Military shotguns

I usually stay clear of talk about shotguns because I just plain don't know much about them. However, I was intrigued to discover that the British Army have now adopted a shotgun as a frontline infantry weapon in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's a militarised version of the Benelli M4, with 8+1 capacity. Apparently the guys out there love 'em loaded with SSG cos they can put a LOT of lead in the air in a very short time.

Any comments from you smooth-bore guys?

Ric

I think the military have used shotguns for many years in certain situations. It may have started in the 50's when there was trouble in Malaya. I have read that the leading man in a jungle patrol, was regularly equipped with a open choked,Browning auto.

I usually stay clear of talk about shotguns because I just plain don't know much about them. However, I was intrigued to discover that the British Army have now adopted a shotgun as a frontline infantry weapon in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's a militarised version of the Benelli M4, with 8+1 capacity. Apparently the guys out there love 'em loaded with SSG cos they can put a LOT of lead in the air in a very short time.

Any comments from you smooth-bore guys?

Ric

my first 12 bore was ex military police issue ,it was a Greener GP single shot martini action,

Yeah! Did you know that the American slang for a shotgun is a "Greener" - named after the British shotguns? Apparently the last time the British Army used shotguns was, as said, in Malaya. The American forces have used shotguns for many years as combat weapons. During WWI they used the "Trench Broom", a 10 bore pump action. What intrigues me here is that the British Army have gone from not using shotguns at all to using these long mag semis, while the US forces are still using 5 round pump actions. Google "British Army Shotgun" and have a look!

Ric

i think the army have always used them for that bud(shooting off the hinges and not the locks).

they use non "lethal baton" guns too( the heavy loads for doors the lighter loads for dispersal).

handy bits of kit both :thumbs:

when i was in the mob we had shot guns in the jungle if i recall right they were 8 shot handy bit of kit in the right hands, have you seen the yanks with the AA12 thats some bit of kit i think its on youtube even fires armour piecining rounds

Edited by TOPPER

I used to know a Hell's Angel who used a sawn-off loaded with solid slugs to take out the door of an Outlaws HQ.

Naughty or what!

Ric

Funny enough Ric, I used to know of an Outlaw HQ with shotgun holes in the front door... :hmm::laugh:

Have you see the 12g auto which has a large old-skool 'Tommy gun' style mag attachment. Anything from solids, ssg to exploding ordnance with pop-out stabalising fins :icon_eek:

Wonder what you'd put on the 'reason why' form for that :clapper:

Have you see the 12g auto which has a large old-skool 'Tommy gun' style mag attachment. Anything from solids, ssg to exploding ordnance with pop-out stabalising fins :icon_eek:

Wonder what you'd put on the 'reason why' form for that :clapper:

Yup. 20 round drum, full auto. FFS! You'd have to convince your FEO that the corvids were wearing combat armour and shooting back! Imagine the headlines. "Pest control agent drowned under 15 tons of bird shit. Crow spokesbird claims self-defence"

I think I'd better go and take my medication.

Ric