deerhound x greyhounds

I had a couple in the early 70s both 3/4 grey 1/4 deer hound, slow to start, they are muckle in the beginning, running wide, overshooting,

there quarry, then they get balanced out, about 18 months to 2 years old, good genuine dogs, when they get going, and very strong ideal for today's deer, both dogs stood around 28" and good length, nose, stamina, good feet, and both had good coats and I liked the beard on one of them, the only downside is waiting for them to mature and balance out, (( around 2years) strong powerful dogs with a very kind temperament

which did you prefair mate the 1/2 cross or 3/4?

they were both 3/4 bred, they are Ideal for the deer job, and both were rough coated, they were a common breed in the 60s and 70s

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My pup is a genuine 1st x, Doxhope Knights Errant x Rivington Eva; and she is rough coated. Cheers.

You won't regret getting this cross. Don't work it hard too early, let it mature slowly. Good nose, feet and easy on the eye as well.

Posted Images

3/4 grey 1/4 deer , my choice of dog for many years , ideal deerhunting dogs , what people often forget is that not only did the GOOD deer dogs have to have size and strength to tackle deer bigger than roe , but they had to be quick. Some 2nd x were also quick enough , but no matter what the breeding you have to keep the speed. I wouldnt recommend them for rabbitting , there have to be 10or 12 better breeds of lurcher for that game. I wouldnt run 28 and 30inch dogs on rabbits , just asking for injuries , sure they can do a half decent job , but it just aint their game

does anyone have or know of any deer grey x grey whippet? its a x would be interested in the future. the whippet to bring size down abit? would want a bitch abou 25-26. to retrieve everything. pics be good.

cheers

does anyone have any experience with them for having a taste for terriers??? some of the old lurcher books describe them as fox dogs as well as terrier killers

as I said it was a common breed, in the 60s/70s and I saw plenty of that xs but I never saw one fight or attack another lurcher in the hunting field,they are a very placid, type of dog, easy going,temperament, they were more suited for the deer, A Lad from Carlisle, had one

back also in the early 70s DERECK,STAMPER, he will be in his mid 60s now, a big lemon and white dog, rough coat, a fantastic looking lurcher

he could run all over Hares, but could just not pick them up, but for Deer, he was dynamite, if anyone knows dereck, give him my regards,

I used to take one out for a chap in the 70s a big steel grey couloured dog at 32tts it run at draks and won some shows rebel he was called even though he was an average dog he did produce some outstanding pups the once he was bred to a small collie/grey.atb dell

Very good dogs. but as stated, if [bANNED TEXT] after something for alot of rabbit control go for something smaller. but bigger game is what you want then i wouldnt complain. Noddy , of what i have seen the 2nd bred half x have been the best. brings the size down also. goood luck

I'm also looking at getting deerhound/greyhound x, but when breeding is there away of breeding to make sure you get rough haired or is just down to pot luck?

most litters,first and 2nd x was rough coats some more than others, but believe you me, I have a 3/4 grey/ 1/4 beardie, only 12 months old

has a fantastic nose on him, and has done 2 roe single handed, the dog weighs about 68lb 26" and half, smooth coat, ((( why go for a xs that you have to wait untill there almost 2 year old before there are doing there job,((( and those 2 I mentioned was done broad daylight, and this sapling has been nursed along, encouraged to use his nose, to hunt a wood and rough cover, he was only at rabbits got his first daylight rabbit when he was about 7 and half months old, hunted it up and retrievd back to hand, then I took out on the lamp with a first class dog, collie x with a smidgen of saluki in him, a strike like a cobra, and retrieves all back to hand alive, I held him up so he could see how a top dog works, he was around 9 months old then on his first outing, nursed again only a couple of slips, and so on never has he ever been,over tasked, he is only a sapling, and he has taken everything in his stride in a natural way, and I hope he never sees a fox, untill he is at least 2and half year, old in truth it would please me if he never saw one, a fox is nothing, (( I do not know anyone who has tried to eat that fellow, time, has moved on since the greyhound x deerhound, they are a fantastic, looking dog,great temp, but oh boys they

are MUCKLE, but eventually, when they get balanced out, yes they can do there job, but NO BETTER, than a good collie xs,

I'm also looking at getting deerhound/greyhound x, but when breeding is there away of breeding to make sure you get rough haired or is just down to pot luck?

I have it in a book somewhere that 1st cross Deerhound x greyhound is ALWAYS smooth if both sides are pure bred. Second cross you can get rough coats.

My pup is a genuine 1st x, Doxhope Knights Errant x Rivington Eva; and she is rough coated.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 1