Best Carp Baits

Guest Fishaben

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another method you could try with a method feeder would be to cut out some artificial tiger nuts out of cork,soak them in a flavour of your choice for a few days,use them on a hair rig as a pop up,a string of 3 or 4 would also help deter unwanted fish :)

Guest Fishaben

Ive been thinking about that actually Hafod, and PP, I tend to find that the 10mms pick up bream all the time on our water unless fished over a parti mix, even then that still picks up bream but it will deffo pick up a carp. I use 10mms on 1 rod and 15mms on another, I still get bream on the 15mm. but yeh, someone I know uses 10mms over a parti mix all the time and they always catch carp, they have to use 1 hell of a lot of parti mix though to feed off the bream, lol.

cheers,

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

I would just like all your opinions on what carp baits you think are best for this time of the year when fished on the bottom ???

Ben

hi if it was me i would use the source on the bottom and feed lose particals but dont over feed becuase in the winter to much feed can put them off

Guest Fishaben

hi sureshot,

thats is exactly the method that works on my water, especialy the particle mix. I know someone who goes there all the time and they use the source, on the bottom, over a particle mix and they catch every time. How do you get your particle mix out there, bait boat???

Cheers,

Ben

hi sureshot,

thats is exactly the method that works on my water, especialy the particle mix. I know someone who goes there all the time and they use the source, on the bottom, over a particle mix and they catch every time. How do you get your particle mix out there, bait boat???

Cheers,

Ben

hi you could either use P.V.A bags or P.V.a mesh or if your fishing at long range you could use a spod but if you want to lanch out boiles use a throwing stick

hope this helps

sureshot, with particle mix you have to soak it in water for it to expand so that it doesnt do so in the fish and kill it. So if the mix is wet how do you put it in a pva bag or mesh????

Ben

mix with an oil base liquid eg spicy chicken or spicey shrimp

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate il put a list of the following baits ive found that are worth a GOOD look at....Mainline pop-ups in pineapple,maple.....16mm Halibut pellet hair rigged with either PVA mesh or a PVA bag filled with halibut/trout pellets (if fishing a bag pour in some liquid molasses) ....Enterprise tackle pop-up boilies in differant sizes and flavourings ( these do very well in the winter months ) also pop-up corn by them the tutti fruity range is brilliant as is the crab and garlic.When mixing any ground bait use some of the cheap salmon and shrimp paste they sell in tesco/asda/sainsburys.....mix it with the lake water,about half the small jar and they go mad for the oily fish smell,,another little tip ive found that gets the edge is to soak a couple of high visibility boilies in a warm solution of salt water a few days before you go,salt is a stimulant to fish and try this one out for definate....as for groundbait use Dynamite Baits halibut pellet in the silver/blue bag and Swimstim Koi amino black or Betaine green.If you mix these right they fizz in the water.....combine some of the above baits with the groundbait and you wont go far wrong.A tin of Van Den Eynde strawberry,tutti fruity or green lipped muscle corn mixed in with the groundbait will send them barmy too but do decrease the feed now in the colder months,but if you fish two rods try fishing a pop-up on one rod and halibut pellet on the other....let me know how you go ....also what size hooks/hairs are you using? :thumbs-up:

Edited by dougie_s410k
Guest Fishaben

lots of useful tips there dougie s410k. I will sure have to test some of these out on my water, as if they work they must be good to catch on my water. I'm using size 6/8 rig marole rigs.

Ill let you know how I get on next time i go out (although it will be after christmas).

Cheers,

Ben

lots of useful tips there dougie s410k. I will sure have to test some of these out on my water, as if they work they must be good to catch on my water. I'm using size 6/8 rig marole rigs.

Ill let you know how I get on next time i go out (although it will be after christmas).

Cheers,

Ben

Keep an eye on the water temprature this time of year Ben if you are using PVA or oils of any kind.......once it cools right off, the PVA wont melt and the oil wont dissolve...........hairs 38mm to 50mm long.....it works :yes: ........standard hair rig knotless knot, no bits and bobs of tube ect.........the long hair will give good seperation from bait to hook, belive me mate, you wont miss many.......dont worry about this rig or that rig or a fecking oil rig.........keep it simple bud.........all these rigs are dreamed up to SELL bits of crap to you & me mate ;) ...........much more important to get you baiting pattern & amounts correct.

JOEB

a good quality pva mesh will mostly always melt...just in cold temperatures they take a bit longerrrrrr......as for the rigs...well thats down to your personal preferance, but some of the new rigs out are quality and do catch alot of carp a simple stiff rig works well....never failed me :) make them yourself and save a fortune :thumbs-up: