earthwork

Everybody has different views when it comes to working terriers, at the end of the day you've go to get to your quarry but dogs may do this in different ways, either a bayer or a stayer. I am new to terrier work and just got my first terrier, i've been taken on a few digs with an experienced lad and shown the basics. However the only dog i've seen graft does a bit of both it vocal and at the same time strong enough to hold and due to this can take a bit of poke. From your own experience which style dog would you prefer, or does it differ on type of earth i.e. ground make up, depth etc. It would be good to hear what others have to say and maybe i will learn from this, pics welcome. Cheers Rye

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idealy i'd like a terrier that can hold its quarry using its voice but have the substance and inteligence to hold firm should it need to, hopefully avoiding injury and being able to work on a regular basis without a layoff due to injuries................

Everybody has different views when it comes to working terriers, at the end of the day you've go to get to your quarry but dogs may do this in different ways, either a bayer or a stayer. I am new to terrier work and just got my first terrier, i've been taken on a few digs with an experienced lad and shown the basics. However the only dog i've seen graft does a bit of both it vocal and at the same time strong enough to hold and due to this can take a bit of poke. From your own experience which style dog would you prefer, or does it differ on type of earth i.e. ground make up, depth etc. It would be good to hear what others have to say and maybe i will learn from this, pics welcome. Cheers Rye

the dog that your talking about :whistling:

post-46115-126591833163_thumb.jpg

Why differenciate between a bayer and a stayer. They are one and the same in most lads kennels or they go .BUT,a bayer is nothing without a desire to keep the quarry still til dug to and this requires a bit of stubborn hardness.In my experience ,a pure bayer is slightly afraid of its quarry and is often pushed back by aggressive lunges,sometimes walked over and very ofen results in another hole dug. The ideal terrier for me is one that is not afraid to tackle,hold and will stand its ground when faced with the worst scenario.The reason terrier bitches are put to hard dogs is to impart some of this and maybe level it out a bit .Hard dogs have a place but thats another story .

i have a bitch here in my kennels that each time you put her to ground you never know how she going to work ,sometimes she,ll mix hard but work her fox and sometimes she,s suicidal .she,s 6 year old and knows her game ,think a lot depends on the fox too weather he,s up for a good fight or not if he,s not she,s in and locked on if its a frisky one she tends to wear it down first and then steams it ,but she definatly knows her job and thats the main thing

Idealy i'd like a terrier that can hold its quarry using its voice but have the substance and inteligence to hold firm should it need to, hopefully avoiding injury and being able to work on a regular basis without a layoff due to injuries................

To be fair i like a bit of both some hard some soft,dont get me wrong about the soft bit if it comes away from quarry its goodnight :gunsmilie: !

Top advice is spot on though,sometimes they are hard to find!

tdjnr here, in my opinon, alot can depend on the spots that u r going to work the dog in, if u r working a hard(mute) terrier,then i would say keep them to shallow places n see hw u go..if the style of the dog is mix,bay,start shallow n work them up to bigger spots (read the dog), an out an out bayer, ne were that u can get to him , within reason... my choice is the mix/bay... the most important thing that i think makes a complete earthdog, is that they stay..wat ever the style..

1 THING YOUR'E WELL WRONG ABOUT IS GETTING YOUR QUARRY, No1 PRIORITY IS GETTING THE DOG,SAFETY OF THE TYKE COMES BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE. THE QUARRY COMES 2ND. JMO.