pet magpie

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a baby crow on the floor when I was at primary school. We built a rough wooden lean to aviary to keep it in and called it shadow. After 6 months of feeding it scraps, dogfood and insects it flew off and left us for good.

Fantastic thread! :thumbs:

I had a jackdaw briefly when I was a kid, I gave it back to the lad who give it to me in the end, because he missed it. I also took a young maggie home once, after a cat had had it. I spent all day with it, had it feeding from me, etc, but then my old man came home from work and made me get rid of it. :(

when i first got it id give it lob worms and bread soaked in egg and milk,was soon big enough to eat most household scraps though.my old mans jackdaw could talk,iv heard they would split their tongue to make them talk easier,never tried it though,just spent hours with it saying JACK,JACK over and over,bloody thing never uttered a word lol.

would go into next doors house through an open window and bring back all sorts,mainly make up though in them shiny little cases and the odd set of keys.

it was loose day and night and could of gone at any time,i do remember loosing it once,sometimes when my old girl put the washing out i would lock it in the shed,at her request,shitting on it would have been a sure fire GET RID,rememberd the following day when it never met me from school,still locked in the shed, little f****r was squaking at me like a good en,no harm done thanks for reading,some great pics there lads atvb rob :thumbs:

when i first got it id give it lob worms and bread soaked in egg and milk,was soon big enough to eat most household scraps though.my old mans jackdaw could talk,iv heard they would split their tongue to make them talk easier,never tried it though,just spent hours with it saying JACK,JACK over and over,bloody thing never uttered a word lol.

True my Grandad told me to split the tongue with a sixpence :icon_eek:

Never did it and it never talked: :)

I fed mine bread and milk, totally wrong I now know, but as he got older we just fed him kitchen scraps, he was never caged and just slept in the roof of my dads shed and fed himself in the end, he had just got the jackdaws silver head when he disappeared, I think he like many teenagers had discovered the opposite sex and was led astray.

good read mae brown or white bread best? what kind of house hold scraps

oh mate defo brown the one with all the seeds on it,and as for scraps well you know all the usuall,steak chips grilled toms and peas was allways a favourite,mind you chicken vindaloo was a close second and make sure the eggs are free range :rolleyes:

My great uncle had a magpie and a jackdaw at some stage.

The magpie was free all day and used to come when he called it.

Tame as you like it was!

Drowned itself in a waterbutt, being territorial thought there was an intruder so kept jumping at it.

Got waterlogged and we found it floating!

The jackdaw was just as tame that just dissapeared one day!

Old wives tale was if you split a jackdaws tongue you could get it to talk!

My great uncle had a magpie and a jackdaw at some stage.

The magpie was free all day and used to come when he called it.

Tame as you like it was!

Drowned itself in a waterbutt, being territorial thought there was an intruder so kept jumping at it.

Got waterlogged and we found it floating!

The jackdaw was just as tame that just dissapeared one day!

Old wives tale was if you split a jackdaws tongue you could get it to talk!

Drowned itself in a waterbutt, being territorial thought there was an intruder so kept jumping at it. :clapper:

Guest fence_hopper

oh mate defo brown the one with all the seeds on it,and as for scraps well you know all the usuall,steak chips grilled toms and peas was allways a favourite,mind you chicken vindaloo was a close second and make sure the eggs are free range :rolleyes:

pmsl :laugh: still non the wiser

pmsl :laugh: still non the wiser

anything i could find mate,worms,insects my old man used be keen gardener so compost heap was a good source of food items,raw meat ie chopped rabbit liver,kidney ect and anything my old girl was preparing for dinner that i could swipe un-noticed,to be fair the list is endless :thumbs: atb rob

Edited by watchman