what calibre for muntjac?????????

Hi

If you have just got it, it should be printed on your ticket, as it has only been allowed for the last few months, and will only be applied on renewal or if you ask for it.

As spuddy43 states it MUST be weight and energy of the bullet, with a .22 cf. As far as deer go that's it! shoot a roe or something like that, get caught doing it, and it's probably bye bye ticket, unless your in Scotland where you can shoot roe as well.

Talk about Heath Robinson Laws???????????????????????

Join BASC, you know it makes sense! Ring them if you've got any problems, or not sure of something.

just got firearms cert can i use my 22 for muntjac or do i need biger calibre

what do you use

sorry it is in the rong place

Gererally as others have already said, but a bit more....

Minimum .22 centerfire

Minimum 50gr bullet

Minimum 1000ft/lbs

AND Expanding Ammo

ALL of them, not just one or two!!!

That will make it legal for England and Wales, if you have permission to shoot on deer land AND you have a Deer Condition on your FAC.

You must have a specific Deer condition (in this instance it is likely to list CWD and Muntjac Specifically), if you don't you cannot shoot them! Did you ask for Deer on the application??

I think that's it, someone will pick me up if I've forgotton something!!

Edited by Deker

hi deker just out of interest on my fac under .22cf it says fox and any other legal quarry does that mean i could shoot muntjac and cwd ect i didnt ask for deer as i dont yet do any stalking, but i am looking at doing my dsc 1 and joining a syndicate this year (hense the question lol) the chap at my local gun shop says it means i can shoot deer as thats what it says on his licence but i was under the impression it had to say the word DEER or do you think its just a difference between different constabularies,

cheers adam

hi deker just out of interest on my fac under .22cf it says fox and any other legal quarry does that mean i could shoot muntjac and cwd ect i didnt ask for deer as i dont yet do any stalking, but i am looking at doing my dsc 1 and joining a syndicate this year (hense the question lol) the chap at my local gun shop says it means i can shoot deer as thats what it says on his licence but i was under the impression it had to say the word DEER or do you think its just a difference between different constabularies,

cheers adam

That is a relatively new wording agreed by ACPO, it is being introduced across all regions to help clarify matters.

IT WILL NOT! Quite simply because the wording will still be interpreted differently in different regions.

The idea was to list a SINGLE Highest level quarry, and then add the new wording, ie you can shoot everything BELOW not above.

Deer and other lawful quarry means, you can shoot deer and fox and rabbit and squirrel etc..

Fox and other lawful quarry means, you can shoot fox and rabbit and squirrel, etc (NOT DEER)

See what I mean, it was meant to make life easier and less confusing...I don't think so!!!

My understanding was that this would only appear on OPEN FAC initially, is yours OPEN??

Like I said, the wording was introduced to make everything clearer, it will not and you need to clarify this with your region!!

Edit, just remembered, I know of one region interpreting this as listing your "main" quarry and not highest, how they establish that is beyond me....Confused?? :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Edited by Deker

just got firearms cert can i use my 22 for muntjac or do i need biger calibre

what do you use

sorry it is in the rong place

Gererally as others have already said, but a bit more....

Minimum .22 centerfire

Minimum 50gr bullet

Minimum 1000ft/lbs

AND Expanding Ammo

ALL of them, not just one or two!!!

That will make it legal for England and Wales, if you have permission to shoot on deer land AND you have a Deer Condition on your FAC.

You must have a specific Deer condition (in this instance it is likely to list CWD and Muntjac Specifically), if you don't you cannot shoot them! Did you ask for Deer on the application??

I think that's it, someone will pick me up if I've forgotton something!!

cheers mate that help alot thank you

im a bit thick when it comes to reading things proplery lol

cheers adam

That is a relatively new wording agreed by ACPO, it is being introduced across all regions to help clarify matters.

IT WILL NOT! Quite simply because the wording will still be interpreted differently in different regions.

The idea was to list a SINGLE Highest level quarry, and then add the new wording, ie you can shoot everything BELOW not above.

Deer and other lawful quarry means, you can shoot deer and fox and rabbit and squirrel etc..

Fox and other lawful quarry means, you can shoot fox and rabbit and squirrel, etc (NOT DEER)

See what I mean, it was meant to make life easier and less confusing...I don't think so!!!

My understanding was that this would only appear on OPEN FAC initially, is yours OPEN??

Like I said, the wording was introduced to make everything clearer, it will not and you need to clarify this with your region!!

Edit, just remembered, I know of one region interpreting this as listing your "main" quarry and not highest, how they establish that is beyond me....Confused?? :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Two things to note here - firstly, if you have had 22 CF for fox for several years and have not had a variation, you will still be covered by the ACPO guidelines from about 2008 where they said that you can shoot deer without a condition, UNTIL such time as your ticket goes in for variation - if at that time you do not request it, then you can't. Other than that you do need the condition.

Secondly, Deker I agree completely about the intended consequences of the new wording. However, the FAC is a legal document, in so far as the conditions printed on it form a legally binding document, specifically referenced in law. It is an offence to fail to comply with the terms of your FAC. Therefore, while you will undoubtedly get moaned at by Plod for shooting deer with a ticket worded 'fox and other legal quarry', you cannot be prosecuted solely for this.

If you have such a ticket and comply fully with deer legislation, there is diddly squat they can do - deer is a perfectly legal quarry, so as long as you've not broken any other law, it's fine.

This applies because in Law, the Home Office guidelines, ACPO directives etc count for diddly squat unless permitted to by one of the Acts, and they're not.

With regard to my first point about the ACPO guidelines in 2008 for smaller deer, this isn't a change of law, merely a directive from ACPO to the regions not to prosecute you - it is technically still illegal.

So we are in complete agreement about one thing mate - the new conditions are just making things worse!

cheers decker and mr L, in answer to your question deker no my ticket is not open it is a first grant, i will ring my firearms dept on monday and get it clarified, i will post what they say.

atb adam

To be honest, with the latest wording and the massive inconsistances that still exist between the regions, thats the only way to be sure!! :thumbs: