Ferret Biteing

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allow the jill time to settle in... she will come round in time... if she is entire it could also be hormonal changes

Roughing up. nose flicking all very negative approaches & onion is a toxin to ferrets ....... i thought it was 2010 pretty crap advice to be handing out

The worse thing you can do is be jumpy when picking her/them up, When mine was doing this, every time he turned her head to have a go i put him in other hand, and if he/she does bite you try to keep hold of them rather than putting them straight down, easier said than done!

As said handle as much as possible, also i used to feed mine bits whilst in my hands, they get used to you,

Just my experiance with it :thumbs:

you can try the ferretone route,or just use a bit of olive oil then every day when you go to the hutches to see them have the bottle of ferretone ready ,open the cage & put some on the back of your hand & let them all lick it off, when they are interested in the ferretone ( 10 seconds & they will be hooked)

pick the ferret up which is nipping

( put others back in cage !! )& pour some ferretone on your hand again,

i usually sit down & free the other hand up & stroke the ferret, if it tries to nip you try not to put the ferret down , as this will only enforce the fact that " biting gets me released " i have just took 2 more jills on & 1 was a bit nippy i used this method & she doesnt try to nip now, there could also be something else & thats why it is trying to nip ?

the gag reflex ( sticking fingers in mouth when biting ), only works when they are kits, if you did this to a adult ferret you probably lose a finger, let her settle in she will come round, hope you get it sorted, regards john

Edited by johnmac666

You will get told loads of different things. From personal experiance I have found offering them your knuckle to bite, if they bite it push it back into there throat, it is really effecting, not to hard obviously just enough to make them gagg and want it out there mouth. It is abit scarey at first lol but its pretty easy.

edited to say I have used this on adults as long as your quick and bold with it, in and out then it can be done well.

Edited by Hob&Jill

Let her settle in a bit mate and just feed and handle. I have bought around some shockers by doing nothing by that. I find it usually takes new ferrets a week or so to settle in and become confident, during this time I try to keep them nice and quiet, don't let a lot of people handle them. It's a time for them to get used to their new place in the world. Once they know where they stand and that they aren't going to go hungry or be hurt even nasty biters are more receptive to being handled.

Give it a feed on something fresh and bloody (pigeon or rabbit) but don't give it access to any water , after an hour or so take her out of the hutch and give her a drink from a bowl , whilst she's drinking keep picking her up and stroking her letting her crawl through your hands to get back to the bowl after a few sessions of this she'll stop biting and with constant handling will quieten down, it's always worked for me even with feral ferrets we've found when we've been out.....ATB mate

you can try the ferretone route,or just use a bit of olive oil then every day when you go to the hutches to see them have the bottle of ferretone ready ,open the cage & put some on the back of your hand & let them all lick it off, when they are interested in the ferretone ( 10 seconds & they will be hooked)

pick the ferret up which is nipping

( put others back in cage !! )& pour some ferretone on your hand again,

i usually sit down & free the other hand up & stroke the ferret, if it tries to nip you try not to put the ferret down , as this will only enforce the fact that " biting gets me released " i have just took 2 more jills on & 1 was a bit nippy i used this method & she doesnt try to nip now, there could also be something else & thats why it is trying to nip ?

the gag reflex ( sticking fingers in mouth when biting ), only works when they are kits, if you did this to a adult ferret you probably lose a finger, let her settle in she will come round, hope you get it sorted, regards john

hi mate, just time and handling thats all thats needed :thumbs:

good luck with them and i hope they turn out fine :thumbs:

Try to handle her when she is sleepy and well fed.Everything slow and light.Show her your hand at regular intervals.Try not to snatch back.You could use a glove to start with - i did,but discard it once the ferret has gained some faith in you.

She doesn't sound like a physcho just a bit timid

GOOD LUCK :thumbs:

Try to handle her when she is sleepy and well fed.Everything slow and light.Show her your hand at regular intervals.Try not to snatch back.You could use a glove to start with - i did,but discard it once the ferret has gained some faith in you.

Thanks for all the advice guys, she settling in quite well, i have been using one glove still but feeding her with bare hand while holding her.She still isn't ok to handle without one glove but she's come along way. I think most of the bites are playfull but they still draw blood...Is this playfull she doesnt exactly hang on. The only time she has properly went for me was on the first day and she hung on to the inside of my finger since then she has bitten but no way near as hard, could this still be aggresivness? or just being a bit boystruss not knowing how hard she is alowed to bite?

hi mate, just use cloves mate, that way you feel confident and she will get used to being handle and shown that biting doesn't work.i am going through very similar thing as regards there confidants was low :thumbdown: there not biting but i still don't trust them because they are so quick and i don't know how they react to fed times and play time, walks ect, just yet , there were not kept in the best of conditions and not fed regularly to :no: but they are in better hands now :thumbs: the time you spend with her will pay off in the end mate, get her out and let her play around the garden as well, they love being active. good luck and keep us up dated with her progress mate :thumbs: mike

Thanks for all the advice guys, she settling in quite well, i have been using one glove still but feeding her with bare hand while holding her.She still isn't ok to handle without one glove but she's come along way. I think most of the bites are playfull but they still draw blood...Is this playfull she doesnt exactly hang on. The only time she has properly went for me was on the first day and she hung on to the inside of my finger since then she has bitten but no way near as hard, could this still be aggresivness? or just being a bit boystruss not knowing how hard she is alowed to bite?

Some do just play a little harder than others. My jill is good as gold and never drawn blood but when she gets in a funny mood she runs about the house chattering and jumping on everything, including my feet. She grabs my sock in her teeth and rags it like a terrier! The one you have just sounds like shes still a bit unsure of what the deal is.

If you have a place thats not too big and secure, get her out, sit on the floor and place a bit of pipe, your wellie, her box or anything to play with next to you, let her have a run about and explore and just get used to you being about. Talk to her in a calm voice and place your hands near her head when shes exploring so she runs over them and sniffs about them. Definatly try some ferretone here - it works wonders. As she gets used to your hand, pick her up and place her on your lap, keep letting her lick the ferretone off your fingers whilst runnig your other hand over her body. This way she gets used to being around your body and hands and knows she wont ever be in any danger.

I do this with mine everyday initially to get them used to being around my feet when out and being picked up / put down and having nets laid around them etc Now as soon as out their straight to my feet and up my leg!

ATB

Jai.

It'll be worth it in the end!