Saturday 13th February

Allez le Bleu, apparently.

Well, the weather is supposed to turn tomorrow night. Back to the old fun and games of our wonderfully "mild" climate for the next week, which the scientographers tell us will be "changeable", right. Time to go look for a fox then isn't it.

It's a cold but beautiful night out. I'm on the move just as dusk is leaving us alone with the dark starry night. Although I see signs of fox on one part of Dads land, I've not seen any eyes there. Perhaps an early morning visitor. As I've said before, I like my bed just well enough so as those foxes don't bother my beauty sleep.

I'm practically becalmed in the valley. Thinking about how well developed the foxes hearing is it's a little eerie how much I can hear, trudging through the semi frozen fields I probably sound like the proverbial bull in a china shop. There are no eyes to be seen and after a time just waiting for a fox to wander by I decide to put the caller to good use.

I run through a few spells of having the rabbit distress playing, then waiting ten minutes or so in silence. No results so far, and I'm considering moving down the valley and closer to the river to prospect for charlies there. Giving the caller one last shot I catch the brilliant reflection of a foxes eyes in the lamps beam.

We're in business.

As I'm looking forward at the fox, the tiny bit of a breeze is coming from behind, crossing me to the left. On a breezy night, this position would be a waste of my time because downhill to my left is a tidy gully that would hide an elephant happily, not to mention my fox.

My gamble works though, as the fox trots straight in towards me. There mustn't be enough of a breeze for him to try and wind me. Again, two fences are between me and the fox. So at one hundred fifty five yards he gets bowled over by a forty grain Vmax. Pretty big fox I must say.

fox15martinbuckdog155yards.jpg

I did see another fox at the bottom of the valley later on. But, he seemed to have experience of lamps before and only settled near to some houses. I left him off for another night.

• Like 1

Well Done John :thumbs: was out myself the other night and got two[dog's] where i had put 3 gralloch's of Roe Deer on the Sat, they were feeding well :whistling: after i shot them, 1 @ 60yard's the other running away approx 120yard's it made the big mistake stopped and looked back :thumbdown: after that went into the glove box got the camera out batteries flat :icon_redface: just put them in the midden for tonight, will go out for a few hour's and have a seat in the 4x4 at my usual spot for Charlie 100yard's from the midden :whistling: and batteries all charged up :D