What caliber do you like for fox shooting?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would anybody agree that it is not appropriate to shoot a fox with an air rifle / pistol on cruelty, humane and welfare grounds in or out of a trap? I am aware of the relavant Laws & Legislations.

I understand that some think it is ok? (not necessarily from this particular site)

Edited by Urban Fox Control London

Thats crazy. My FEO agreed that as I was regularly dispatching urban foxes that a .22lr pistol would be more acceptable and sensible than a rifle as it was to be used at close-quarters, and thats what he authorised me to have. (After a 6 page written statement/report).

My FAC's additional conditions for the pistol are:

6. The .22RF Single Shot Pistol and ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used only in connection with the humane killing of foxes during the course of the holders duties as Pest Controller.

Edited by Urban Fox Control London

I did shoot a fox in the back garden that was extremely mange infested with my air rifle (air arms s410 .22) It was from an upstairs window and the range was less than 15 yards, at that distance i put the pellet straight through its eye ball and it dropped like a stone.

I did shoot a fox in the back garden that was extremely mange infested with my air rifle (air arms s410 .22) It was from an upstairs window and the range was less than 15 yards, at that distance i put the pellet straight through its eye ball and it dropped like a stone.

Mate read the rules :censored::wallbash:

Enough said. :censored::censored:

and what would happen if you injuried it ! that is silly using a air rifle

if as stated the fox was mange ridden then (although by no means the right tool for the job!!) a clean kill with an air rifle is better than letting it suffer. the germans have a saying " any safe shot is just when the animal is deadly sick" (loses a bit in translation :icon_redface: ).

and indeed the european court sees the welfare of an animal above the firearms legislations.

for example a bull severly injured can be shot by a hunter( who posses firearms ONLY for hunting)and are often called out by the police to do so( higher powered weapons,police use 9mm para and would have to get too close).

i'm not saying that its ok to shoot any sickly looking animal with an air rifle( or any other inappropriate weapon) but in cases where the suffering must be immense any means must be ok to bring it to an end.

back to the thread:

i have shot alot of foxes with 3006spr( purely because i always had it with me).i had a rem mohawk in .222 which accounted for a fair few.

the shotgun has undoubtedly had more than both of those rifles bolted to it by the wee dogs,this has to be my favorite method of fox hunting overall.

yis

I understand that maybe you didn't have the right tool for the job but you could always call on someone here to do the deed for you. I've got an open FAC, a quick message from anyone local and I'd happily come out to make sure the job's done properly. I'm sure most people would.

I would never suggest shooting a Fox with a standard air rifle. It's hit and miss whether it would penetrate far enough to do the deed, let alone cleanly.

Enough said. :censored::censored:

Lets get a few things straight here, and let me make the point up front that I do not advocate using air rifles on fox nor am I defending anyone for doing so.

You guys are far too blinkered here, there "may" be a situation where this is appropriate, this is not a black and white issue, although on the whole it is probably nearer black than white!

What are these rules??? Perhaps you would be kind enough to point them out at it is news to me! Rules can only be based on Legislation, otherwise it is guidance and suggestion, there is NO legislation that I am aware of that says you cannot shoot a fox with an Air Rifle!

Please don't start quoting all sorts of "CRUELTY" Legislation, NOWHERE in any of this is shooting fox with an air rifle ILLEGAL, it may well be suggested it is not recommended or not up to the job, but that does NOT make it illegal, any case would have to be proved!

So, whilst we may all have an opinion, legally that remains all it is, an opinion!

:thumbs::thumbs:

PS

Perhaps this would be better as a seperate thread, I don't see anyone advocating an air rifle as an Ideal fox tool!!

PPS

Please read carefully particularly bearing in mind the bit in red!!

Under normal circumstances i would never advocate using an air rifle, but i did on this occasion as the .243 out the window would be highly illegal and dangerous as would the shotgun. The fox was barely moving it was that ill, the air rifle in question is an air arms pcp and is fac so it did the job.

bit of a tricky one, i think its a case of you cant do right for doing wrong, do you leave the animal to suffer and die a slow painful death, or do something that is very much frowned upon to put it out of its misery, I DO NOT IN ANY WAY AGREE WITH SHOOTING FOXES WITH AIR GUNS but an fac rated airgun at 15 yards did the job, it may not be classed as humane , but is it humane to leave the animal suffering?

Edited by adamthomas64