Two nice Muntjac to start the day...

A stunning morning - absolutely still, no frost and a good high cloud cover. The wood came to life with pheasants making the kind of confident noise they only make once the season has finished. An old dog fox appeared first, but as today it was important to get a deer for demonstrating carcass handling in a DSC1 course(not by me, i only did my DSC1 last year), he lived to see another day. The first Muntjac fell soon after day-break, the second a few minutes later.

A perfect morning, especially after a bacon roll and a cup of tea.

post-32993-126787967357_thumb.jpg

Edited by benhunter

A stunning morning - absolutely still, no frost and a good high cloud cover. The wood came to life with pheasants making the kind of confident noise they only make once the season has finished. An old dog fox appeared first, but as today it was important to get a deer for demonstrating carcass handling in a DSC1 course(not by me, i only did my DSC1 last year), he lived to see another day. The first Muntjac fell soon after day-break, the second a few minutes later.

A perfect morning, especially after a bacon roll and a cup of tea.

post-32993-126787967357_thumb.jpg

Well done BH, i wish I could get to grips with the munties round here. I see the slots but only very occassionally do i ever get a glimpse, and it is only a glimpse, of a muntie.

ft

Edited by flytie

Thanks Flytie,

There were two of us shooting this morning (I should have said before we got one each!) and we were talking about Muntjac on the way home and how you can sit in a high seat as many times as you like watching the place where you 'know' they are going to appear, and see nothing, but turn around and there will be one behind you - I am not saying that Muntjac have magic powers and materialise out of thin air - OK, maybe I am...

Muntjac are great animals, full of attitude, but a high seat is definitely the way to go. Not that I can give much advice - I am fairly new to all this, but where I shoot we see more Muntjac than anything else - and being an 'eat what I shoot' kind of guy, the venison is fantastic. Back straps rolled in pepper and seared in a hot pan, 8 mins in the oven, red-currant jelly, Yum!

B

"

Do you write in the countrysmans weekly....." A BACON ROLL AND A CUP OF TEA" no hip flask to warm your perished hands, lol... good shoting pal.

"

cheers - I'm not a writer, but i wish i could write about it properly - its just something of a tradition with us, and it was the perfect end to a perfect morning - you know that feeling as you drive home - where the world suddenly feels right? it's the feeling that is impossible to describe to someone who doesn't shoot, so the best thing to do is kick back with a cup of tea and enjoy the moment before saturday morning kids football brings reality crashing back in. Besides - 8am is just a tiny bit too early for the hip flask for me...!

• 2 weeks later...