a good first lurcher???

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With my first lurcher being a bitza thats the route i would go down just look for a litter thats been bred worker to worker and if you want a smaller cross maybe a bitza with beddy.whippet or collie that can throw pups under wat we used to call the ideal measurement 24 inch to the shoulder.atb dell

[/quote

exactly what ive got for my first, 21 n half/22 tts. clever loyal, good on lamp, and game for fox/deer too. cant fualt her for a first lurcher, minimal training is required i just seem to talk to her like she a person and she just does what i want, in a fashion. :thumbs:

post-31664-126634695597_thumb.jpg

post-31664-1266346967_thumb.jpg

With my first lurcher being a bitza thats the route i would go down just look for a litter thats been bred worker to worker and if you want a smaller cross maybe a bitza with beddy.whippet or collie that can throw pups under wat we used to call the ideal measurement 24 inch to the shoulder.atb dell

[/quote

exactly what ive got for my first, 21 n half/22 tts. clever loyal, good on lamp, and game for fox/deer too. cant fualt her for a first lurcher, minimal training is required i just seem to talk to her like she a person and she just does what i want, in a fashion. thumbs.gif

Shes a tidy looking bitch adamthumbs.gif I rate this cross highly and would not esitate having another one.atvb dell

cheers for all the advice i would be interested in a pup of you maybe mate do the bed/whippets all have rough coats or can you get smooth think this might be the choice for me :)

im breeding her to a 1st x beddy grey 23", both parents excellent workers. and both are rough coated, i dont exactly kno if their will be any smooth coated pups? but should make great rabbiting dogs none the less, thanks chris!

nice that adamb20 hav ya had much with it atb

she only 19 month, this is her first season but had a fair bit of game, epecialy on lamp. shes had hundereds of rabbits, id say a good 30 hares on lamp. 2 day time (doubled up though). shes had experience with two fox, one big dog in november, which played dead and escaped, ended up fighting it in a flooded river, and helped my mates terrior with a vixen december time. hard to get her experience on them around here they all get shot. she had experience with roe with my mates bull cross and done well. she in season at the minute so that will be it. looking forward to next season, but also got a a pup to train durig summer :thumbs:

does any body have any collie cross greys or whippets for sale or no anybody

IMO a collie whippet will be limited to what it can do, with exceptions of course as with all crosses. If your hearts set on collie blood then either a collie grey (if its half cross you want) or a collie/grey x whippet might be a good choice, bring down the size as you seem to want but still be quik enough to do everything a collie whippet can and more. I agree with what has been said, quarter collie is plenty, other three quarters can be tailored to what you want size wise. Personally though I would just get a pup from 2 lurchers doing what you want your pup to do...

Edited by Born Hunter