what scope

just after a bit of advice got a nico stirling on my 22250 wont hold zero any one recomend a good one just shoot small stuff with it

Hi:

You may have a non-scope related problem.

I can't tell without knowing a bit more about your setup. Firstly what rifle, how old, what ammo, new or 'very' used?

The 22.250 is a hot round and can burn out a barrel in 2,000 rounds, and a typical 'shot out' example may well group up

nicely with 2>4 shots, then go right off the paper when it gets hot, does this sound familiar?

Anyway as a general comment, Nikko Stirling scopes are only OK, not rubbish but not that good for a centrefire rifle either.

Sorry to run this past you but you need to spend at least £500 on a centrefire scope, airgun scopes are just not built to withstand

centrefire use, and this may be your problem?

Look at it this way can you afford to shoot ammo at £1.20 a shot, then miss all over the place because you have a 'crap' mickey mouse

scope on the top? No I don't think so!

just after a bit of advice got a nico stirling on my 22250 wont hold zero any one recomend a good one just shoot small stuff with it

Hi:

I can't tell without knowing a bit more about your setup. Firstly what rifle, how old, what ammo, new or 'very' used?

The 22.250 is a hot round and can burn out a barrel in 2,000 rounds, and a typical 'shot out' example may well group up

nicely with 2>4 shots, then go right off the paper when it gets hot, does this sound familiar?

Anyway as a general comment, Nikko Stirling scopes are only OK, not rubbish but not that good for a centrefire rifle either.

Sorry to run this past you but you need to spend at least £500 on a centrefire scope, airgun scopes are just not built to withstand

Look at it this way can you afford to shoot ammo at £1.20 a shot, then miss all over the place because you have a 'crap' mickey mouse

You really are going to hurt his feelings!! :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Not quite sure I'd go with this £500 business, I've only ever had one, just possibly 2 scopes, more than that...all 3 of these added together don't make it to £500.

Yep, I'm a tight git, but they tend to all work, as a number of members of this site will confirm!!! They also all produce V Bulls for me at 600 yards!!

No arguement that it's good advice to spend as much as you can on a scope just the same!

ATB!!

post-10759-126739211704_thumb.jpg

Hi:

Hi All

Don't some people talk shite about scopes are you telling me a leupold or a nikon or a meopta or indeed a schmidt & bender 6x42 some of which you can get for well under £500 are no good for centrefire rifles. I agree some cheap scopes are worse than useless but not all of them, i have a zos which i got from china it cost me £12 i bought it just to have a look really, it is a 3-12x56 30mm tube with illuminated reticule and i had it on my 243 for 2 years and shot plenty of deer and foxes with it and it never lost zero and in low light for that sort of money it is superb. I also have a zeiss and a schmidt&bender so not all the cheap stuff is crap

Geordie

Edited by geordieh

I have just bougt a Hawke nite eye 6-24x50 on a reccomendation from someone on here who has one on his .243 :gunsmilie:

but i have spent good money on leoupold mounts!

you dont have to spend £500 that is total sh*te!i know a guy who has been shooting foxes and deer with a remington .243 for years with a £150 bushnell scope and never had to worry about zero! :boxing:

check all your mounts are tight and go back to basics before you commit to spending the cash! :thumbs:

its not so much if the cheaper scopes wont take it. i think, what the other guy was trying to get at is. you want to spend a good amount of money if you want very good optics. of course in the day isnt so bad. but at night under lamp some dont cut it

Hi:

Not quite sure I'd go with this £500 business, I've only ever had one, just possibly 2 scopes, more than that...all 3 of these added together don't make it to £500.

Yep, I'm a tight git, but they tend to all work, as a number of members of this site will confirm!!! They also all produce V Bulls for me at 600 yards!!

No arguement that it's good advice to spend as much as you can on a scope just the same!

ATB!!

Hi, just curious as to what make are those scopes you're using Deker?

Ps. Nice armoury you have there :)

Hi:

ATB!!

Hi, just curious as to what make are those scopes you're using Deker?

Ps. Nice armoury you have there :)

I should be embarrassed to say it but I'm not, I speak as I find, these are ALL JSR own brand.

Optically they are very good, at night as well, build quality is not the best and the Allen key adjustment on the turrets drives me mad, but at the moment they all work.

If, as or when they all start falling apart I will let everyone know! :thumbs:

Hi All. Try R MacLoed, Tain, Scotland who have a website and do mail orders. They have a an invesntory of ex-demo scopes from leading manufacturers at excellent prices, sometimes up to 40% off RRP. I got a fantastic deal on a swarovski a couple of months back - pity the incompetent imbeciles at my gun shop/importer screwed up the order on my rifle so I have to wait for that to be sorted out before I can put the scope on it.

Anyway the customer service from Macloeds is superb.