Coursing Video

I know nothing at all about coursing or lurchers so was just doing a bit of reading and found this video. I thought it was quite nicely done.

Two things I thought

1)Those dogs look like they are having so much fun :D

2)Holy foook those hares/rabbits are bloody fast!!! :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

Oh and how come the owner runs like mad towards the dog as soon as it catches the hare? Is it to stop it chewing it up?

Edited by Nik_B

I know nothing at all about coursing or lurchers so was just doing a bit of reading and found this video. I thought it was quite nicely done.

Two things I thought

Oh and how come the owner runs like mad towards the dog as soon as it catches the hare? Is it to stop it chewing it up?

sorry didnt read post through

Edited by watchman

Two things I thought

i think they are re-captured many times,to run again

Saying shit like that will get coursing men an even worse name! Thats competative greyhound coursing from what i can see, the reason the nearest bloke runs like hell to the catch (on the rare occasion there is one) is to ensure a clean dispatch. As with most forms of hunting with more than one dog, once the quarry is caught the two dogs both want the hare and so its more humane if someone gets there and deals with it. Coursing greyhounds are bred purely for 'the chase' and not for the whole shabang like lurchers so dont really retreive live hares etc.

• Like 1

Two things I thought

Saying shit like that will get coursing men an even worse name! Thats competative greyhound coursing from what i can see, the reason the nearest bloke runs like hell to the catch (on the rare occasion there is one) is to ensure a clean dispatch. As with most forms of hunting with more than one dog, once the quarry is caught the two dogs both want the hare and so its more humane if someone gets there and deals with it. Coursing greyhounds are bred purely for 'the chase' and not for the whole shabang like lurchers so dont really retreive live hares etc.

my fault entirely,had to many :drink: ,didnt see the link,i just read,and presumed he was talking about coursing in middle eastern countries,where i have seen the hare captured by dog un-harmed.

think before i drink,before i read,before i post,sorry about that :notworthy:

Two things I thought

my fault entirely,had to many :drink: ,didnt see the link,i just read,and presumed he was talking about coursing in middle eastern countries,where i have seen the hare captured by dog un-harmed.

think before i drink,before i read,before i post,sorry about that :notworthy:

:thumbs:

Thats competative greyhound coursing from what i can see, the reason the nearest bloke runs like hell to the catch (on the rare occasion there is one) is to ensure a clean dispatch. As with most forms of hunting with more than one dog, once the quarry is caught the two dogs both want the hare and so its more humane if someone gets there and deals with it. Coursing greyhounds are bred purely for 'the chase' and not for the whole shabang like lurchers so dont really retreive live hares etc.

What is the difference between using a greyhound and a lurcher? Did the sports develop seperately? I read somewhere that the Lurchers were bread by gypsies in Ireland for catching hares for food.

Also when they run two dogs does the dog that catch the hare win or are they working as a team?

Thats competative greyhound coursing from what i can see, the reason the nearest bloke runs like hell to the catch (on the rare occasion there is one) is to ensure a clean dispatch. As with most forms of hunting with more than one dog, once the quarry is caught the two dogs both want the hare and so its more humane if someone gets there and deals with it. Coursing greyhounds are bred purely for 'the chase' and not for the whole shabang like lurchers so dont really retreive live hares etc.

What is the difference between using a greyhound and a lurcher? Did the sports develop seperately? I read somewhere that the Lurchers were bread by gypsies in Ireland for catching hares for food.

Also when they run two dogs does the dog that catch the hare win or are they working as a team?

There will be people on here that know better than me, greyhound coursing is all about how well the dogs course the hare or pressure it, NOT about the kill. Points are awarded to the first dog to the hare, for turning the hare (greater the angle the hare turns the more points awarded as the hare has been pressured harder), the 2 dogs are competing and after the course (kill or not) the winning dog is the highest scoring. But i stress this is doubled up competative greyhound coursing, a sport not an effective means of putting meat on the table. The lurcher was bred (whichever of the many tales you beleive)to put meat on the table and so with competative lurcher coursing the dogs are judged on their ability to do just that, course, catch and kill. The sport of competative lurching coursing is about 'matching' dogs, most kills wins is the simplest way to explain. These hybreds are pure hare killing machines, completely different animal to the greyhound really.

Two things I thought

The man running towards the dog has a yellow arm band on, this denotes he is an appointed "field marshall", and his job is to dispatch the hare as soon as possible.

Edited by inan
  • 3 months later...