.22lr ans .17HMR on first FAC?

Cheers for the help fellas,

Spoke to the FEO today, what an awesome chap! i took more time than i maybe should have to chat, but he was very, very helpful.

He advised to put 22lr and 17HMR no problem (with mods). He also stated that there is no legal min calibre for shooting fox? therefore either the .22 or 17HMR would be fine (range permitting) - but said i was making the right choise for selecting the 17HMR for fox purposes.

Sound right guys?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

your have to get a bigger cabinet then. he wont grant you them inless you have the right size cabinet to keep them all in

Posted Images

rookie hunter (manchester) what area are you from if you dont mind saying , and regarding the .17 hmr for fox thing on your ticket, i have a 17 on mine but do not have it stated for fox how does that work have renewed once and also sent back for a mistake on my renewal (their fault) and my seventeen is still on , ihave just sent ticket of again for a variation we will see what happens :wallbash:

There are two arguments here. No rimfire is really suited "for the purpose of" killing fox. You should ask for your rimfires for the purpose of killing small pests, and "opportunistic" fox. So if charley pops up 50 yards away you put a 40gr sub in his head and he falls down. For serious fox control you need a .22cf. Failing that, I'd go for WMR. But that's me!

Ric

Cheers for the help fellas,

Spoke to the FEO today, what an awesome chap! i took more time than i maybe should have to chat, but he was very, very helpful.

He advised to put 22lr and 17HMR no problem (with mods). He also stated that there is no legal min calibre for shooting fox? therefore either the .22 or 17HMR would be fine (range permitting) - but said i was making the right choise for selecting the 17HMR for fox purposes.

Sound right guys?

funny that as when I applied I only applied for a .22lr feo said that you cant shoot foxes with that so we'll add a .22cf on for you

obviously it's not just differnt counties deciding what is acceptable for fox. which feo came out to see you?

heanoid im in leigh, my fac used to have fox control for hmr on ticket, but they took it off, i did look it up and it is illeagal to use rimmy's for fox control, but yet you read magazines with write up's about shooting fox with hmr. at the end of the day are they anygood for the job, i have my doubts, early days i thought it was fantastic but recently, lets just say they havent been clean enough kills for my liking

Edited by dazzb

heanoid im in leigh, my fac used to have fox control for hmr on ticket, but they took it off, i did look it up and it is illeagal to use rimmy's for fox control, but yet you read magazines with write up's about shooting fox with hmr. at the end of the day are they anygood for the job, i have my doubts, early days i thought it was fantastic but recently, lets just say they havent been clean enough kills for my liking

ive been on 3 shoots were the FAC owner has shot 3 seperate foxes with .22lr at 70-85 yards, all clean kills no problems

thanks rookie hunter trying to sort out a .222 at the moment, have some permission over here on the bury side were i live be nice to go out with someone when im sorted maybe we could join up for some outings, how long have you been in the

shooting game ? :thumbs:

its daz mate rooky hunter is becouse im pretty new on here like yours is newbie, i also have .222 on my ticket but they just wont give me an open ticket for one, so i just stick to the rimmy's, ive been shooting for 25 years, ive had a shotgun licence since i was 15 and an fac for the past 5 years, im allways up for going out in good company mate just let me know, how about you how long have you been in the game and is it just shooting your into?(sorry for taking over the post should have pm'd you)

ive been on 3 shoots were the FAC owner has shot 3 seperate foxes with .22lr at 70-85 yards, all clean kills no problems

I would be surprised if it was on his ticket but cant say its not

which feo said no minimum legal calibre for fox?

l hunter, whats that got to do with anything, what the keeper does doesnt make it legal, probably most keepers out with a .22lr would have a go at a fox but if thats his chosen calibre he cant be much of a keeper, it's just not the tool for the job and if he was honest he would have more wounded than clean kills at 70 - 85 yards

ps just edited to say you never mentioned keeper, my mistake but the principal is still the same regardless who it is

Edited by dazzb

I have 22lr and 17hmr on my ticket,the 22lr is for vermin and ground game,and the 17hmr is for vermin, ground game and fox.the 17hmr is a capable round for the dispatch of fox,just be aware of your distances and you should have no problems.

like ive said fatboy it depends where you live for the hmr(they do it just to confuse us).

do you not find that if your shot is a bit off and hits hard bone around the front shoulder area, you tend to get bad flesh wounds?????????????????

like ive said fatboy it depends where you live for the hmr(they do it just to confuse us).

do you not find that if your shot is a bit off and hits hard bone around the front shoulder area, you tend to get bad flesh wounds?????????????????

I find the trauma of the hmr round is usually enough to stop the fox on the spot,even when it hits bone it does enough damage to do the job,but i agree a misplaced shot could end in a bad flesh wound if it hits the shoulder.

My shooting partner uses 223 and you can see why it is recommended for fox,it is an awesome fox stopper.

I would be surprised if it was on his ticket but cant say its not

which feo said no minimum legal calibre for fox?

I would rather not give his name to be fair, but leicestershire firearms dept will if asked. These were his words, I obviously asked the question as i wanted to get the application right. He had no problem with me applying for 17HMR, but during the conversation said that as there is no minimim calibre for fox, it would not be an offence to shoot one (within range) with a .22