FX I decided to try 14.3 grain Accupels thinking that the power would drop drastically and give me a much lower power reading than the FX.

When I tried the lighter grain Accupels they gave me a much better power reading and better consistency than the heavier weight FX did.

Then about 5 weeks ago I did some video footage of me chronoing my Air Arms Pro Sport before posting it on YouTube (search for Zinaroon) and you will be able to watch it if your interested.

I tried 14.3 grain Accupel which only gave me 10 FP ish so I tried FX 16 grain.

This time the FX 16 grain pellets gave me almost 11.8 FP power and great consistency better than the Accupells.

What this proved to me is that pellet fit and ballistic coefficientcy has a lot to do with what will happen to the power of your rifle when you either up the pellet weight or drop it.

Si.

Ok... some good feedback, thanks for that

I do apologise to jenski87 if i offended, but i have seen it too many times in a forum that someone jumps on the wagon to ruin an honest topic. I wanted to nip it in the bud a.s.a.p. I can see from jenski87 reply that he is not a topic destroyer, and i thank him for his helpful information thumbs.gif

Now another reason this all stated was i found that the accupels i have been using for many years have been great with all rifles that i have owned. I have never tried any other pellets due to very successful results. But when using them in my Webley Raider i found that the pellet when fired was to be found "hooking" to the left. and i was unable to put pellet on pellet as can be done with my super ten. I've cleaned the barrel, changed the scope, stripped, cleaned and checked for and loose or bent barrels. I have run out of ideas. So this as just another angle i wanted to try. Logun penetrators have been delivered so i'll keep everyone posted.

different guns will suit different pellets mate. so whats good in one gun could be rubbish in another, anyway, hope you sort it and get some pictures up when u do :thumbs:

The other half just keeps banging on about "You have 2 shotguns and your firearms why would you want to bother with those air rifles....." doh.gif

She's got to go!

I love my air rifles. Every rifle or shotgun i own has its own little job around the farm... So they all must work spot on and it bugs me when things aren't going right!

Sorry slightly off topic...... blink.gif

So i think i'll give a day to the air rifles and have a play with a few different types of pellet. I'm working over the next two days and the weather has just taken a turn for the worst so i'll keep everyone posted in a few days.

yes.gif

Edited by saxosportsaxo
  • 3 weeks later...

rabbit magnums are very heavy i think near 30 grain but i have shot them and found the accuracy absolutely awful plus with a pellet that heavy range is cut dramatically.logun penetrators are far far more accurate and come in at 20.5 grain i use them out to 50 yards with great success. hope that helps