Boars in Oz

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

Went for another look in the sorghum on Saturday night but did no good until after we camped and had another go just before dawn. Sprung a few little ones trotting in and grabbed two. They were lucky to be about 15kgs dressed so we didn't bother with the pix, thinking we might do better. Glad to get something but still can't find the pigs attached to some big tracks we've found. Highlight for me was Roger finding one of them on his own and grabbing it. Obviously nothing in stopping the pig but very pleased it occurred to him to get out and get his own. Small steps on the path to working...

Paul grabbed three on a new place he's picked up on Friday night but again nothing worth photographing.

So to keep the pix ticking over here's a few more of the family. These are a couple of Simon's. The black dog is Buster, he's a Kevin RIP x Hannah and a brother to Roger, Suzie, BJ, Del etc. The hairy white bitch is Tess, bred by ScottS and a sister to Bindi. They are Scotty the dog x Paris RIP. The pair are off to Queensland with Simon who is moving for work so they'll get a run in the heat.

p2280748.jpg

Cheers.

Guest eastmids

[quote name='Effortless' date='21 February 2010 - 02:54 PM' Robert Ruark once wrote that the bulls always look at you as if you owe them money... I think you know what he means!!

Effortless.

Robert Ruark once wrote that the bulls always look at you as if you owe them money... I think you know what he means!!

:laugh::clapper:

Edited by eastmids

Here's another vid...

The dogs are Bucks and Pepper. Bucks is a bullarab owned by Brett and Pepper is one of ours. Bucks barks on the ear while he's lugged up. That can help you find them in the dark quicker than the tracking gear. Brett calls Jess a pup in for a look but she's off camera. Paul rolls the boar and sticks it.

All can get a bit wild in the dark but this boar is well under control.

Cheers.

• Like 2

You know you have a decent boar when there's no squealing. On the vid listen to how the boar just grunts as he tries to work the dogs into a position to hurt them...The boars will squeal a bit (sometimes) when you get them on their side and it's all over but some never make a sound. Very focussed animal.

You can hear Brett said 'you could see them pick up then...' That means the intensity of the dogs increases on the boar as it tries to muscle them around. On this boar Bucks was 12 months old. Pepper the smaller of the two is about six and knows the ropes.

Re wolfhound in our dogs, couldn't really say a percentage...not much now but there's not much of any of the original breeds. Once you cross dogs and follow a family line they become a new animal rather than a per cent of this and a per cent of that. And you can cross show stock and get workers, therte's still a lot of wolf in all dogs. They just need to be structurally and mentally sound and the rest takes care of itself sometimes from the first cross straight out of the ring.

And thanks again for the replies. I appreciate them all.

Cheers.

When all the posts are together it can look like we get top boars every time we go out but there can be a lot of time and dirt mixed with our boars. (A lot of dirt means lots of country to cover...)

Often it can take months to 'pattern' a particular boar ie work out just what time he is using a pad (path) or returning to an area. The pigs around here are hard pressed and learn to change their habits. Getting good pigs is a lot about having the enthusiasm to keep walking about night after night getting nothing...

Cheers.

G'day again,

Had a gardening day on the property with the sorghum crop so went for a look after work.

I picked up three with the young dogs, all small pigs and not usually what I'm looking for. But the crop patrols are all about pest control to the landholder. Afternoons don't often produce the big boars in our country but the little pigs are all good training. One was caught in the crop and two more outside on the way in. The pigs outside were caught among sheep so it was a good test for psyched up young dogs...

No dramas so the afternoon was a success IMO.

Two of the pigs on the rack. I had gardening tools on the tray of the truck so had the dog cage doors strapped back to allow more space for the dogs to work the breeze as we drove through the crop.

p3040761.jpg

Barney in the middle of the crop in a bit of rough unplanted ground.

p3040754.jpg

Barney and Gina grab a drink at a dam in one of the sorghum blocks.

p3040755.jpg

Cheers.